Shovel your whole sidewalk; not just your doorstep.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Shovel your whole sidewalk; not just your doorstep.

Post by shinatoo »

Did it snow?

I got to get out more.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

My sister used to live in Potomac MD.  Many years ago, there was a big storm.  Her son went outside to shovel and saw Arnold Schwartzeneger plowing the street in his Humvee.  The Shrivers lived nearby.

My ex-husband grew up in Western Michigan.  He always had to shovel and was really p.o.'ed that when he left home, his father bought a snow blower. 

As a kid, we always turned on the radio in the morning to see what schools were closed.  Snow days were a real treat.  We would bundle up and play outside.  We looked like that kid in 'A Christmas Story' who was so bundled up that when he fell down, he couldn't get up.  Our house always smelled like wet wool.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

I walked to work downtown today (just over a mile), and the shoveling situation is pretty dismal. I'd guess that one in thirty of the walks in front of homes and businesses had been cleared, and some of the parking lots had actually been cleared ONTO the adjacent sidewalks, covering them with a good 3' bank of snow.

I smell an untapped revenue stream...
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I make sure my sidewalk is cleared. The apartment buildings and house on either side of me don't, and afaict nobody else on the block does, either.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

drumatix wrote: I walked to work downtown today (just over a mile), and the shoveling situation is pretty dismal. I'd guess that one in thirty of the walks in front of homes and businesses had been cleared, and some of the parking lots had actually been cleared ONTO the adjacent sidewalks, covering them with a good 3' bank of snow.

what was your route? did you have to cross truman?
Northlander
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Northlander »

drumatix wrote: I walked to work downtown today (just over a mile), and the shoveling situation is pretty dismal. I'd guess that one in thirty of the walks in front of homes and businesses had been cleared, and some of the parking lots had actually been cleared ONTO the adjacent sidewalks, covering them with a good 3' bank of snow.

Last winter, I saw a business on Charlotte (just south of Truman) that routinely plowed their snow across the street and onto the sidewalk. It boggles my mind that any business who does this is not fined a large sum of money.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I can't get over this photo of the Dog Nuvo owners.  :shock:

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

It's a public safety issue, but leaving it to the public with no penalty for not complying is asking or exactly what we have now.

It would make sense to me if the city employed/contracted a large temporary shoveling brigade, and enforced the shoveling ordinance by taking note of who is not shoveling in a reasonable amount of time by sending their people over to shovel, at a punitive rate, which is then tacked onto the property owner's property taxes or utilities.

If you hit people in the wallet, they will fall in line.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

After covering another ten more miles of the downtown area on foot, I've discovered why the city will never be able to fine people for not shoveling. They'd look like hypocritical jerks for doing so (I realize there are probably plenty of other reasons).

Sidewalks on city-owned properties are some of the worst offenders that I'd seen, including sidewalks on bridges (forcing pedestrians to walk in the street), and in front of schools. Until the city gets its own act together, I actually hope that they don't start fining private property owners.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

State is responsible for bridges I believe Dave has indicated.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

What properties downtown does the city own besides City Hall and parks?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Perhaps this specific issue (not the city clearing streets) should be brought up at a mayoral forum?
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

bahua wrote: What properties downtown does the city own besides City Hall and parks?
I'd assumed that they own all the bridges over freeways and train tracks, none of which had cleared sidewalks.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

drumatix wrote: After covering another ten more miles of the downtown area on foot, I've discovered why the city will never be able to fine people for not shoveling. They'd look like hypocritical jerks for doing so (I realize there are probably plenty of other reasons).

Sidewalks on city-owned properties are some of the worst offenders that I'd seen, including sidewalks on bridges (forcing pedestrians to walk in the street), and in front of schools. Until the city gets its own act together, I actually hope that they don't start fining private property owners.
Didn't Lawrence, KS pull this crap last year after the Xmas storm? I thought people had received fines for sidewalks, while the city neglected theirs. I could be misremembering.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by splash »

bahua wrote: It's a public safety issue, but leaving it to the public with no penalty for not complying is asking or exactly what we have now.

It would make sense to me if the city employed/contracted a large temporary shoveling brigade, and enforced the shoveling ordinance by taking note of who is not shoveling in a reasonable amount of time by sending their people over to shovel, at a punitive rate, which is then tacked onto the property owner's property taxes or utilities.

If you hit people in the wallet, they will fall in line.
I would be LIVID if I got hit with a fee for not shoveling my sidewalk when the city's answer to plowing my road is to wait for the snow to melt.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Agreed. Some basic services need to improve.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

like all services, you do the best you can with what you've got... especially in areas where you can have a big impact. clearing some cul-de-sac for eight homes at NW 99th and gateview terrace (or whatever) isn't nearly as important as sidewalks connecting two of the city's most walkable (and walked) neighborhoods.

the city is responsible for clearing the 670 bridges. they actually did it during the last snowfall, albeit several days later.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Why couldn't the CID workers be involved with any of this? Are they around in the winter?

From Rieger's fb wall 20 minutes ago:
C'mon Crossroads Residents. It should be a beautiful night for a snowy stroll down here for a Pendergast and Charcuterie Plate. We'll make sure the sidewalk is shoveled and salted for you!

:lol:
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

trailerkid wrote: Why couldn't the CID workers be involved with any of this? Are they around in the winter?

From Rieger's fb wall 20 minutes ago:

:lol:
The CID folks are very involved in snow removal.  At least in RiverMarket and the downtown loop, I saw them cleaning around pedestrian crossings in gangs of 4 or 5.  Can't expect them to take care of all the sidewalks though. Especially those for which the city is responsible.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

second that....the River Market CID does a decent job in at least trying to get out and shovel the intersections.  Maybe the RMCID and downtown CID should invest in a couple snow blowers?  couldn't you get one of those big industrial snow blowers and mount it to the front of the little trucks?