Suspicious death in Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Tragic beating in Westport

Post by KCPowercat »

They don't go to any of the bars. They are there to loiter.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote: They don't go to any of the bars. They are there to loiter.
Well, I think a majority of these "loiterers" do actually go to AP.  For those that never actually enter a bar - based upon my own observation - they loiter outside of America's Pub (club), not places like 180 or McCoys (neighborhood restuarants/bars).

If you want club crowds, encourage clubs (see NV or NRG).  If you want neighborhood crowds, encourage neighborhood restuarants/bars/retail (see everything but America's Pub).   
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They also don't hang around McCoy's etc due to more security right there and the fact that the streets are sometimes blocked off with access restricted....they still do that right?

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote: They also don't hang around McCoy's etc due to more security right there and the fact that the streets are sometimes blocked off with access restricted....they still do that right?
The restricted access checkpoints are usually along Westport Road at the Mill St. and Broadway intersections.  AP is at the intersection of Westport Rd. and Mill St.  

The security is always heavier at the Mill St. intersection than it is at the Pennsylvania intersection.  Not even close.  
Last edited by KC-wildcat on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

who owns america's pub locally? who owns the building it's in? kiva just says:
JFJ REAL ESTATE LIMITED PTP
4050 PENNSYLVANIA 215
KANSAS CITY, MO, 64111
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not clearly explaining my point it seems and its not that important. Nevermind.

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Regardless of what you think, this will not be good for race relations in KC.  Check out the latest comments on the Pitch article.  Just shocking. 
If this really was "11 black men with a bat," which has now been posted in the comments section and was the rumor floating around for the past few days, it is tragic and yet another example of racism in the city.  But I am amazed how many people, who have zero idea of what happened officially, are blaming a broad spectrum of people.  I also don't understand how there are so many reports of cell phone videos of the incident, yet nobody has actually seen one.  The longer the police draw out releasing details, the more angry people can't wait to say I told you so to people who don't want to spread unsubstantiated information.  I sincerely hope the police have held back details in efforts to catch whomever did this, because the not knowing has really stirred the pot.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

I would agree that America's Pub is clearly a problem, whether it's loiterers or actual paying customers.  The owner of the building needs to put pressure on the club operators/lessee to fix the problem or be evicted.  Unfortunately, AP has been there so long and probably pays their rent on time, which would create quite a dilemma for the property owner.  In which case the neighborhood association should pressure that person to do something about it.  Or liquor control could take action on the liquor license if they could show evidence that AP is somehow responsible.  

Seems like there are a lot of directions it could go.  Either way, if AP were to close the next person to rent that space would be under a lot of scrutiny from the neighborhood when it comes to receiving consents for the liquor license.  So it's unlikely that another place like that would ever open there.  
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Has anyone here ever been to America's Pub?  It's annoying, but hardly a den of violence.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote: I'm not clearly explaining my point it seems and its not that important. Nevermind.
Well, what's your point.  I'm curious. 

You seem to be suggesting that the "thug" crowd is a reality of Westport, notwithstanding the tenants in Westport.  In other words, even if America's Pub were replaced by a Country Kitchen buffet, thugs would still loiter out front. 

I simply disagree. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

voltopt wrote: Has anyone here ever been to America's Pub?  It's annoying, but hardly a den of violence.
But it draws in the types of people who are more likely to start fights and just do dumb shit in general.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Hearne Christopher is reporting that his body was found outside the Beaumont Club.

http://www.kcconfidential.com/?p=21140
Euston had been partying with friends at Kelly?s and his body was found along Mill Street between Kelly?s and the Beaumont Club, police say.
But neither Kelly's nor the Beaumont Club are on Mill so who knows what he's trying to say.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Hearne Christopher is reporting that his body was found outside the Beaumont Club.

But neither Kelly's nor the Beaumont Club are on Mill so who knows what he's trying to say.
that Christopher article is significant for another reason:

"Which brings us to the rumors ? some of which were floated by anonymous commenters on KC Confidential ? that Euston was badly beaten by black men and that a horrific video of the beating was in police hands.

Totally bogus, says Kansas City Police spokesman Darin Snapp.

?We would be calling this an assault and we would be looking for a suspect if that were the case,? Snapp says. ?The bad thing about people saying this kind of stuff is it?s hurting the family and it?s not helping our investigation. If somebody actually has information like this, please come forward. But thus far, no one has.?

As reported here  police await autopsy results ? possibly today ? which may determine is Euston was assaulted, hit by a car or fell and hit his head.

Unfortunately, the origin of the assault rumors seem to come from none other the KC Star, police say.

Unfortunately?

?It?s a very blatant mistake on their part,? Snapp says. ?But trying to get them to change something??

Here?s where the Star ? pardon my French ? fucked up.

What appears to be pretty much the exact same story that ran in yesterday?s print edition of the newspaper under the headline, ?Man who died ?could make everyone smile? ?ran on the Star?s Web site under the headline, ?Man who died in Westport beating ?could make everyone smile.??

Guess what? Neither story had anything in it about a beating.

?Uh, no,? Snapp says. ?We have never put that out, that he was beaten, hit by a car or fell on his head to this minute. We do not know how he received these injuries. And it?s totally false as far as us viewing any video of any beating. His uncle is a sergeant on the police department.?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Hearne Christopher is reporting that his body was found outside the Beaumont Club.

Also interesting that just a few weeks on that blog, Glazer was writing about how Westport was becoming safer, but America's Pub has got to go.

http://www.kcconfidential.com/?p=19838
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCMax wrote: Also interesting that just a few weeks on that blog, Glazer was writing about how Westport was becoming safer, but America's Pub has got to go.

http://www.kcconfidential.com/?p=19838
Saw that. Thought it was weird since Glazer spends most of his time on that site saying Westport is dead and gone because he and his roided up, cocaine-addled buddies don't go there anymore.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

WSPanic wrote: Saw that. Thought it was weird since Glazer spends most of his time on that site saying Westport is dead and gone because he and his roided up, cocaine-addled buddies don't go there anymore.
Don't forget how the smoking ban has stopped people from coming to bars.&
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

chrizow wrote: that Christopher article is significant for another reason:

Totally bogus, says Kansas City Police spokesman Darin Snapp.

We would be calling this an assault and we would be looking for a suspect if that were the case,? Snapp says. ?The bad thing about people saying this kind of stuff is it?s hurting the family and it?s not helping our investigation. If somebody actually has information like this, please come forward. But thus far, no one has.?

As reported here  police await autopsy results ? possibly today ? which may determine is Euston was assaulted, hit by a car or fell and hit his head.

Unfortunately, the origin of the assault rumors seem to come from none other the KC Star, police say.
well there it is.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCAppraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCAppraiser »

kcmetro wrote: But it draws in the types of people who are more likely to start fights and just do dumb shit in general.
Did crawl for cancer a few weekends ago and we started at AP.  When they opened up the door the bouncer announced to everybody to leave their knives at the door.  Everybody just looked at each other like WTF.  Thought that kind of summed up what type of place that is.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Drove by AP last night, and there were signs taped to the door which read "Scum."  Hope this is about the managers of the bar/people who may have been in the area and not racially charged.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

bobbyhawks wrote: Drove by AP last night, and there were signs taped to the door which read "Scum."  Hope this is about the managers of the bar/people who may have been in the area and not racially charged.
It's like having a "Welcome NASCAR Fans" or "Welcome Big XII Fans" sign up - they're just trying to attract their natural clientele.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.