Uptown Shoppes

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Uptown Shoppes

Post by horizons82 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:31 pm Wood construction as high quality as medieval-style half timbering and CLT unfortunately isn't what's being used in these five-over-one apartment projects though. As far as I know, it's basically the same stick frame system used on suburban homes, hotel's ect. Structures not exactly famous for aging gracefully. They also have a not-insignificant record of burning while under construction because it's mostly the systems keeping the building fire safe as opposed to the construction of the building itself.

If we can't figure out better sustainable building techniques, however, then we should figure out how to improve the public face of these buildings. Again, we once had a reliable system for producing appealing urban architecture. It can be done.
The aging issue is fairly irrelevant to the framing material in modern construction. There's plenty of older CMU or concrete & stucco homes in Florida and the carribean that look like complete crap. Owner's maintenance and city enforcement loom far larger in the longevity of a building. Let's also not forget how bad Union Station got in the 80s & 90s.

Single-family homes also abide by a far less strict building code than multifamily or commercial development.

I don't disagree that modern design often suffers from tight budgets. A middling market like KC is going to especially struggle. That said, it's worth acknowledging that modern building budgets are pulled in a lot more directions than the buildings of 100 years ago.

You have:
- far higher labor costs
- Tighter lending standards from banks
- far more stringent construction safety standards
- robust fire supression systems & egress requirements
- comprehensive heating and cooling
- physical disability access mandates throughout the building
- building code required & local sustainability requirements
- financier required parking amounts

And those are just some of the biggest ones. There's plenty of other challenges.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Hard hat tours are being offered
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

horizons82 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:22 pm
- robust fire supression systems & egress requirements
This held up the Union Carbide project 10+ years ago. The stairs not being constructed to fire standards meant this was the last item they finished.

That's a tiny thing but if stairwells have to be air tight it means someone is checking this like crazy.
This explains why so many stairwells are concrete block, it's really easy to get them air tight.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It's not hard to meet code with a stud wall construction. In my experience, the choice of material is usually down to cost and sequencing considerations. Occasionally it's the core is acting in some structural capacity like a shear wall.

Suspect the OP was referring to requirements for sprinklers in more building types/increased head spacing, and egress considerations like width and travel distance.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

Goonies wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:30 am I really cant stand the sign they have on the building.
Agreed! It really bothers me for some reason.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Phase 2 ordinance approved. No new images or site plans of the second phase. Ordinance attached in the attachments section.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ttachments
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So if I'm reading it right after a quick scan, hotel portion not surprisingly taken out for Phase 2 at corner Bway/Valentine and replaced with another apt building, 84 units. Curious it didn't come with Phase 2 renderings.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:31 am So if I'm reading it right after a quick scan, hotel portion not surprisingly taken out for Phase 2 at corner Bway/Valentine and replaced with another apt building, 84 units. Curious it didn't come with Phase 2 renderings.
There are plans with 2d renderings. This change was announced a long time ago.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:46 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:16 pm Groundfloor will be wrapped in stone and glazing despite being mostly parking!
Elevations and site plan. All apartments will be Studios and One Bedrooms.

Quoting to share plans again..
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Thanks, I missed that conversation a while back. Interested to see 3D renderings in context to entire site/street.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Converge KC's 213 units are 44 percent occupied. Phase Two's 84 units will break ground early next year. I hate the name. I preferred Uptown Lofts. The project provides up to 380 spaces to the Uptown Theater.

My hope is that at some point Sunflower will sell this project, and the new owners will give it a more sensible name. :roll: :lol:
The mix of apartments is 40 percent studios, 40 percent one-bedrooms and 20 percent two-bedrooms. Studios start at $995 per month and rents rise to $1,900 for two-bedroom units. Monthly parking costs $100 per space.
https://cityscenekc.com/converge-kc-apa ... DvXbTDTXtE
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Each residential floor includes its own gathering space.
Quirky if not a bit creepy...
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

That looks like a play pit for swingers...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The place is called Converge.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

This looks like the "other side" of that photo. They just need to re-direct the drains, not really a big issue.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Seriously. It's badly thought through but also not unique in KC.

The portico on the south side of the building looks surprisingly unfinished.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Goonies wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:24 pm This will go down as one of the worst apartment projects since those UMKC dorms

https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/com ... urce=share
Old photos show 4 or 5 drains dumping around that same location before they did the renovation. Guess they reduced it to 1. Not a hard fix
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Goonies wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:38 am Anyone know what's up with the dude sitting in the cage the last few days by The Uptown?
Does the gay bar have a cage dancer now? That used to be a thing.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:00 pm
Goonies wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:38 am Anyone know what's up with the dude sitting in the cage the last few days by The Uptown?
Does the gay bar have a cage dancer now? That used to be a thing.
HAHAHA!!! Only on a Bear Bust ;)
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I was trying to draw attention to the child trafficking and bio-labs in Ukraine, to gather support for Putin, who is trying to save us all from the deep state.