Plaza riot?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plaza riot?

Post by dangerboy »

Anyone hear about this?  The fact that Highwoods suppresses news about Plaza crimes is common knowledge, but I'd be surprised they could conceal something of this purported magnitude...

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2010/04/ ... t-and.html
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Plaza riot?

Post by mean »

If it's true, there's no way they can keep a lid on it. My guess is it was probably just a group of kids acting like fools and is being blown vastly out of proportion.

If not, though, we'll know soon enough.

Love the racist and classist comments, though.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

The comments section on there is outrageous.  Evidently black people (oh sorry "the Ghetto," I suppose that could be referring to anyone) have "ruined" Westport and the Plaza and soon they're coming for Legends and Zona Rosa (heaven forbid!), not to mention the multiple comments suggesting that this is Obama's fault.  Good lord.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

You elect one as President and all of a sudden they start acting all uppity. Before long they might even start looking white men in the eye, dare to step upon a white man's shadow, or worst of all, play music that makes white women tap their feet!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

hah, that sounds nuts.  Now I want to go see it in action  :P
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

oh... and by the way.... you guyz hear about the HUGE brawl in the Valencia garage?????

I wasn't there so i can't really vouch for it, but someone sent me this picture, they say it was captured by a security cam before it got smashed!!!:

KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

dangerboy wrote: Anyone hear about this?  The fact that Highwoods suppresses news about Plaza crimes is common knowledge, but I'd be surprised they could conceal something of this purported magnitude...

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2010/04/ ... t-and.html
I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW.

First all the unreported rapes at plaza parking garages and now this.

I guess I will be spending more of my time at Legends Premium Outlets- Kansas City, KS  :)
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Didn't know it at the time but I guess there was a riot every Sunday night at the roller rink two blocks away from the house we lived in 30 years ago.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

justin8216 wrote: I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW.

First all the unreported rapes at plaza parking garages and now this.

I guess I will be spending more of my time at Legends Premium Outlets- Kansas City, KS  :)
The irony of being so afraid of the plaza that you have to spend your time in WyCo instead is probably not lost on anyone.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

give me a break.  KCTV-5 would have been there in a heartbeat if it was anything serious at all.  sounds like some unruly adolescents.  i've witnessed a fight or near-riot at every suburban AMC i've ever been to on a weekend night - but they weren't black kids, so i guess it's okay.  one time at the independence AMC i saw a large girl-fight - harrisonville letter jackets vs. fort osage letter jackets.  crazy.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

chrizow wrote: give me a break.  KCTV-5 would have been there in a heartbeat if it was anything serious at all.  sounds like some unruly adolescents.  i've witnessed a fight or near-riot at every suburban AMC i've ever been to on a weekend night - but they weren't black kids, so i guess it's okay.  one time at the independence AMC i saw a large girl-fight - harrisonville letter jackets vs. fort osage letter jackets.  crazy.
Indep AMC 20 is ridiculously overrun with hormonal adolescents.  I too have witnessed many a fight there, mainly stupid punks with rainbow hair and ugly plaid.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chrizow wrote: give me a break.  KCTV-5 would have been there in a heartbeat if it was anything serious at all.  sounds like some unruly adolescents.  i've witnessed a fight or near-riot at every suburban AMC i've ever been to on a weekend night - but they weren't black kids, so i guess it's okay.  one time at the independence AMC i saw a large girl-fight - harrisonville letter jackets vs. fort osage letter jackets.  crazy.
You must go to a lot of movies and at bad times!  I don't rememember ever seeing a fight a local megaplex and we went to them all quite a bit.

I'm sure what happened on the Plaza is about the same thing I saw happen once in Crown Center at about 10 pm.  A bunch of very young ghetto kids (and trust me, a 12 year old kid yelling Fbombs to tourists and climbing on the bus stops is a ghetto kid with ghetto parents).  Get a dozen of them together and all hell can break lose.  Hardly a "riot" though.  They just get off by intimidating "normal" people in the area.  But they are the same kids that will probably be dead or in jail before they turn 25.  Again, Ghetto parents...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

GRID wrote: You must go to a lot of movies and at bad times!  I don't rememember ever seeing a fight a local megaplex and we went to them all quite a bit.
ha, maybe.  not saying it happened every time i went to the movies, but i've seen fights and fairly large disturbances at at least four suburban movie theatres - independence, leawood amc, ward parkway, and the megaplex in columbia.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chrizow wrote: ha, maybe.  not saying it happened every time i went to the movies, but i've seen fights and fairly large disturbances at at least four suburban movie theatres - independence, leawood amc, ward parkway, and the megaplex in columbia.
Yea, I know what you meant.  Some of the bigger theaters have a westport police presence on fri and sat nights.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Theaters and malls still have to be the number one place parents are willing to dump their pre-teen and early-teen kids off unsupervised.  Older kids who drive usually have better shit to get up to in secret someplace more out of the public eye. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: You must go to a lot of movies and at bad times!  I don't rememember ever seeing a fight a local megaplex and we went to them all quite a bit.

I'm sure what happened on the Plaza is about the same thing I saw happen once in Crown Center at about 10 pm.  A bunch of very young ghetto kids (and trust me, a 12 year old kid yelling Fbombs to tourists and climbing on the bus stops is a ghetto kid with ghetto parents).  Get a dozen of them together and all hell can break lose.  Hardly a "riot" though.  They just get off by intimidating "normal" people in the area.  But they are the same kids that will probably be dead or in jail before they turn 25.  Again, Ghetto parents...
The Plaza has struggled with being a nighttime gathering place for kids, black and white, at various points in time for the last 40 years or so.  I believe the late 70's and early 80's things got a bit unruly to the point the Plaza's demise was all but assured by the local media; there were large crowds of black teenagers attempting to intimidate passerbys but they were eventually harrassed by security and police to the point of dispersing for good (I recall loitering laws being used to break up the crowds).  It's been an issue that resurfaces from time to time ever since.   
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by splash »

It's true.  My husband works on the plaza and texted me around 11:30 and told me to check out channel 4, because they were down on the plaza because of a riot.  He said they (the group, not the fox4 people) seemed to be more interested in fighting among themselves than starting stuff with random people.  I asked him if he knew what the deal was and he said that, from what he could gather, they were angry because of recent news story about the lack of diversity in the area, but I don't know where he got that information

I've searched the pages of every news station and the Star, trying to find any information about the riot and what happened, but I haven't found a single thing about it.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

splash wrote: It's true.  My husband works on the plaza and texted me around 11:30 and told me to check out channel 4, because they were down on the plaza because of a riot.  He said they (the group, not the fox4 people) seemed to be more interested in fighting among themselves than starting stuff with random people.  I asked him if he knew what the deal was and he said that, from what he could gather, they were angry because of recent news story about the lack of diversity in the area, but I don't know where he got that information

I've searched the pages of every news station and the Star, trying to find any information about the riot and what happened, but I haven't found a single thing about it.
Lack of diversity? That simply is not true. The plaza is very diverse. You got white people of course. And then you have gay blacks and gay Mexicans (who try to act white) OOOPS. Did I saaaay thaaaat?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Meanwhile, mayhem in Times Square...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100407/ap_ ... tan_mayhem

shit happens in most popular parts of town.  so it goes... next topic.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Jeez.  My friends and I used to hang out on the Plaza in the 1960's, cruising the stores, and drinking cokes at Watkins Drug Store.  I never realized we were trend setters.  Of course, this was during the day.  Stores were only open late on Thursday evenings.