Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by normalthings »

MAC has announced via the Business Journal that ARC is 25% preleased.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

US Bank will come down. 300+ units planned.

https://cityscenekc.com/mac-going-big-a ... -in-works/
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:17 pm UMB will come down. 300+ units planned.

https://cityscenekc.com/mac-going-big-a ... -in-works/
I think you ment US Bank.

I like this building, Great example of it's time. Not insignificant in size. Could make an interesting reno if you got creative. Colison showing any renderings on his site?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Seems 2021 will be the year of Midtown. Thought previously maybe it would exceed downtown in number of projects, not $ in projects but if more of these come along perhaps Midtown will pass downtown in $ as well... for 2021 announcements anyway, we'll see. Could easily maintain momentum for years.

Hopefully MAC can also convince Burger King lot to sell (offer enough $).
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

No renderings. No real plan yet. I am guessing this will move along slowly and deliberately and could be some time before it is completed.

It is good to hear they are planning on going big. I hope they go big on the retail tenant - a full service supermarket would be great there.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

MAC has had some slow projects like Armour/Troost but ultimately came through. Is acceptable if it takes a while but hopefully we get a solid proposal that is funded next year. Also wonder about timing of construction for major projects like this along streetcar expansion. Would developers prefer to start/complete before/after streetcar construction to reduce logistical issues or would that not be a major scheduling concern?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

The BK and Public Storage northern corners are pretty low activation. I wonder if the owners will now be more willing to sell.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:57 pm The BK and Public Storage northern corners are pretty low activation. I wonder if the owners will now be more willing to sell.
That storage facility would be a very interesting redevelopment. They tore down several houses on Baltimore to build it and the neighborhood made they build fake fronts to make them still look like residential buildings. I know the levels are flat, not like a parking garage, so could be rebuilt easily into residential.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Hopefully this won't take as long as Armour and Troost. I think that took over 5 years from the first announcements until construction started (and we are still probably a year and half away from the last phase breaking ground). Although a good chunk of that time was just acquiring the properties, plus dealing with neighborhoods and getting tax incentives lined up. Hopefully they won't have to deal with all of that on this project.

I would guess we might see completion just ahead of the streetcar.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:08 pm Hopefully this won't take as long as Armour and Troost. I think that took over 5 years from the first announcements until construction started (and we are still probably a year and half away from the last phase breaking ground). Although a good chunk of that time was just acquiring the properties, plus dealing with neighborhoods and getting tax incentives lined up. Hopefully they won't have to deal with all of that on this project.

I would guess we might see completion just ahead of the streetcar.
Armour corners took about 4-5 years from initial planning to the start of construction. However, Armour & Troost was accelerated recently which I think is a good sign. Streetcar being funded was almost a surprise to MAC it seems and so I think their attitudes and timelines have shifted quite a bit.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Will be interesting to see if Midtowners poopoo a 25+ floor proposal. I say go for it. Should also have great views of both downtown and Plaza. But hopefully not a mega garage unless hidden in back, not how they did Mac's CWE One Hundred garage in STL.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I doubt the proposal ends up being anything close to 25 floors. I know Collison included a picture of their One Hundred building and the 300+ units would put it in that ballpark. However, I think the footprint for this development would be a good deal larger.

Armour and Troost is 340 units. I think we could see something similar in scale here - maybe 8 to 12 story buildings. I think that would fit in with the neighborhood better and would be less likely to get pushback on the height. I think once you get over about about 5 or 6 stories, you will start having great views of Downtown and Plaza.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:39 pm I doubt the proposal ends up being anything close to 25 floors. I know Collison included a picture of their One Hundred building and the 300+ units would put it in that ballpark. However, I think the footprint for this development would be a good deal larger.

Armour and Troost is 340 units. I think we could see something similar in scale here - maybe 8 to 12 story buildings. I think that would fit in with the neighborhood better and would be less likely to get pushback on the height. I think once you get over about about 5 or 6 stories, you will start having great views of Downtown and Plaza.
Agreed 8-12 would fit better in the area. Westport Central on Broadway and Armour looks to be around 10, the Ellison across the street is 8 floors. Armour Corners are like 8 floors max. The taller you go, the more expensive it becomes to build as it begins to require more steel and concrete based construction (in simple terms, I am no engineer). Personally, I would love to see a contemporary building, architecturally similar to the 3435 Main or Reverb (but with cheaper rents).
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:57 pm The BK and Public Storage northern corners are pretty low activation. I wonder if the owners will now be more willing to sell.
Would be interesting for them to sell for redevelopment. However I think both also have a reason to stay in the area as services residents would use, especially BK being walkable & it would seem that apartment people might use the storage facility for extra storage room.

Might be interesting to see buildings that are more of mixed use. Retail at street level and residential on top. Maybe fit the BK and storage unit into the development. Lots of things could happen to the area & really spur development & infill projects from Broadway East to Troost from Basically Crown Center to the Plaza. So much potential to work with what is already there and what could be
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I think FangKC had the idea for MAC to buy/lease the lot next to Taco Bell on Linwood for BK owner, something along those lines. Or if the BK owner is OK w/out a drivethru, they get a long term free/cheap lease within the MAC development at that corner. One thing for sure at this point... the giant BK corner empty lot is overkill for BK and a primo spot at a major corner along streetcar line. Don't blame the owner for holding out for highest bid but if Mac won't bite big, someone else might be willing to pay a premium now that streetcar is a given. My bet, a transaction occurs within a year, maybe two at most.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:41 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:39 pm I doubt the proposal ends up being anything close to 25 floors. I know Collison included a picture of their One Hundred building and the 300+ units would put it in that ballpark. However, I think the footprint for this development would be a good deal larger.

Agreed 8-12 would fit better in the area.
OTOH, think big vision for 30 years out as what happened to Midtown Atlanta. Imagine many 35+ story buildings throughout Midtown in 20-30 years. Gotta start somewhere and a 25+ floor building might stand out at first but gotta start somewhere. For those who don't like such density, they have 99% of metro to choose from to live. There are many Midtowners perfectly content with the suburbanization of Midtown over last few decades so would expect an uproar, but they need to be challenged.

MAC very well may propose a fairly tall building with a shorter one as backup plan.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:11 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:41 pm

Agreed 8-12 would fit better in the area.
OTOH, think big vision for 30 years out as what happened to Midtown Atlanta. Imagine many 35+ story buildings throughout Midtown in 20-30 years. Gotta start somewhere and a 25+ floor building might stand out at first but gotta start somewhere. For those who don't like such density, they have 99% of metro to choose from to live. There are many Midtowners perfectly content with the suburbanization of Midtown over last few decades so would expect an uproar, but they need to be challenged.

MAC very well may propose a fairly tall building with a shorter one as backup plan.
DWTN - MIdtown Atlanta is about the same distance as DWTN-Crown Center in KC. Not really equivalent.

MAC's is a numbers developer. They aren't going to build a vision tower if it doesn't pencil out.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Understood but still a valid vision with hirises from downtown to Plaza, not unrealistic as downtown ATL to Midtown/Atlantic Station area somewhat up to Buckhead (scattered). edit: Atlantic Station is about where Armour is from downtown. And given MAC already does 35+ floor buildings elsewhere, a 25+ proposal wouldn't be that surprising if the numbers can work.
Last edited by earthling on Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:34 pm Understood but still a valid vision with hirises from downtown to Plaza, not unrealistic. And if they already do 35+ floor buildings elsewhere, a 25+ proposal wouldn't be that surprising if the numbers can work.
I see downtown to crown center filling in with towers. Plaza to Crown Center filling in with 5-15 floor buildings.

If the numbers penciled out they would. The numbers just don't pencil out here.

Central West End (One Hundred) is a very different market. It is a well-established neighborhood next to one of the best hospitals in the US (loads of extremely high paying jobs). At shift change, the sidewalks are filled with doctors and nurses walking out of the hospital and up to the apartments in the CWE (many owned by MAC). The jump to a 35 floor building wasn't that great considering there are already multiple high rises in CWE.
We don't really have a place like that here other than maybe Plaza or Downtown and MAC isn't going to build in those 2 places.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Free fare streetcar is a factor though, equidistant to downtown/Plaza in addition to their buildup of Armour. We'll see what they propose. I wouldn't be surprised if they test a 25 floor proposal.
Last edited by earthling on Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.