Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:15 pm What's the best way to address the elderly living in large homes they can no longer afford to keep up physically or financially?
New options within the same community.

There's information that living alone results in a more rapid decline and earlier death, so being around other people is the critical piece. It also should enable attending the same church, library, community center and seeing all the same neighbors.

And they need to be mixed within the neighborhood.

Take a partial empty block like Linwood and Brooklyn

Imagine the street side is treated like row home apartments where someone gets their own entrance with a bedroom and bathroom, their own front garden and all that. But every unit is part of a single interconnected building.

Each unit has a back door into common spaces like a shared dining room. There's laundry facilities, a kitchen, libraries and the like.

The idea is there's a staff on site to help with things and add on services as someone ages. Some residents get medical help, some get transportation and some it's just a place to live with their peers. Some structures could get away with being smaller, like you could cook centrally and have a 4-6 unit building food is delivered to.

Can tailor the exact details to the neighborhood and available space. Like along Linwood could use landscaping and glass walkways to connect a three story apartment building to the rest of the structure.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:55 pm Here's an excerpt from a response I got from Robinson:

"Until economic dev resulting in people aging in place happens at the same clip ALL these projects (in my view) are/should be under scrutiny.

Thanks for your voice, while I value I disagree with some aspects; and so do many of my constituents."
That's a lot to unpack, and I think a lot of people agree with where she is coming from. I do, to some extent. There is already a lot of affordable/subsidized housing within a 1/2 mile of Armour and Troost, including the Bainbridge, the Linda Vista, Squier Park Townhomes, the ReStart apartments, and Faxon Senior Apartments. I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of. And as I mentioned, MAC accepts vouchers at a 20% rate (in line with current HUD guidelines), whereas a lot of midtown apartments do not. But she's got to represent the entire third district, so I can understand that she does have a lot of constituents who are not seeing much development where they are. Or, they're seeing their assessments go up and are worried about the coming years. That's also understandable (although I'll also point out that Robinson's former employer is most largely responsible for the rise in the tax bills themselves). But it's worth pointing out that whatever current gentrification situation one thinks Kansas City is in is a result of the glacial pace of development not keeping up with demand for housing units. It's not caused by development; it's caused by a lack of development. It's also not caused by developers; they're usually just following an evolving market. All of the gigantic assessment increases in Squier Park, which are probably going to spread south through Manheim Park next, came without the help of large developers and in spite of the fact that nearly all of the new housing units to come online in the last 7-8 years were affordable/subsidized.

The thing that KC is missing is some guidance on we want developers like MAC to do, if it's not to build projects like this one. A policy, if you will.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

A couple additional renderings:

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

When the 8 or so story building on the southeast corner came down under Cleaver's watch, I never imagined I would see a multistory building rise in its place.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Well... nothing's there just yet.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

What’s going on with the proposed one across from the newbern?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It has been under construction for a little while now. Nothing vertical that I have noticed yet - still site prep/foundation work.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

MAC Plan to Revive Troost and Armour with 340-Unit Apartment Project Wins Support

MAC Properties big plan to revitalize the intersection of Troost and Armour with a 340-unit apartment development picked up strong backing from the City Plan Commission this week and is now headed to the City Council for final consideration.

The Plan Commission unanimously endorsed the final design of the Armour Corners project which calls for new apartment buildings on each corner, replacing what is now vacant lots and dilapidated buildings.
MAC would like to break ground this June on the first two buildings on the east side corners of Troost. The east side of Troost is within a federal opportunity zone, and Cassel said federal tax credits available to help fund the plan will expire June 30.

The buildings on the northeast and southeast corners would be five-stories tall and completion is expected by fall 2021. Construction of the eight-story buildings on the northwest and southwest corners are expected to begin in the summer of 2022.

Cassel said monthly rents for a studio are expected to be about $875. One bedrooms will go for $1,000 and two bedrooms, $1,200. He said the average rent for all units wold be about $925 per month.

As part of the development plan, teachers and other public employees also will receive a 10 percent discount on their rent.
https://cityscenekc.com/mac-plan-to-rev ... s-support/
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

The city council better not play games with this. This is great infill and that intersection is depressing at the moment
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JBmidtown wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:12 pm The city council better not play games with this. This is great infill and that intersection is depressing at the moment
Below market rate housing on Troost? I can't imagine they would balk enough to stop the deal. There seems to be a lot of negotiation on behalf of the taxing jurisdictions, but ultimately everything that reaches their desks gets approved.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Games are definitely being played. Council played games with this project last term, so why stop now? :lol:
To follow on Dave's point, I do know that MAC is actively negotiating with council in addition to the taxing jurisdictions. I'm cautiously optimistic that it goes through this time.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I thought the incentive portion was already locked in and this only pertained to design. I could be wrong though
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Tantalizingly close to becoming a reality.

Meanwhile, the owner of the building at Armour and Forest appears to be disassembling the stone facade and replacing it with glass blocks. I'm sure he has a permit for that. :roll:
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I believe he has done non-compliant code renovations before -- at a building he owns on Troost if I recall.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I recently had my second encounter with someone selling architectural details removed from that building. You don't quote get the scale here, but this was a very large piece:

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Sad that's happening. Those details should remain in the building in case it's ever able to be properly renovated.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Can’t they fine them?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Fines don’t seem to be a deterrent. The sad thing is that the building will probably be torn down or left to rot after he has stripped it of anything of value. He was offered an astronomical amount of money for the building in a deal that would have included it in the MAC project. Now it’s a 100+ room building with exactly zero available parking spaces.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

chaglang wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:43 pm Fines don’t seem to be a deterrent. The sad thing is that the building will probably be torn down or left to rot after he has stripped it of anything of value. He was offered an astronomical amount of money for the building in a deal that would have included it in the MAC project. Now it’s a 100+ room building with exactly zero available parking spaces.
Wow, that is so sad, its a weathered but interesting and worthy old building. I would suspect the inside is in bad shape, so it's really sad that it was not included in the AC project. :(