My New House, Restoration and such

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

My New House, Restoration and such

Post by PumpkinStalker »

While this thread may go in a direction better suited for a blog, no one reads mine, and I thought it would be interesting enough that others might find helpful.

Since I bought my house in mid July, I have been taking pictures of every aspect of work being performed on it.  Everyday is another adventure, whether it be a live bat in the basement, electrical outlets from Frankenstein's laboratory, mold underneath wallpaper below a window sill, live, bare copper wires gently tucked into attic insulation, or a garage that teetered when you gave a wall a push, it's been an exciting time and a jump start on my handy man skills.  The joys of an older home.  Mine was built in 1935, so while it's not very old by most standards, it's still has some surprises.

While in the inspection phase prior to purchase, we had a wildlife guy come out and inspect for more bats after I found the live one flopping around in the basement.  He claimed to see evidence but we have reason to believe he's a little crooked.  The chimney experts didn't see a thing when they sent a camera up and down and looked down from the top.

American Chimney did an inspection and for $789, did various work including a new crown, new chimney cap, tuck pointing, fixing a problem in the firebox, etc.
Here is the condition of the chimney upon purchase of the house.

Looking straight down

Anthony Plumbing, Heating and Cooling put in a new sump pump in the corner of the basement, as well as jackhammered an old trap up and replaced it with pvc and added a new utility sink, washer hookups, etc.

Old sump pump

[glow=red,2,300]Before[/glow]
[glow=red,2,300]
After[/glow]

Yes, we Drylok'd the walls.  It's a pretty damp basement.  Stone basements are supposed to breathe, but this one was pretty wet.  We put hydro patch into the deep crevices where water came through, then applied Drylok to the walls.  After 4 days, yellow mineral stains showed up on the Drylok, as well as some mold.  We purchased a second dehumidifier (the previous owner left me her old one) and run them both 24 hours a day.  They dried things up and then we coated the Drylok with Kilz and so far no stains have come through.  Basement is dry as a bone now.  Check out before and after pics on this one!

Mold showed up after painting (not efflouressence)

Small leak

Before

After (Workbench came with the house, I fixed it up and leveled it, just need to make drawers)

Before

After (I removed the pipes from the old gravity furnace and patched them with concrete)

Other basement pictures:

Prepping the wall

Next Time on Pumpkin's Old House we'll watch as the one car detached garage gets torn down.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My New House, Restoration and such

Post by bahua »

Very nice, PS!
PumpkinStalker wrote: While this thread may go in a direction better suited for a blog, no one reads mine
It would help if you actually linked it!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Nice Before & After shots, PumpkinStalker!

How much work does/did your new house need overall? 

PumpkinStalker wrote: While this thread may go in a direction better suited for a blog, no one reads mine...
You have a blog?
KC is the way to be!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

bahua wrote: Very nice, PS!

It would help if you actually linked it!
Then people would expect me to update it as well!  I can't win!
AllThingsKC wrote: Nice Before & After shots, PumpkinStalker!

How much work does/did your new house need overall? 

You have a blog?
Yeah, somewhere, I misplaced it though ;-)

Not much really, I'm just a fanatic and I have always wanted to restore something, so I'm taking a move-in ready house, tearing the hell out of it and re-doing things the way they should be.  Such as stripping paint off of woodwork, removing 7 layers of paint from plaster ornamentation (pictures coming) etc.  Other than the basement being pretty wet after a gully washer rain storm, the house is in great condition and has good bones.  All the plaster is good and hard, only two areas where a little moisture seeped in and turned it to dust, but a guy came in and fixed that all up for me (and did it the right way).  I also had the ceilings sprayed white, because the gold glitter mixed in that was apparently popular in the 70s (HIDEOUS) just didn't fit my style.

And who the hell has me on ignore? 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Interesting stuff. My basement is similar to yours, I'll have to look into this drylock stuff. I think our basement was drylocked before but probably before I was born because its all crumbly and disgusting now.

And post your blog link! I didn't even know you had one!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

Yeah, that drylock stuff looks interesting.  My basement looks similar, so it might be worth looking into.  We get a lot of moisture in our basement.  How much did that cost, if you don't mind my asking?
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

So when's the home-warming party?  Any more general pics of the place?  What neighborhood?
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

I'm curiouis as to what neighborhood as well.
Great pics too - been there - done that - TWICE!!!!!
Gotta look in to that Drylok stuff too!

Sportster
...de-humidifiers - just the ticket too
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

any chance you might want to build a nice little room sized humidor in that basement of yours?? I have a couple of cigars that are litterally jumping out of their wrappers at that thought.  :P
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCMax wrote: I think our basement was drylocked before but probably before I was born because its all crumbly and disgusting now.
Most likely.  As you can see from the pictures, my basement used to have a coating of something on it that had deteriorated.  The Drylock we slathered on had a fine grit to it, the stuff we chipped away was more like a thick coating of paint with no grit.  It must have been some sort of waterproof coating, but maybe not the Drylok brand unless they changed their formula.  To those of you that asked, here is my recommendations:

First step, chip, scrape, chisel out old crumbly mortar, paint, etc.

Fill all crevices with Drylok Fast Acting Plug.  This stuff is hard as a rock in 10 minutes, so it's best to use ICE cold water to mix because it slows set time.  Mix and use immediately and don't get it on anything you don't want it to permanently adhere to.

Mix up a batch of Drylok etch (comes in little bottles) into a garden sprayer.  GET A RESPIRATOR!  OPEN WINDOWS!  Spray all the walls, this will get rid of the salts and minerals that deposit themselves on the stone as they leech through.  Best to scrub it a little too.

Let dry, then apply Drylok Extreme Masonry sealer.  Buy special brushes for masonry (Drylok makes those too) - they really help getting into the pores of the stone/mortar.  Apply two coats.  The first coat you use a combination of brushing and stabbing at the concreted to poke it into the pores.  The second coat you can spray but read how to properly spray (since it has grit in it).  It's best to brush both coats and work it in more.

In a couple days you may see large yellow stains coming through the paint.  We called the company and they said this was mineral staining still leeching through and the best solution was to coat the Drylok with Kilz.  We also had some mold grow on it, but after buying another dehumidifier and spraying a mold inhibitor over the kilz, no problems.

I believe 5 gallon jugs of Drylok are $100, not sure how much the Extreme is because we couldn't find it in town anywhere after we started the project.  I'll bet my basement took about 10 gallons, but we bought mostly one gallon cans.

Get Drylok EXTREME, not the regular (mine's regular because we didn't know about extreme before we were almost done and I saw it on the company website)

Not sure if it's worked yet, so I wouldn't run out until we have a good hard rain and I'll let everyone know. 

Some schools of thought on the web say to not coat the walls with a sealer because that just traps moisture in the foundation and causes it to further deteriorate, moreso than just letting it seep through.  Not really sure about all that, I did quite a bit of research and decided that it was wet enough, that we needed to do something or water would always pour in on heavy rains (I had 5 inches down there when we had that super heavy rain a couple weeks ago - a new sump pump should help that out)
Gretz wrote: So when's the home-warming party?  Any more general pics of the place?  What neighborhood?
Everyday is going to be a housewarming.  Holy shit, I have a house!  It's still sinking in.  I might register at Home Depot if anyone wants to bring a gift  :lol:

Neighborhood is Waldo west of Wornall  :D
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I was just looking around this website for the first time and stumbled across your posting.  It compelled me to join!  We are in the very same neighborhood (since July 2007), and have some similar issues.  You sound like you are as anal as I am in how you are going about repairs so thanks so much for sharing this info.  We might have to try some of the things you have done in your basement. 

Do you hire yourself out???  :lol:  J/K
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

jdubwaldo wrote:
Do you hire yourself out???  :lol:  J/K
PumpkinStalker can do some super sleuthing for you.

Now that he's chained to a money eating home, he may offer services previously unexplored.  &
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Everyday is going to be a housewarming.  Holy shit, I have a house!  It's still sinking in.  I might register at Home Depot if anyone wants to bring a gift  :lol:
Don't you want to shop in the neighborhood and go to Sutherland's just south of Gregory?  Guess you are not suburban free afterall.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

Sure, if you want to call bannister mall or linwood & main suburban...
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Just implying that he has a store just down the street from where he lives.  Why travel farther than you have to.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Just implying that he has a store just down the street from where he lives.  Why travel farther than you have to.
I go to Sutherlands when it's a small item because of the proximity.  The problem with that Sutherlands is that they don't employ enough cashiers. It never fails that there is a line of 20 folks because they only have one person running a register.  HD used to have that problem, but the self checkout has helped.

If you do go to Sutherlands and have questions, search out Jim. That old-timer knows his stuff.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Thanks for your concern AKP, it's nice to know you're looking out for me.  I have been to Sutherlands almost 4 times a week for new outlets, door stoppers, paint, scrapers, bags of concrete etc.  Apparently you have never tried to find a power tool there, or a lawnmower, or just about anything that isn't "last minute". 

Get a hobby dude.  Do you need a grass mowing job?  I haven't bought a mower yet.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Please don't be a dick.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Leave it to this bunch that the most exciting part of PS's new house is the freakin BASEMENT!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen:
Course - that's how it is with old house nerds - we all go lookin in closets and basements on neighborhood homes tours!!! ( I said "we")

Congrats PS! We're happy to lend our "hand" in your restoration!

Sportster
...damn fine basement too - mine should look that nice!!!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Thanks Sportser.  There will be a tour/cookout for those raggers that I know or have good references.  Yup, closets are especially nice because you can often get hints about what the woodwork was like, if they didn't paint it in the closet (and they often don't).  Basements tell me immediately about the "bones" of the house and what kind of work will need to be done.  Tonight will be pics of the garage Teardown.  One full day of sawzalls, sledgehammers, and crowbars.  Three of my favorite tools!