Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3715
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Westport

Post by WSPanic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:20 pm

I was more comparing the Sarpinos in Westport with what I had out south at Sarpinos (OP or Leawood). The quality was better out South. I just assume it's harder to staff a place in the middle of the city that's open 'til 4a or whatever. They definitely fill a need - just not for me.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5951
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Westport

Post by scooterj » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:31 pm

WSPanic wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:20 pm
I was more comparing the Sarpinos in Westport with what I had out south at Sarpinos (OP or Leawood). The quality was better out South. I just assume it's harder to staff a place in the middle of the city that's open 'til 4a or whatever. They definitely fill a need - just not for me.
It's definitely an issue specific to that location, as the Sarpino's on Vivion is good (for a chain). I have a bad experience with the Westport location probably 3/4 of the time, enough that I stopped ordering from them altogether.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5951
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Westport

Post by scooterj » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:31 pm

scooterj wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:31 pm
WSPanic wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:20 pm
I was more comparing the Sarpinos in Westport with what I had out south at Sarpinos (OP or Leawood). The quality was better out South. I just assume it's harder to staff a place in the middle of the city that's open 'til 4a or whatever. They definitely fill a need - just not for me.
It's definitely an issue specific to that location, as the Sarpino's on Vivion is also good (for a chain). I have a bad experience with the Westport location probably 3/4 of the time, enough that I stopped ordering from them altogether.

chingon
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3442
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: South Plaza

Re: Westport

Post by chingon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:01 am

WSPanic wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:47 pm
Caddyshack offers their pizza with provel "cheese". It's better than Waldo, IMO.

Caddyshack is:


1. not St Louis style

2. disgusting

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3715
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Westport

Post by WSPanic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:04 am

chingon wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:01 am
WSPanic wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:47 pm
Caddyshack offers their pizza with provel "cheese". It's better than Waldo, IMO.

Caddyshack is:


1. not St Louis style

2. disgusting
I won't debate the first point, because "thin crust w/provel" is as much credit as I'm willing to give STL for anything. And I won't debate the second point because I know you're wrong.

nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: Westport

Post by nickyrosstheboss » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:08 am

Caddy Shack is my favorite pizza in kc! Everyone from out of state loves it when they visit too!

Also great staff.

Waldo pizza is also great :)

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Westport

Post by johnmatrix » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:52 am

I love Caddy Shack.i'll be excited to try the new pizza place coming to Westport. Joes & Papa Kenos are pretty damn good in their own right.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5445
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Westport

Post by earthling » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:20 pm

My 2 cents on *counter* pizza (excluding 'artisan' places)... Pizza 51 can't be beat in quality of ingredients, flavor and crust - can taste each ingredient separately. Bottom of barrel of those discussed has to be Sarpinos, there are cheap frozen pizzas with less chemical flavor. Papa Keno's after Pizza 51, fairly similar. BTW, Milwaukee Deli downtown is owned by Pizza 51 and has same pizza. Most overrated local award goes to Minsky's - I suspect they get their ingredients from Sysco. Like Imo's with pepperoncinis for a cracker snack but not Provel. Of chain pizzas... Costco. Even Aldi $5 unfrozen whole is more edible than most chains.

User avatar
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17064
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:43 am

Re: Westport

Post by chrizow » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:32 pm

For counter places I would say Johnny Jo's is tops in my book.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5445
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Westport

Post by earthling » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:35 pm

Yeah agree it's one of tops, forgot about them (because not on a bus line, when I tend to hit counter eats).

User avatar
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3614
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Westport

Post by chaglang » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:32 pm

Huge Caddyshack fan.

kboish
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2581
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Westport

Post by kboish » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:16 pm

Johnny Jo's is tops for pizza.

While I love Caddyshack overall, pizza sauce is a bit sweet.

User avatar
TrolliKC
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:27 am

Re: Westport

Post by TrolliKC » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:41 pm

Caddyshack!!! Damn I haven’t been there in a while

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Westport

Post by johnmatrix » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:37 am

Off topic from delicious pizza but about Westport. It appears Westport Flea Market or another business around there has applied for TIF. Anyone know what thats all about?

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17666
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Westport

Post by DaveKCMO » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:34 am

It's the 816 Hotel.

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Westport

Post by johnmatrix » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:53 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:34 am
It's the 816 Hotel.
LMAO. They just need to flatten that shithole that place is very disgusting even with their "remodeling"

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2155
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Westport

Post by kcjak » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:46 am

Article on and image of the new Mike's, just west of the current location.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 87887.html

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29603
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Westport

Post by KCPowercat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:56 pm

Westport Rd is really becoming quite a Metcalf ave of midtown.

User avatar
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3614
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Westport

Post by chaglang » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:41 pm

Coming soon: an empty Macaroni Grille

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4802
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Westport

Post by beautyfromashes » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:06 pm

I hate to say it, but it’d almost be better if Westport wasn’t connected to SW Trafficway at all. The buildings and businesses get more suburban-y the more you go in that direction. It makes it feel like more of a pass through than where to be. Not really sure how to fix it. I know the business owners love that it’s cut off from a pedistrian standpoint because they can monopolize traffic, but street connection to east Westport sure would thin out crowds and bring a lighter feel. Feels like a waste.

Post Reply