Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Westport

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:19 am This cowboy bar makes no sense to go into Westport.
Induced demand works for businesses too
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:19 am This cowboy bar makes no sense to go into Westport.
Was just talking to someone about this. I don't see any country fans going to Westport, but knowing what I know about Allred, this will just be another piss poor, cheap bar that targets the very young/underage crowd doing typical $5 cover, $2 tall boys bullshit. He has been all about this idea for years now and lacks any kind of real creativity. All his bars look and feel the same. If you're 26 in one of his bars, you feel 50.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Allred has literally told people he wants Westport to be a "mini-PNL" with 10,000 people every Saturday.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:22 pm Allred has literally told people he wants Westport to be a "mini-PNL" with 10,000 people every Saturday.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:22 pm Allred has literally told people he wants Westport to be a "mini-PNL" with 10,000 people every Saturday.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The only shots he’s firing are 90% sugar and some bottom barrel left over booze that young adults pay $2 bucks for. The ole “Boobie bottle”.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

This has basically been the goal of the WRBL since P&L was built.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

chaglang wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 am
This has basically been the goal of the WRBL since P&L was built.
Which I think is a losing strategy. The one thing Westport had was that older, historical charm.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I feel like Westport would really succeed if they densified and aligned more as a sort of pub style neighborhood. Like McCoy’s or Harry’s, go for an older age group. Get some more retail, restaurants, treat it like a city center.

I loved Westport when it was a bit edgier but honestly it’s long gone. The Beaumont club has been gone for what 12 years now. PNL is the party atmosphere, and crossroads has the alternative demographic now.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:46 am I feel like Westport would really succeed if they densified and aligned more as a sort of pub style neighborhood. Like McCoy’s or Harry’s, go for an older age group. Get some more retail, restaurants, treat it like a city center.

I loved Westport when it was a bit edgier but honestly it’s long gone. The Beaumont club has been gone for what 12 years now. PNL is the party atmosphere, and crossroads has the alternative demographic now.
100% agree with you.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Riverite wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:46 am I feel like Westport would really succeed if they densified and aligned more as a sort of pub style neighborhood. Like McCoy’s or Harry’s, go for an older age group. Get some more retail, restaurants, treat it like a city center.
I feel like that is what Strawberry Hill is going to turn into, there are so many cool pubs, and an emerging restaurant scene
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:51 am

100% agree with you.
Absolutely. But the demographic that the WRBL and biz owners seem to want is the 20-something, vodka-and-Red Bull crowd. All of their demands of the city (closing streets, closing sidewalks, etc, etc) since the opening of P&L have been so they can compete with P&L for that demographic. It's resulted in a dumbing down of the area to volume-based businesses. Hopefully the increasing density will change that, but jeez, it seems pretty obvious that an older demographic likely has deeper entertainment pockets.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

chaglang wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:33 am

100% agree with you.
Absolutely. But the demographic that the WRBL and biz owners seem to want is the 20-something, vodka-and-Red Bull crowd. All of their demands of the city (closing streets, closing sidewalks, etc, etc) since the opening of P&L have been so they can compete with P&L for that demographic. It's resulted in a dumbing down of the area to volume-based businesses. Hopefully the increasing density will change that, but jeez, it seems pretty obvious that an older demographic likely has deeper entertainment pockets.
PNL doesn’t really get the very young/barely legal crowd thankfully. 25-35 is the bread and butter for PNL and for events/concerts, they see an even older crowd. The demo has kind of grown along with the district.

Westport has turned into a wannabe college bar district.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:46 am
chaglang wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:33 am

100% agree with you.
PNL doesn’t really get the very young/barely legal crowd thankfully. 25-35 is the bread and butter for PNL and for events/concerts, they see an even older crowd. The demo has kind of grown along with the district.

Westport has turned into a wannabe college bar district.
I wish it were a college bar district, one like that would be fine next to UMKC. It’s just people acting like they are still in college while well out of the age range.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I just miss the working class watering holes, when the really douchy demographic stayed in Kelly’s
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Riverite wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:55 amI wish it were a college bar district, one like that would be fine next to UMKC. It’s just people acting like they are still in college while well out of the age range.
I agree. Even the party mecca of Mass St in Lawrence still has things like bookstores, video game shops, antiques, ect that keep the place from becoming overrun with bars and keep it active during the day. Westport doesn’t even clear that low bar
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:14 pm
Riverite wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:55 amI wish it were a college bar district, one like that would be fine next to UMKC. It’s just people acting like they are still in college while well out of the age range.
I agree. Even the party mecca of Mass St in Lawrence still has things like bookstores, video game shops, antiques, ect that keep the place from becoming overrun with bars and keep it active during the day. Westport doesn’t even clear that low bar
You must only go when the non-bar stores are closed in Westport, because they exist
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Westport needs more residents, not bars.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

IMO the best tasting Coffee Shop in the Metro is moving from Westport to 42/Troost. Oddly Correct
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Will probably never see Port Fonda coming back,pretty wild article by the pitch, i always kind of hated this place, the food i would order was never good, the service was odd at times and the music was so annoying and loud
https://www.thepitchkc.com/partys-over- ... and-abuse/