Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
smh
Supporter

Re: Westport

Post by smh »

wahoowa wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:56 am isn't that the place that's in parlor? it seems to work fine there.
That's fair. I think Westport is a little more intense, drunkenness-wise. But good point.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I love their Detroit style pizza, but all of them are excellent. If you haven't had it, try it!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:04 pm I love their Detroit style pizza, but all of them are excellent. If you haven't had it, try it!
We used to drive to Grandview just to get the full size Sicilian. Such a great spot!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Anyone know what happened to the Towneplace Suites by Marriott proposal? It was supposed to go on the vacant land at 40th and Central and was approved in 2019.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Aluminum siding coming off Fitz’s Blarney Stone to show brick underneath gives me a glimmer of hope for this city this morning.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Wow. I hope it doesn't let any light in.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Nice! Someone posted a historic pic of that building a while back. It used to be quite attractive.

I just hope Chez Charlie doesn't get the boot.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

taxi wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:02 am Wow. I hope it doesn't let any light in.
From what I have been told, the Blarney Stone has become less stabby.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

kboish wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:46 am From what I have been told, the Blarney Stone has become less stabby.
Places we used to go to get cheap deals on drinks and an open pool table are now some weird type of cool. idk.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:53 am
kboish wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:46 am From what I have been told, the Blarney Stone has become less stabby.
Places we used to go to get cheap deals on drinks and an open pool table are now some weird type of cool. idk.
So weird, I remember always passing blarney on my way to chez Charlie’s and the youngest person in there was always still at least 50
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Riverite wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:57 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:53 am
So weird, I remember always passing blarney on my way to chez Charlie’s and the youngest person in there was always still at least 50
It got less stabby once the Chez folks bought it, right?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

seems so
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kboish wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:41 amseems so
But definitely within the last ten years a fella had his eye stabbed out there if memory serves...prior to the Chez purchase.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Michigan company purchases Alcazar Apartments. This is a Section 8 property that seems to always have a lot of calls to police. Not sure how change in ownership will affect the building or its residents.
https://rejournals.com/fourmidable-taki ... -michigan/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

First Friday’s was heavily skewed 21 under. Wouldn’t work well for a private bar district.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

FF was also a gallery crawl (originally). No art galleries in Westport but maybe if the FF festival for the masses can move elsewhere, it can return to it's former roots again in Crossroads
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Critical_Mass wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:28 am FF was also a gallery crawl (originally). No art galleries in Westport but maybe if the FF festival for the masses can move elsewhere, it can return to it's former roots again in Crossroads
Was there an official announcement that First Friday's are no longer taking place?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Westport Cafe mentiond in CNBC Article regarding perminant to-go cocktails:
Westport Cafe in Kansas City, Missouri, was one of the restaurants that turned to cocktails as a lifeline during the crisis. Before the pandemic, alcohol accounted for about 40% of its sales. Last summer, the French bistro invested in a frozen drink machine to make its own takes on craft cocktails. It also created special meal deals that included a mimosa package or a bottle of wine to help drive sales.

“It’s not the reason why we’re still here, but it helped a lot,” co-owner Nicolas Mermet said.

The cafe plans to resurrect the frozen drink machine in June as the weather heats up. Missouri’s legislature recently passed a bill to make to-go cocktails permanent, and the bill is just waiting on a signature from the governor.

“The businesses may be less reliant on it, but it will still be an important offering for them,” Hawkins said.

According to Marbet Lewis, founding partner of Spiritus Law, the pandemic helped change legislators’ minds about the idea of selling cocktails to go and restaurants’ ability to comply with alcohol laws.

“There is precedent and history that this concept isn’t the evil that everyone perceived it to be prior to the pandemic,” Lewis said. “Before the pandemic, I think there was a lot of concern about compliance.”

Lewis said that states are primarily adding more controls and parameters when they permanently allow to-go cocktails to keep restaurants from operating like liquor stores. Among states’ top concerns are preventing underage drinking and drunken driving.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/28/to-go-c ... covid.html

How has Tropical Liquors (Columbia & St Louis) always had to-go booze? Their containers aren't really "sealed?"
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:25 pm
Critical_Mass wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:28 am FF was also a gallery crawl (originally). No art galleries in Westport but maybe if the FF festival for the masses can move elsewhere, it can return to it's former roots again in Crossroads
Was there an official announcement that First Friday's are no longer taking place?
It depends on what your definition of FF is. If you define it as a "festival" or "August 2019" then that will never return because it put way too much pressure on an all-volunteer neighborhood association to handle the limited security/permitting apparatus. If you define it as "June 2021", that looked a lot like FF before it became a street carnival (most galleries open, a few street vendors, no food trucks, restaurants full of people) -- you know, a gallery crawl.

Worth noting that Jim Leedy left Westport for the Crossroads because he was priced out. I also can't imagine galleries returning to Westport in the same way. It feels like fledgling galleries have dispersed to other low cost spaces rather than consolidating in one new place.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:08 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:25 pm
It depends on what your definition of FF is. If you define it as a "festival" or "August 2019" then that will never return because it put way too much pressure on an all-volunteer neighborhood association to handle the limited security/permitting apparatus. If you define it as "June 2021", that looked a lot like FF before it became a street carnival (most galleries open, a few street vendors, no food trucks, restaurants full of people) -- you know, a gallery crawl.

Worth noting that Jim Leedy left Westport for the Crossroads because he was priced out. I also can't imagine galleries returning to Westport in the same way. It feels like fledgling galleries have dispersed to other low cost spaces rather than consolidating in one new place.
Thanks for the clarification.