Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
smh
Supporter

Re: Westport

Post by smh »

It's unfortunate. I always had great experiences. One of my favorite restaurants in KC.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

The article was scathing and sounds like a pretty damn toxic environment. On the other hand, not too out of the ordinary for the restaurant business. Drug use, hot headed managers and owners, and sexual innuendo/harassment are all hallmarks of the hospitality industry. Of course that doesn't excuse it. It's nothing I haven't experienced before in the industry before. I used to work at bars and restaurants in DC...they were all like that!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

A 30+yo I know groomed in indie James Beard to corporate restaurants/hotels planning to manage in hospitality industry lived in Vegas (before COVID) and said most he worked with/for were hostile, on hard drugs and lived like there's no tomorrow, a broader 'normalized' culture version of Port Fonda. Only stayed 6 months or so then back to 'sane KC'.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Last edited by DColeKC on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mykn

Post by mykn »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:46 am These days, I think we have to take the sexual harassment allegations with a grain of salt. I honestly think there are some people who are always looking to be offended. It’s almost a badge of honor to say your boss harassed you. I’m not saying it’s ok or that it doesn’t happen. It does and everyone should feel safe in their workplace.
Jesus Christ you are a truly reprehensible person
bones.25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bones.25 »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:46 am Definitely agree there’s a culture of hostility in back of house restaurant environments and especially when it’s ran by a hot shot chef. The flat out sexual stuff is slightly surprising and the racial stuff doesn’t shock me a bit.

These days, I think we have to take the sexual harassment allegations with a grain of salt. I honestly think there are some people who are always looking to be offended. It’s almost a badge of honor to say your boss harassed you. I’m not saying it’s ok or that it doesn’t happen. It does and everyone should feel safe in their workplace.
I don't post much but this comment is truly horrible and needs to be called out
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:46 am Definitely agree there’s a culture of hostility in back of house restaurant environments and especially when it’s ran by a hot shot chef. The flat out sexual stuff is slightly surprising and the racial stuff doesn’t shock me a bit.

These days, I think we have to take the sexual harassment allegations with a grain of salt. I honestly think there are some people who are always looking to be offended. It’s almost a badge of honor to say your boss harassed you. I’m not saying it’s ok or that it doesn’t happen. It does and everyone should feel safe in their workplace.
He's not necessarily wrong on the phrase *some* but at the same time my guess is the amount of reported serious sexual harassment is dramatically under reported to the level that this claim is tone deaf.

https://www.eeoc.gov/statistics/charges ... 10-fy-2019

In 2019 more than half of federal title vii claims were found to have no merit. These are cases where the person didn't fear filing a formal complaint and went through to resolution.

My guess is it's like most things, some large percentage of cases are legitimate complaints and there was no evidence. Is it 90%, 95% or 99% I don't know. But it's not 100%.
There's always someone who sees someone getting attention and connects the dots in a negative way and aims for the same thing.

The problem is people tend to focus on the false claims and selection bias comes into play. It's incredible how much the culture of sweeping things under the rug with settlements affects people's opinion.

One thing I find interesting is only 1 in 7 is filed by a man. When you think about that number and how men harass each other too this is easily dramatically under reported.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Someone take this thread to the dumpster.
mykn

Post by mykn »

flyingember wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:47 am

He's not necessarily wrong on the phrase *some* but at the same time my guess is the amount of reported serious sexual harassment is dramatically under reported to the level that this claim is tone deaf.

https://www.eeoc.gov/statistics/charges ... 10-fy-2019

In 2019 more than half of federal title vii claims were found to have no merit. These are cases where the person didn't fear filing a formal complaint and went through to resolution.

My guess is it's like most things, some large percentage of cases are legitimate complaints and there was no evidence. Is it 90%, 95% or 99% I don't know. But it's not 100%.
There's always someone who sees someone getting attention and connects the dots in a negative way and aims for the same thing.

The problem is people tend to focus on the false claims and selection bias comes into play. It's incredible how much the culture of sweeping things under the rug with settlements affects people's opinion.

One thing I find interesting is only 1 in 7 is filed by a man. When you think about that number and how men harass each other too this is easily dramatically under reported.
There's always going to be false allegations, I just find it curious why it always seems to be a "big problem" when its about sexual harassment, especially among conservatives like DColeKC. Your observation about 1 in 7 are men is very good, there's a socialized aspect of masculinity to accepting abuse and violations of your consent and sucking it up, think of all the times as a kid you (if you're a guy) were bullied or hit and were mocked or harmed further if you complained about it.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

PF was a fine enough place to go if someone else was paying.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Oh boo hoo. I’m actually surprised it took a few days for someone to be offended by my comment as I knew someone would be.

As someone that has spent several years around this type of environment I can absolutely agree sexual harassment exists. I can also agree that many employees, specifically women, use their gender and flirtation to get preferred shifts and treatment. Than, will flip it to their advantage and make claims. This was confirmed recently as this news broke and I was with 5 women who have all worked in that industry in the past. From bartenders to general managers.

It’s pathetic that some people can’t admit that not all claims of sexual harassment are in fact true. If telling the truth makes me reprehensible, so be it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

And btw. I had a sit down with Patrick Ryan years ago as we were both a part of the same project at the time. I didn’t like the guy from the second I met him. He came across as creepy and arrogant.
mykn

Post by mykn »

So you’d be cool with people you work with or your family knowing your horrendous opinions?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mykn wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:51 pm So you’d be cool with people you work with or your family knowing your horrendous opinions?
How many years have you spent working around the bar and restaurant world? How many court depositions have you had to attend?

My opinion is there’s no place for sexual harassment in any work environment which is evidenced by the amount of people I’ve fired over the last two decades for inappropriate comments. The bar industry specifically is odd and wild place. I’ve had to fire male managers for having consensual relationships with hourly staff.

I think somewhere along the way here, you’ve assumed that I’m a conservative so I’m cool with women being harassed? Which isn’t true and I have zero tolerance for it.

God forbid someone brings up the reality of the situation instead of playing it safe and “believing all victims”.

Besides, I feel that racism is a bigger issue in the industry to be honest.

You can have your opinion that my opinion is horrendous. The truth isn’t pretty.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bones.25 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:31 pm

I don't post much but this comment is truly horrible and needs to be called out
Glad I could inspire you to post.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The person in here has shown reprehensible conduct for awhile, and it doesn’t reflect well on cordish and the people they choose to hire.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:44 pm The person in here has shown reprehensible conduct for awhile, and it doesn’t reflect well on cordish and the people they choose to hire.
I don’t work for Cordish and you know nothing about me based on a fucking Internet forum. Grow up.

You also need to be reminded that this is a public forum where many opinions happen. There’s absolutely no reason to get personal and try to imply anyone who hires me is making a mistake. That’s a very serious allegation and you’re fucking with a persons livelihood over what..... opinions on a forum?
Last edited by DColeKC on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I’m not going to walk back my comment. I didn’t formulate my opinion without the input of some women who came up in the industry. But hey, not surprised a few dudes on this forum think they know more than those women and are offended for them because I said some people are looking to be harassed. This isn’t the same as “asking for it” which i would never say. It’s people looking to get the upper hand on their boss. It’s like the people who fake a fall at a place of business so they can sue. I’m sure the vast majority of falls are true accidents but there’s no denying there are also people looking for an opportunity.

Some of you like to be very selective of what I say and not take into consideration the entirety of what I say.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

The intolerance of differing opinions and refusal to even entertain a simple conversation is ridiculous. Y'all need to grow up.
mykn

Post by mykn »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:13 pm I think somewhere along the way here, you’ve assumed that I’m a conservative so I’m cool with women being harassed? Which isn’t true and I have zero tolerance for it.
Walks like a duck, talks like a duck