Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Westport

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:15 pm Owner Of Kansas City's Tivoli Cinemas Says Friday Will Be Its Last Day

https://www.kcur.org/post/owner-kansas- ... y#stream/0

KC's oldest independent movie theater will close its curtains for good

http://tinyurl.com/yxlcylz8

The Tivoli Theater has been resurrected at the Nelson-Atkins Museum's auditorium.

Kansas City's Tivoli Theater Gets A Hollywood Ending, Will Re-Open At The Nelson-Atkins Museum

Starting in October, the Tivoli will re-open as the Tivoli at the Nelson-Atkins.

The Museum's 500-seat Atkins Auditorium will get significant upgrades, including updated digital projection equipment, a sound system overhaul and a new, larger film screen.
Independent, foreign and classic films will be shown four times a week, Mondays at 11:15 a.m., Wednesdays at 1 p.m., Fridays at 7 p.m. and Sundays at 1 p.m. Tickets are $10, or $7 for members.
https://www.kcur.org/post/kansas-citys- ... m#stream/0
KCKev2
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCKev2 »

Tried to hail the bus today at Westport Road and Broadway, and was denied.
KCKev2
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCKev2 »

With all the construction, there is no alternative stops. KCATA fail.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

For 4-concepts-in-1 restaurant developer, new Westport location was love at first sight
Atomic Provisions is undertaking a full-gut renovation of the old City Ice Building in Westport as it prepares to plug in four of its signature food concepts, all in one space.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... =e_du_prem
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Hmm...... New Westport urban square. Hmm....let's discuss more...

https://twitter.com/kclightrail/status/ ... 6769587201
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Details?
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

No details. The speaker just wanted us to consider unusual options for creating city-building public space. This one seemed worthy more discussion.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

AlbertHammond wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:56 pm No details. The speaker just wanted us to consider unusual options for creating city-building public space. This one seemed worthy more discussion.
I think we lack the density to support a square like that. If we stop fighting Opus-esque projects we might get there sooner than later.

I certainly think we should shut down the weird cut through in front of Mills Records and expand the existing plaza to allow Corner Restaurant and others to have some tables which would activate the space for now.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I don’t think we really need to have that high of density to have a square work. Squares exist everywhere and I think would help spurn development. My biggest worry would be shutting down broadway. Slow it down take out a few lanes, but I would eventually like to see main shut down which would necessitate Broadway stay open.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCKev2 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:11 pm Tried to hail the bus today at Westport Road and Broadway, and was denied.
Were you actually at the bus stop? Did you have a drink with no lid?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Riverite wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:13 pm I don’t think we really need to have that high of density to have a square work. Squares exist everywhere and I think would help spurn development. My biggest worry would be shutting down broadway. Slow it down take out a few lanes, but I would eventually like to see main shut down which would necessitate Broadway stay open.
With Main likely to get a road diet with streetcar line it could be a problem to road diet Broadway as well. I like the idea of shutting off the stretch along Corner Restaurant and allow more outdoor seating but that part of Westport is otherwise fine. The E Side of Westport towards Main needs more focus with residential development (old XO, Osco lot and was hoping the doggy daycare would be torn down for a midrise residential).
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Yeah, just removing the cut through and expanding the existing public space along Broadway and Westport Road would be a big win, along with maybe doing some expanded curbs around the intersection at Broadway there to reduce the width of the crossing and slow traffic.

Want to see some of the Westport nightlife diluted and spread east of Broadway; it's too quiet over there, and too densely packed with bars on the other side (not enough other uses). Maybe retail on the ground floor of the OPUS project will help here.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Riverite wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:13 pm My biggest worry would be shutting down broadway. Slow it down take out a few lanes..
I think the Savannah squares could be a great influence here. The Broadway traffic could calmy loop around the "Westport Square" and support the businesses facing the square. Maybe add angle parking along the perimeter of the square for business and park users.

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

No parking, no party
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

My take.....

Sure....bike lane and stuff, but this was a quick lunch hour creation.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

=D> =D> =D>
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Great design. If implemented, it would look like it had always been there
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlbertHammond wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:28 pm My take.....

Sure....bike lane and stuff, but this was a quick lunch hour creation.
Sorry, but I wasn't sure how to add attribution...

https://twitter.com/kclightrail/status/ ... 7722368001
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I think it would be way smarter to just have Broadway flow as it does now. That plaza should just be an extension of the sidewalk in front of Mills (as others have suggested.)

If the illustrated plan was implemented that intersection would get crazy and you'd have some drunk person either ramming into the plaza, sidewalk bump-outs...or drive the wrong way down Broadway. Also this cuts the plaza off from the sidewalk with what would be heavy traffic. Making it contiguous with the sidewalks to the east would create a large patio space with no crossing traffic to get there!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Both ideas have their pros/cons and would be nice to see solid diagrams for both discussed. A common urban priority that I'd suggest focusing on is #1 pedestrians, #2 bikes/scooters, #3 transit (buses passing through need to be factored) with cars and parking as lowest priority. Cars/buses circling a square may not be best option from pedx perspective, depending on how pulled off.

And if free fare buses happen, might be easier to pull street parking.