Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

[quote="brewcrew1000"][quote="longviewmo"][quote]Areas such as Martini Corner in the 31st Street and Gillham Road area, Brookside, Waldo and the new Prairiefire center in south Johnson County allow consumers to go out for a drink closer to home.[/quote]

One of these is not like the others.[/quote]

I would actually argue Martini Corner is not like the others. I think Brookside and Waldo are much more Suburban and similar to Prarirefire than what Martini Corner is. There were times that Brookside and Waldo were the So Johnson County of KC, I doubt Martini Corner was ever like that.[/quote]
Geography aside, BKS, Waldo, Westport, and Martini Corner are all filled with eclectic, independent, locally owned restaurants and bars in charming, walkable building stock. Prarie Fire will load up on suburb friendly corporate crap like rock and brew, wasabi and whatever concepts they can keep paying PBJ to roll out.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
longviewmo wrote:
Areas such as Martini Corner in the 31st Street and Gillham Road area, Brookside, Waldo and the new Prairiefire center in south Johnson County allow consumers to go out for a drink closer to home.
One of these is not like the others.
I would actually argue Martini Corner is not like the others. I think Brookside and Waldo are much more Suburban and similar to Prarirefire than what Martini Corner is. There were times that Brookside and Waldo were the So Johnson County of KC, I doubt Martini Corner was ever like that.
1890s
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Normal Human is now open at 827 Westport Road. Saw their t-shirts at Boulevardia and liked them a lot, so take a look.

http://www.nrmlhmn.com/
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:Normal Human is now open at 827 Westport Road. Saw their t-shirts at Boulevardia and liked them a lot, so take a look.

http://www.nrmlhmn.com/
I went to the opening, and the store looks great. The mayor showed up, evidently due to a tweet about the event.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The city core needs several more nook&cranny small eat lounges doing this, is what gives cities depth...
http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... last-night
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

The Q is changing color...
This reminds me a bit of the 1960s when we covered up all those icky 50 year old buildings only to cherish them later and repair the damage caused during the earlier coverup. In 2030, they will strip this building back down and try to make it look like it did before. I am not saying the renovation wont look good, just that this is a common theme in life. The brick just seemed 'right' for Westport.

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

slimwhitman wrote:The Q is changing color...
This reminds me a bit of the 1960s when we covered up all those icky 50 year old buildings only to cherish them later and repair the damage caused during the earlier coverup. In 2030, they will strip this building back down and try to make it look like it did before. I am not saying the renovation wont look good, just that this is a common theme in life. The brick just seemed 'right' for Westport.

Painting brick should be a crime.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

IDK, I think in this case it might be justified. Looking at the picture, I realize that I never even have noticed the hotel. A more modern, bright exterior probably will draw more people to the hotel. Plus, it's not like its any architectural gem. It's time to kill 1980.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

beautyfromashes wrote:IDK, I think in this case it might be justified. Looking at the picture, I realize that I never even have noticed the hotel. A more modern, bright exterior probably will draw more people to the hotel. Plus, it's not like its any architectural gem. It's time to kill 1980.
I think your post proves the original point exactly. What's not old enough to be "historic" now is quickly discarded or changed, while the next generation might be trying to reverse those changes.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

lock+load wrote:I think your post proves the original point exactly. What's not old enough to be "historic" now is quickly discarded or changed, while the next generation might be trying to reverse those changes.
I understand the preservationists guidebook says, "Never paint brick!". I get it. But, how many old growth wood floors are in place today because they were carpeted over? How many plaster crown moldings are in place because of drop ceilings? If this is an architectural gem in 50 years (we all know it won't be) then steam clean off the paint. I think this update will make that area of Westport better and turn a dated, 1980s suburban style hotel into something modern, clean and new.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The brick gave Westport some continuity and theme. This suburban stucco-fication is like what Highwoods is doing to the Plaza.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

moderne wrote:The brick gave Westport some continuity and theme. This suburban stucco-fication is like what Highwoods is doing to the Plaza.
They will now blend more readily with the Sonic next door.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

beautyfromashes wrote:I think this update will make that area of Westport better and turn a dated, 1980s suburban style hotel into something modern, clean and new.
suburban style?

For me, the building was a nice contributor to Westport. It is architecturally forgettable, but not bad. That is Westport....a bunch of bland brick buildings that contribute to the greater whole. This building does not want to stand out. Why do architects think every building must stand on its own...trying to be better than the next (or last). A good building that blends with its surroundings is a better fit for Westport than a 'great' piece of architecture that doesn't fit in or consider the surrounding context. It can still be 'modern' AND fit the overall Westport theme.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

slimwhitman wrote:suburban style?
Ok. What style is it?
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

beautyfromashes wrote:
slimwhitman wrote:suburban style?
Ok. What style is it?
As urban as you can get without a parking structure. No visible parking from Westport Road makes it a good contributor to the corridor.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

slimwhitman wrote:As urban as you can get without a parking structure. No visible parking from Westport Road makes it a good contributor to the corridor.
To each his own, I guess. That dark blank brick just says 1980s modern Residents Inn to me. I wouldn't say that it currently fits in with Westport at all, just because it has brick. Of course, some people thought the apartments on the Plaza they were going to tear out fit with a Spanish style.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

beautyfromashes wrote:I understand the preservationists guidebook says, "Never paint brick!". I get it. But, how many old growth wood floors are in place today because they were carpeted over? How many plaster crown moldings are in place because of drop ceilings? If this is an architectural gem in 50 years (we all know it won't be) then steam clean off the paint. I think this update will make that area of Westport better and turn a dated, 1980s suburban style hotel into something modern, clean and new.
Carpet and drop ceilings are not in the same category as painting brick. Removing carpet or a drop ceiling is relatively easy. Paint is much more permanent. It can be removed, but it is expensive and difficult.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

lock+load wrote:Carpet and drop ceilings are not in the same category as painting brick. Removing carpet or a drop ceiling is relatively easy. Paint is much more permanent. It can be removed, but it is expensive and difficult.
Not really. I've had it done to buildings before. It depends on the condition of the paint, how many layers and such, but it's about the same as painting and you get the better look. Took two days for a six-plex apartment.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote:The brick gave Westport some continuity and theme. This suburban stucco-fication is like what Highwoods is doing to the Plaza.
the plaza was designed to be a suburban shopping center for his suburban home developments along Ward Parkway. department stores, gas station, movie theatre

it's constantly changing, don't assign it some arbitrary never changing urban masterpiece ideal to it, since that's not what it is.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The term "suburban" in the 20's-50's was different than the 50's on.

Independence avenue was a suburb of downtown at the time it was built.