Jared Allen Sports Arena & Grill: 700 Southwest Blvd

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Jared Allen Sports Arena & Grill: 700 Southwest Blvd

Post by kucer »

Looks like it's opening in March.

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/461590.html
“This will be a one-stop sports event, but a restaurant first,” Allen said. “Good food is key.”

Allen has put his personal chef, Rodney Clodfelter, in charge of the menu — everything from bar food to upscale entrees, all cooked to order.

Members of the Romo family, owners of the building, also are partners in the new operation.

On Friday, artists were putting finishing touches on University of Missouri and University of Kansas logos wrapping around the walls of the restaurant area, with the other Big 12 logos to come. A mural of Allen in top sacking form will be by the front entrance.

The spot has housed several operations, from original tenant California Taqueria in 1995 to Cafe Sevilla to Casa Grande.

Allen said he was attracted to the size of the operation and its upscale design, which includes Spanish architecture, towering ceilings and windows, and arched passageways.

The operation will offer shuttles to Arrowhead Stadium and to lofts and hotels in the downtown loop, as well as valet service and golf cart service from area parking lots.

It also will enforce a strict dress code.

“We won’t tolerate trouble, no riffraff,” said general manager Chuck Tabor. “The clients we expect to come in will be a cut above.”
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Jared Allen Sports Arena & Grill: 700 Southwest Blvd

Post by AllThingsKC »

I'm justing waiting for someone to post a joke about the bar's new slogan, with a reference to drinking and driving.  8-[
KC is the way to be!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

where will i take my riff-raff?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Would he open this restaurant if he wasn't going to sign a long term contract?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

He's likely to get the franchise tag this year. At least that is what he thinks King Carl will do.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

NDTeve wrote: Would he open this restaurant if he wasn't going to sign a long term contract?
I look at this as good news, but just because his name is on it, doesn't mean he can't be the owner from thousands of miles away. 
KC is the way to be!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote: I look at this as good news, but just because his name is on it, doesn't mean he can't be the owner from thousands of miles away. 
Neil Smith owned a cajun restaurant at 119th and Metcalf after he left KC and while he played for Oakland/San Diego.  I guess that place, Copelands, is now out of business.  Too bad, it had great food. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Agreed...always enjoyed Copelands.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Highlander wrote: Neil Smith owned a cajun restaurant at 119th and Metcalf after he left KC and while he played for Oakland/San Diego.  I guess that place, Copelands, is now out of business.  Too bad, it had great food. 
I believe Neil is still a partner in the new Brazilian Steakhouse in that location.  Same owners as Copelands, just a new concept.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Highlander wrote: Neil Smith owned a cajun restaurant at 119th and Metcalf after he left KC and while he played for Oakland/San Diego.  I guess that place, Copelands, is now out of business.  Too bad, it had great food. 
I believe he played in Denver for 2 or 3 years collecting 2 super bowl rings before he returned to KC.  He did keep his house here those years.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
Nathan
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Nathan »

How about the awesomeness that is the full page ad in this weeks Pitch.  Such detail and skill to get the armless man tackling the handless man. 

See you at the grand opening Friday!
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Members of the Romo family, owners of the building, also are partners in the new operation.

Kick ass !  We'll have a Jessica Simpson sighting in no time.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

any reviews?
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

My wife and her friends (all not from KC nor very familiar) ate on SWB last night.  As they drove by, the out of town girls wondered what the hell that weird building is.  My wife explained. 

She said that it look really busy.  Lots of cars in the parking lot.  Not much information, I know, but its all I got.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

we walked in friday night and promptly walked right out. very crowded, high douchebag ratio.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

DaveKCMO wrote: we walked in friday night and promptly walked right out. very crowded, high douchebag ratio.
No real surprises there.
- Mark Twain
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

DaveKCMO wrote: we walked in friday night and promptly walked right out. very crowded, high douchebag ratio.
Kinda like this?

LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

tell me that picture is a joke?!?!?
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I had lunch there yesterday.  It was fairly good.  They do have the poppers with cheddar cheese, rather than cream cheese, which I really like.  I don’t think they were as good as Sonic.  The Philly cheese steak was good and The Gater Po’boy was also good.  Chuck, one of the owners did get up on a stage they have and announced that on Saturday for the NC/KU game that there were a few seats left to watch the game and bet. The bet is that when you come in you give them your credit card and sign a waiver.  If KU wins your tab is free.  If NC wins, you pay double.  Cool.  I wonder if they will cut people off if KU is up by 20 with 10 minutes left and everyone starts ordering everything on the menu.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

Anybody know whats happening to this place now that he's leaving town?