UMKC Architecture program moving out of Epperson House

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

UMKC Architecture program moving out of Epperson House

Post by FangKC »

The UMKC Architecture program is moving out of Epperson House to Katz Hall.

http://media.www.unews.com/media/storag ... storiestab

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epperson_House

There is no fifth destination.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: UMKC Architecture program moving out of Epperson House

Post by warwickland »

Ah, I took a few classes in Epperson House. Memories. Should of taken more geology classes instead of those urban planning classes and I might of had a shot at a PG now, oops.  :)

Most enjoyable classes I ever took, though.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

WOW!!! :shock:  Epperson House was such an awesome place to study and work.  Being a former student/Alumni of UMKC's Architecture department, I know first hand, the charm and appeal that Epperson House offered to students.  Having a haunted mansion for your studio (that's classroom for you non design and art students  :wink: ) was such an amazing experience. 

Full time design student had full access to the House 24/7 and we studied, worked, played, and even slept there. I made some life long friends there as well and Epperson House was part of that experience.
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder what they are going to do with Epperson House now?
There is no fifth destination.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I had classes in Epperson way back when it was used by the Conservatory.  The perfect old house - rooms set a few steps up or down from others, all the wood paneling, the great room, the balcony over the great room.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

FangKC wrote: I wonder what they are going to do with Epperson House now?
IMHO, they are going to make into administrative offices and meeting rooms.  Epperson House is an actual mansion where they converted the typical rooms into smaller or odd shaped classrooms.  The studio spaces on the 2nd floor had bathrooms in between them :D  There are some larger rooms where typical classes can be held but the there's not too many of them.

I remember a bunch of us said we would buy Epperson House if they ever decide to sell or try to demolish it, but none of us are "Starchitects" just yet with the cash flow :D
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

warwickland wrote: Ah, I took a few classes in Epperson House. Memories. Should of taken more geology classes instead of those urban planning classes and I might of had a shot at a PG now, oops.  :)

Most enjoyable classes I ever took, though.
PG???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PG
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Highlander wrote: PG???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PG
P.G.

:D
acepiloto
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by acepiloto »

As a guy who was just accepted to UMKC's Urban Planning program, why did you want to take geology instead of urban planning? Just curious.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

UMKC Seeks Partner to Restore Historic Epperson House
The Request for Interest calls for proposals “to complete the historic restoration of the Epperson House exterior, interior public spaces and grounds; along with a strategic renovation and repurposing of the private spaces for compatible market-rate revenue-generating office or hospitality uses that support the urban engagement mission of UMKC, the desire of the community to see the house restored and the interests of the developer while covering the operating costs of the facility.”
https://www.umkc.edu/news/posts/2020/fe ... house.html
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I attended classes in that house in the '70s when it was being used by the conservatory. It is the house of my dreams. Literally. Staircases up and down partial floors off long halls. Balcony overlooking the great room. Most beautiful, fanciful house I've ever seen. Yes, I've seen Biltmore. Haven't seen the Hearst castle.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Haunted.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Don't bother seeing Hearst Castle if its beauty you seek. Its a bizarre collection of a megalomaniac, something Putin might have somewhere in Crimea.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

UMKC Seeks Ideas to Revitalize Historic Epperson House
UMKC is seeking ideas to save and revitalize the Epperson House, a vacant, century-old former mansion on its campus that’s been a repeat nominee on Historic KC’s most endangered list.
“A collaboration among philanthropic, state, and local officials, developers, and preservationists will be necessary for a full restoration and 21st-century adaptive reuse of this local landmark.”
“It was built to the finest standard of its time,” Gauthier said. “Cosmetic things need to be fixed, but the parts of the building that are primary from a historic tax credit point of view, they’re in good shape.”

Gauthier said the old mansion’s layout lent itself to be potentially repositioned as an event and conference center. The three-level building once had a swimming pool on its ground level and has a flexible, open floor plan that could serve a variety of uses.

It’s main floor still has many of the features of its days as a residence including the former library, living room, smoking room, dining room and an indoor-outdoor terrarium. The third floor is a honeycomb of bedrooms, bathrooms and hallways.

One of the major challenges to restoring and reusing the old mansion is retrofitting it to meet the standards of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The mechanical systems also must be upgraded.

Gauthier estimated it would cost $8 million to $12 million to renovate Epperson for new uses.
UMKC is asking parties interested in submitting ideas for Epperson to contact Bill Haverly, university director, facilities planning design & construction, at w.haverly@umkc.edu. Proposals will begin being reviewed at the end of January.
https://cityscenekc.com/umkc-seeks-idea ... son-house/
The Request for Interest calls for proposals “to complete the historic restoration of the Epperson House exterior, interior public spaces and grounds; along with a strategic renovation and repurposing of the private spaces for compatible market-rate revenue-generating office or hospitality uses that support the urban engagement mission of UMKC, the desire of the community to see the house restored and the interests of the developer while covering the operating costs of the facility.”

Interested parties should contact Robert A. Simmons, associate vice chancellor for administration, at simmonsr@umkc.edu or 816-235-1354.
https://www.umkc.edu/news/posts/2020/fe ... house.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epperson_House

http://www.squeezeboxcity.com/the-fall- ... son-house/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Haven't they been doing this off an on for years
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes. I have a feeling at this point they are going through the motions of appearing to find ways to save it so when they demolish it they can say "hey, we tried."
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Bro...I would not wanna fuck with that house! That thing is haunted and I have seen weird things at night there when I do my nightly walks passing it as a student. Don't mess with it!!

The hauntings: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epperson_House#Hauntings