Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Westport

Post by DaveKCMO »

Nothing will change unless ownership changes.

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

When the sidewalks were vacated, it was because the businesses decided that they didn't want to change how they operated. The sidewalk vacation pushed the district's crime problems from the street outside the bars to the streets surrounding Westport. I'd expect these kinds of crimes to continue to happen.

Goonies
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Goonies »

chaglang wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:54 am
When the sidewalks were vacated, it was because the businesses decided that they didn't want to change how they operated. The sidewalk vacation pushed the district's crime problems from the street outside the bars to the streets surrounding Westport. I'd expect these kinds of crimes to continue to happen.
That's the thing that's a little puzzling because sure some of the crimes happened in the middle of Westport but mostly just like now the shootings are happening out of the main area. So just about nothing haa really changed and even more money is being spent. Its quite odd.

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It's almost like the sidewalk vacation plan was more of a land grab by the businesses and not an actual crime reduction strategy.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It probably doesn't help that Missouri has gun laws that allow practically anyone to have an open carry, concealed carry gun without permits, background checks, anything.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:29 pm
It probably doesn't help that Missouri has gun laws that allow practically anyone to have an open carry, concealed carry gun without permits, background checks, anything.
There are plenty of neighborhoods without rampant gun play. It's about content!

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

When I bought my house in 2008, my neighborhood was very quiet. After the legislature overruled Gov. Nixon's veto on changes in gun laws in Missouri, within a year there was the constant sound of gunfire in the neighborhood, almost nightly. When I couldn't hear it myself, I could see it was happening in another part of the neighborhood by posts on Facebook.

Businesses in St. Louis are threatening to leave downtown over night-time gunfire and getting their windows shot out. It's not just a small restaurant. It is their biggest employers.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... in-article

normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:09 pm
When I bought my house in 2008, my neighborhood was very quiet. After the legislature overruled Gov. Nixon's veto on changes in gun laws in Missouri, within a year there was the constant sound of gunfire in the neighborhood, almost nightly. When I couldn't hear it myself, I could see it was happening in another part of the neighborhood by posts on Facebook.

Businesses in St. Louis are threatening to leave downtown over night-time gunfire and getting their windows shot out. It's not just a small restaurant. It is their biggest employers.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... in-article
STL had almost 400 cases of buildings being shot in their downtown alone last year. We have thankfully been spared from this level of random violence.

Goonies
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Goonies »

FangKC wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:29 pm
KC had issues with violent crime before then.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's not about violent crime. It's about stupidity. Young people riding around in cars shooting at things. Irresponsible people standing in their back yard shooting up into the air. Before 2016, I never once called 911 to report gunfire at night. I lived in my house more than seven years without it happening. It's now a regular "thing," and it's a common talking point on the neighborhood Facebook page. My neighbor has lived in her house for 55 years, and she says it was never like this until recently.

My point is that there was a huge uptick in gunfire at night after 2016 when the legislature allowed concealed carry of firearms without a permit, any training, or background checks. Virtually anyone can buy a gun without demonstrating any responsibility, maturity, or experience in handling one.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2159695 ... /?q=bullet

Goonies
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Goonies »

RIP Riot Room

beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by beautyfromashes »

Goonies wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:35 pm
RIP Riot Room
They’re going to have to set fire to that bathroom. Zero chance of ever getting it clean otherwise.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That's how one builds one's immune system.

Goonies
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Goonies »

I've heard the new Tin Roof place that is being built nextdoor where the foundry was is taking over. Will be interesting with that and the place going into where Californos was you'll have 3 country music venues in Westport. Kind of wonder why there wasnt more in Westport for along time as Country is probably the most popular genre in this area.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It is kind of surprising.

New York CIty has one of the Top 10 country radio stations in the USA.

Goonies
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Goonies »

This is Westportish? Does anyone know what's with the fence around the building off Southwest Trafficway by that island that always has accidents?

slimwhitman
New York Life
New York Life

Post by slimwhitman »

Goonies wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:09 pm
This is Westportish? Does anyone know what's with the fence around the building off Southwest Trafficway by that island that always has accidents?
FOR CLARITY: https://goo.gl/maps/KTW3KCBbazoEx2Br6

dukuboy1
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dukuboy1 »

That stinks, loved going there to hear band since it was The Hurricane. Place will be missed. Country is not my scene and I’m not sure how well it will do. The Beaumont Club did ok for a long time but shut down, but even they did rock & alternative band shows from time to time. Will be interested to see what goes in but if it is Country themed I doubt I’ll ever go, maybe once or twice out of curiosity to see the place. Westport needs to embrace more of an artsy creative vibe than a college party. I wonder if it goes more that way as it become more dense with residents in the proposed development.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It is sad. The City needs venues like that to showcase local music and new acts coming through town. I used to do publicity for a music artist and I know how important all these independent venues are to their careers.

Goonies
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Goonies »

FangKC wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:38 am
It is sad. The City needs venues like that to showcase local music and new acts coming through town. I used to do publicity for a music artist and I know how important all these independent venues are to their careers.
But we knew it was coming as Westport continues to "develop" we will have a new watered down concert venue going in next door. Alot of people wanted to change Westport, well they are getting it. Enjoy your boring bland bar district.