Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Troost developments

Post by Riverite »

chaglang wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:48 pm I can understand some of the backlash. On one hand the OC guys have lives eats of Troost for a decade, but on the other they waited a looooong time to make the move - long enough that other places had already opened. But that FB thread was a lot of people discovering both that OC was moving, and that there were other coffee shops on Troost. Lots of Beckys and Chads from PV getting worked up about places they've never been and will never go.
I’ve noticed a trend of people decrying gentrification from outside of the city proper. It seems to be very doom and gloom.
Most of the discussions I’ve seen from inside the neighborhoods affected seem to be a lot more frank and logical. What I’ve seen from Mannheim seems to be more like yes we want more people in the neighborhood. Please also hire locals, and send your kids to the public schools.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:46 pm KC Star article on the Faris Farassati development for 45th and Troost:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 51847.html
He is proposing the construction of two, five-story buildings, to house about 100 apartments and commercial space. That would include Farassati’s company, which publishes a journal for cancer research.
Zach Nelson, with Kansas City planning and development, said the City Plan Commission was presented with the project last week.

“Staff has encouraged the applicant to have additional discussions with the neighborhood and to also submit additional plans before this can move forward,” Nelson said, adding that he is unsure when the commission will put the project on their agenda again.

Sterrett said the development team plans to build the project in two phases, and work with neighbors on the designs for both buildings. Then it would take a final design plan to the commission.

The article focusses on the neighborhood opposition (which I think is pretty much limited to just the properties behind this development). Objections over the height and lack of parking. The developer expects apartments to be rented for under $1,000. If the size was decreased and more parking provided, then the complaints would be over affordability/gentrification. At least it sounds like Manheim Park is behind the project.

I would think that the building fire from the homeless camp on this site would push some neighbors more toward supporting this project.

I think this may end up like the MAC four corners project. The process may get drawn out due to some neighborhood objections, but it should still get done. I think there is enough support and desire for development on Troost, that it can push past a few noisy NIMBYs.
Passed CPC today, presumably over objections from the adjacent neighbors.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Sewer construction underway to serve the townhomes to be built on SE corner of 29th and Forest. They have ripped out all of the trees in the fenced in park on B of Ed property on NW corner and are putting in some sort of holding tank for overflow.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

chaglang wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:50 pm
Passed CPC today, presumably over objections from the adjacent neighbors.
Great news. Any idea on next steps/timeline?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The URL kansascity4troost.org becomes available?

Haven't heard anything about a project timeline. If this project never got its financing together, I wouldn't be shocked.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Historic Oglesby Hotel Being Restored as Affordable Housing on Troost
The 130 year-old, Queen Anne-style mansion will find new life providing 25, one-bedroom apartments renting for $650 per month. Eight units will be eligible for KC Housing Authority low-income housing vouchers.
The entire renovation project will cost $6.9 million. About $2.4 million is coming from state and federal historic tax credits, another $1.8 million from the state low-income housing tax credit program and another $1 million from a city housing program.

The Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority (LCRA) also assisted by creating a “footprint” (single property/single project) Urban Renewal Area and awarding a 10-year property tax abatement.

The remainder of the funding is from private sources, including a $400,000 private donation.

The redevelopment is expected to be completed in mid-2022.
https://cityscenekc.com/historic-oglesb ... HVHbNafCPI

The small retail building in front has been demolished already.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3930+ ... 94.5725405
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:42 pm In the BizJournal article about Milhaus beginning move-ins for Artistry, there is a little blurb with more confirmation for the timeline on Milhaus's plans for 31st and Linwood:
McGurk said his firm also is working through Kansas City's zoning and design process for a transit-oriented development at 31st Street and Troost Avenue, in tandem with apartments at Troost and Linwood Boulevard. The developer aims to start construction on those two projects in mid- to late 2021.
I noticed a Sunflower Development sign on the SW corner of Linwood and Troost. I don't recall them being involved in this project. Perhaps they are taking it over from Milhaus.

It was originally a UC-B development, and they have partnered with both Milhaus and Sunflower in the past, so that could be the connection. (As an aside, does it seem like UC-B has gone rather quiet lately? It seems like they were pumping out developments pretty regularly, but it doesn't seem like they have had much going on for a while).
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

No activity at Troost Village project for months. What happened?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:14 pm No activity at Troost Village project for months. What happened?
I thought they where close to completing the first phase
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

All activity has ceased on the first phase. There may have been some demo around the Firestone, but the terra cotta facade buildings are just sitting there incomplete.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

At the risk of sounding overly cynical, not surprising to hear re: Troost Village. The project looked and sounded like vaporware from the off. Hopefully the restoration of the existing buildings along Troost is at least completed within reason.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Has all activity completely stopped on the first phase? It seems like things are progressing very slowly and I don't notice a ton of activity on site, but it does seem like there generally workers around there and some activity being done - both phase 1 and the Firestone building.

Looking, at the first phase, it looks like permits are still being issued, with the most recent being on 11/18/21 for general mechanical work (HVAC).

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=moreinfo
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Moving slowly. Owner hates everyone he works with
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

It’s just horrific how bad Lucas and other council members have held back development with that stupid city ordinance. The city was still growing well Lucas first couple years because it was residue from Sky James coattails, but that pipe is dried up. This is the result now from Lucas administration. Stagnation. The rents are dropping, the incubators are leaving, the companies are being gutted too. Without changing the incentives deals for residential, I think we’re going to be Detroit this decade despite the new airport and streetcar.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:30 pm It’s just horrific how bad Lucas and other council members have held back development with that stupid city ordinance. The city was still growing well Lucas first couple years because it was residue from Sky James coattails, but that pipe is dried up. This is the result now from Lucas administration. Stagnation. The rents are dropping, the incubators are leaving, the companies are being gutted too. Without changing the incentives deals for residential, I think we’re going to be Detroit this decade despite the new airport and streetcar.
I appreciate that you've read this forum and have collected the popular talking points, but they really don't apply here. This is bad ownership not knowing what they're doing and overpromising publicly. Has nothing to do with city hall.

One of the owners in particular is an interesting guy and I'll leave it at that.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

A refresher.

https://www.startlandnews.com/2021/08/t ... ntractors/

I hope they pull it off. It's an exciting project on a part of Troost that needs some major love but has a ton of potential.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

horizons82 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:37 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:30 pm It’s just horrific how bad Lucas and other council members have held back development with that stupid city ordinance. The city was still growing well Lucas first couple years because it was residue from Sky James coattails, but that pipe is dried up. This is the result now from Lucas administration. Stagnation. The rents are dropping, the incubators are leaving, the companies are being gutted too. Without changing the incentives deals for residential, I think we’re going to be Detroit this decade despite the new airport and streetcar.
I appreciate that you've read this forum and have collected the popular talking points, but they really don't apply here. This is bad ownership not knowing what they're doing and overpromising publicly. Has nothing to do with city hall.

One of the owners in particular is an interesting guy and I'll leave it at that.
This wasn’t targeted at this specific development, but an observation about things as a whole in this city right now. We are dooming ourselves to become Detroit and it’s sad to watch the wasted potential of a city that was probably about to become the growth rate of Denver/Tampa this decade. Due to all the reasons listed above. Lucas has led us into a dire future.

Just look at Rag for example. When joined here in July, there was development to comment on everyday. Since then, it’s gotten less and less till the pipeline is just dry now, and we’re going days without even a comment because there’s nothing going on. The Sly James leftovers are dried up for Lucas and we’re on bare ground now.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Winter (especially December and January) is traditionally the slowest time for development announcements. There’s nothing new about that.

I’m not going to debate the current council’s policies, but I can say my firm is still seeing a steady stream of projects for KCMO proper.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

horizons82 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:13 am Winter (especially December and January) is traditionally the slowest time for development announcements. There’s nothing new about that.

I’m not going to debate the current council’s policies, but I can say my firm is still seeing a steady stream of projects for KCMO proper.
Fair enough. I was wondering in the back of my head if maybe it was Christmas season and people were just home for holidays, so no action going on. DColeKC has to take a break sometimes!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

To recap, this is a small-time developer who has vastly overpromised and is likely in over his head. If you scroll back a few pages you will see that people here have been sounding notes of caution about this project for a long time. The images that get released for puff pieces in Startland or the Business Journal (and posted here) often have no relation to reality. For example, the massive development images released a year or so ago included buildings on land that are in development by other parties. After years of construction on fairly small renovation projects in low-rise buildings, we may have to acknowledge that larger, new developments or even the renovation of 911 Linwood might all be vaporware. It has nothing to do with local politics, it's 100% about this developer's resources.

Also FWIW, we are busy with projects in KCMO also. And the same is true with nearly everyone in AEC I have talked to - and the 2022 projections are very strong.The warnings on this board about pipelines drying up have never matched up with what I see on a daily basis - which is not to say that they aren't true at all, only that they aren't universally true.