Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Westport

Post by FangKC »

When I bought my house in 2008, my neighborhood was very quiet. After the legislature overruled Gov. Nixon's veto on changes in gun laws in Missouri, within a year there was the constant sound of gunfire in the neighborhood, almost nightly. When I couldn't hear it myself, I could see it was happening in another part of the neighborhood by posts on Facebook.

Businesses in St. Louis are threatening to leave downtown over night-time gunfire and getting their windows shot out. It's not just a small restaurant. It is their biggest employers.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... in-article
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:09 pm When I bought my house in 2008, my neighborhood was very quiet. After the legislature overruled Gov. Nixon's veto on changes in gun laws in Missouri, within a year there was the constant sound of gunfire in the neighborhood, almost nightly. When I couldn't hear it myself, I could see it was happening in another part of the neighborhood by posts on Facebook.

Businesses in St. Louis are threatening to leave downtown over night-time gunfire and getting their windows shot out. It's not just a small restaurant. It is their biggest employers.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... in-article
STL had almost 400 cases of buildings being shot in their downtown alone last year. We have thankfully been spared from this level of random violence.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's not about violent crime. It's about stupidity. Young people riding around in cars shooting at things. Irresponsible people standing in their back yard shooting up into the air. Before 2016, I never once called 911 to report gunfire at night. I lived in my house more than seven years without it happening. It's now a regular "thing," and it's a common talking point on the neighborhood Facebook page. My neighbor has lived in her house for 55 years, and she says it was never like this until recently.

My point is that there was a huge uptick in gunfire at night after 2016 when the legislature allowed concealed carry of firearms without a permit, any training, or background checks. Virtually anyone can buy a gun without demonstrating any responsibility, maturity, or experience in handling one.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2159695 ... /?q=bullet
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Goonies wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:35 pmRIP Riot Room
They’re going to have to set fire to that bathroom. Zero chance of ever getting it clean otherwise.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That's how one builds one's immune system.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It is kind of surprising.

New York CIty has one of the Top 10 country radio stations in the USA.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

Goonies wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:09 pm This is Westportish? Does anyone know what's with the fence around the building off Southwest Trafficway by that island that always has accidents?
FOR CLARITY: https://goo.gl/maps/KTW3KCBbazoEx2Br6
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

That stinks, loved going there to hear band since it was The Hurricane. Place will be missed. Country is not my scene and I’m not sure how well it will do. The Beaumont Club did ok for a long time but shut down, but even they did rock & alternative band shows from time to time. Will be interested to see what goes in but if it is Country themed I doubt I’ll ever go, maybe once or twice out of curiosity to see the place. Westport needs to embrace more of an artsy creative vibe than a college party. I wonder if it goes more that way as it become more dense with residents in the proposed development.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It is sad. The City needs venues like that to showcase local music and new acts coming through town. I used to do publicity for a music artist and I know how important all these independent venues are to their careers.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

slimwhitman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:28 pm
Goonies wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:09 pm This is Westportish? Does anyone know what's with the fence around the building off Southwest Trafficway by that island that always has accidents?
FOR CLARITY: https://goo.gl/maps/KTW3KCBbazoEx2Br6
Well, that is owned by Price Brothers, so it will probably be demolished and sit as a vacant lot in perpetuity.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

That's a bummer for sure. But good for him on retiring. I'm sure another pizza place will fill that spot. It was Pyramid Pizza for a bit before Joe's I believe.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

FangKC wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:31 am My point is that there was a huge uptick in gunfire at night after 2016 when the legislature allowed concealed carry of firearms without a permit, any training, or background checks. Virtually anyone can buy a gun without demonstrating any responsibility, maturity, or experience in handling one.
Please provide facts and statistics to support your otherwise irrelevant claim that there was a "Huge uptick in gunfire at night after concealed carry..." blah blah blah that is actually connected to the fact that the law was changed. If there was an increase in gunfire at night, it most likely tracked the increase of crime in general in KC. Incase you hadn't noticed, KC isn't exactly a fixture of safe communities right now.... as it's among the deadliest in the US thanks to our increasingly liberal policies like those employed in the "Catch and release" program.

PS - People have been able to buy guns without demonstrating any responsibility, maturity, or experience in handling for hundreds of years. Modern gang bangers and idiots misusing firearms has nothing to do with concealed carry and law biding citizens.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Goonies wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:07 am Looks like the hopes of some on here to turn Westport into a watered down plaza are coming true. I hope you enjoy it.
Not aware of any post that some wanted Westport to become Plaza. A turn to more neighborhood leaning mix has been discussed... fewer party bars, add broader mix of local ethnic restaurants. Merge more towards W39th than Plaza. Harry's, Kelly's, Ca Va and dive bars are keepers. Trend more neighborhood oriented but still welcome metro.

Some of the closings are a concern (2 music venues, small pizza counter), clearly impacted by pandemic and hopefully the spaces aren't grabbed by mega chains. Westport has been losing its indie/counter culture edge though over time and could become more homogenized as higher rent apts within are added. Midtown overall is going to change as it redevelops and upgrades for better or worse. It is what it is, use the G word if you want. It's going to happen anyway but the pace will be dictated by demand for city living.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

The Westport Saloon has been a number of things in the past 25yrs or some from Torre's Pizza, to a few other failed attempts. It is sad that the live music venues went down. Like poster said more about the pandemic than anything else. Hopefully they will come back as the Riot Room(Hurricane before) as kind of a KC institution for great local music. Hope these places come back.

But the fact that the "college party bar" vibe is going by the way side is not a bad thing. I think with it becoming more of a neighborhood, distinct with it's overall own identity is good. NICe mix of local places to eat, drink, shop, even work. Gone are the days of it being a party MECCA, which again I think is ok. It will still be a destination but one that takes one more of a distinct neighborhood feel, like Crossroads, or W39th ST. area, etc. Would be neat for KC to have these distinct neighborhoods with their own personality so to speak.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

im2kull wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:48 am
FangKC wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:31 am My point is that there was a huge uptick in gunfire at night after 2016 when the legislature allowed concealed carry of firearms without a permit, any training, or background checks. Virtually anyone can buy a gun without demonstrating any responsibility, maturity, or experience in handling one.
Please provide facts and statistics to support your otherwise irrelevant claim that there was a "Huge uptick in gunfire at night after concealed carry..." blah blah blah that is actually connected to the fact that the law was changed. If there was an increase in gunfire at night, it most likely tracked the increase of crime in general in KC. Incase you hadn't noticed, KC isn't exactly a fixture of safe communities right now.... as it's among the deadliest in the US thanks to our increasingly liberal policies like those employed in the "Catch and release" program.

PS - People have been able to buy guns without demonstrating any responsibility, maturity, or experience in handling for hundreds of years. Modern gang bangers and idiots misusing firearms has nothing to do with concealed carry and law biding citizens.
Dog whistle symphony.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:56 pm The Westport Saloon has been a number of things in the past 25yrs or some from Torre's Pizza, to a few other failed attempts. It is sad that the live music venues went down. Like poster said more about the pandemic than anything else. Hopefully they will come back as the Riot Room(Hurricane before) as kind of a KC institution for great local music. Hope these places come back.

But the fact that the "college party bar" vibe is going by the way side is not a bad thing. I think with it becoming more of a neighborhood, distinct with it's overall own identity is good. NICe mix of local places to eat, drink, shop, even work. Gone are the days of it being a party MECCA, which again I think is ok. It will still be a destination but one that takes one more of a distinct neighborhood feel, like Crossroads, or W39th ST. area, etc. Would be neat for KC to have these distinct neighborhoods with their own personality so to speak.
I get the impression that it's the eat/drink/shop places that are going by the wayside, with them all being replaced by Johnny Kaw spinoffs.

Welcome to Aggieville East.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:35 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:56 pm The Westport Saloon has been a number of things in the past 25yrs or some from Torre's Pizza, to a few other failed attempts. It is sad that the live music venues went down. Like poster said more about the pandemic than anything else. Hopefully they will come back as the Riot Room(Hurricane before) as kind of a KC institution for great local music. Hope these places come back.

I get the impression that it's the eat/drink/shop places that are going by the wayside, with them all being replaced by Johnny Kaw spinoffs.

Welcome to Aggieville East.
Exactly. The Kaw's owner is a cancer on Westport. He lacks any creativity and keeps buying up places and opening tacky, cheap bars made to cater to the college crowd. It feels like the over 30 crowd is not welcome in most of the Westport bars these days.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Agreed the Johnny KAW effect has been a mixed bag of success for sure. However I think there is enough of the other dining/bar places to keep him in check. As more residential places open and there are people living in the area more and more they will be less tolerant on knuckleheads causing problems where they live and play. And with the change in clientele and neighborhood it may change them to re-work their concepts to cater to the people. Especially with the out of town brands coming into the area.

Lose the dance bar centric places and I'm guessing the problems get less & less frequent.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The Johnny Kaw effect would wor better if UMKC was a residential college. Maybe it makes sense in 10-20 years with how UMKC wants things to go.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Not seeing any scenario where Kaw places are a good fit for Westport.