Market Station apartments, formerly KC Southern Railyard

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: River Market - KC Southern Railyard Apartments

Post by trailerkid »

this apartment has a facebook fan page...lots of photos posted of construction.  
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kansas-Ci ... 4877491108#

very decent looking project for the river market. i'm not a fan of the architecture and design generally, but it will add some new new blood to the river market. they need to drop about 5-6 more of these projects in this neighborhood.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

It looks so much better than I thought it would.  They did a reasonably good job matching the River Market brick and the metal overhangs
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Very impressed with the photos!  This place is a step above other rental properties downtown I've seen.  (outside of 909 Walnut)
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

This is an awesome project for DT. 

Looking through the photos and floorplans, I was impressed with the units.  Were those real hardwoods? 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Midtownkid wrote: Very impressed with the photos!  This place is a step above other rental properties downtown I've seen.  (outside of 909 Walnut)
That's what I was thinking exactly. My thoughts are this property will be the place for a young professional to rent downtown. 
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Now Leasing sign has been posted on the building.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Market Station Apartments, formerly KC Southern Railyard

Post by dangerboy »

[quote="KCMax"]
Developer would like to build as many as 325 luxury apartments on site overlooking Missouri River.

A  Houston company wants to build a luxury apartment development on a prime, eight-acre River Market site overlooking the Missouri River that was formerly used as a rail yard.

The Morgan Group is planning a 300- to 325-unit “A-plusâ€
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Market Station apartments, formerly KC Southern Railyard

Post by DaveKCMO »

are you saying they built what they said they would build (and on time)????
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

oops, was just trying to update the title of the thread.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Well, you inadvertently made a poignant post. This is the first time in my memory that something development-wise happened like the paper said it would.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

What about the Bernstein project on the Plaza??

&&&
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

NDTeve wrote: What about the Bernstein project on the Plaza??

&&&
Yes, that new advertising museum has exceeded expectations, particularly with those open-air patio elements they incorporated. A nice design change.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

staubio wrote: Yes, that new advertising museum has exceeded expectations, particularly with those open-air patio elements they incorporated. A nice design change.
The patio really takes advantage of the view of the lovely forest garden that they planted where the street used to be. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The patio really takes advantage of the view of the lovely forest garden that they planted where the street used to be. 
i thought that was a bio-swail?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NDTeve wrote: What about the Bernstein project on the Plaza??

&&&
I can see that project from the 14 story hotel tower at the East Gateway Mission Center. Its lovely!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i helped a friend move in to the Market Station apartments this weekend.  she says they are currently at 6% occupancy.  there is still quite a bit of work to be done in the place, and crews are working hard.  while i was there, the cheery leasing agents were showing apartments to a few people.  

my friend's apartment is pretty nice, though small.  the bedroom, bathroom, and closet are decent-sized, but the actual living space, an open kitchen/living room space, is really small.  like, if you're sitting on the couch positioned along the wall opposite the kitchen island, youre only about four feet away from the island.  so it's like hanging out in a kitchen.  not bad though.  she has a small balcony as well, which affords a cool view of the river, broadway bridge, and train tracks.  bonus:  a train came screeching by at "blues brothers"-esque sound levels.  
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

chrizow wrote: bonus:  a train came screeching by at "blues brothers"-esque sound levels.  
As the population of these areas grows every year, this is only going to become a bigger issue. There is a ton of research that a train whistle is more likely to be louder in your friend's living room than in the cab of a car waiting at a crossing, which calls the whole logic of whistle use into question.

Areas with at-grade crossings have been successful in getting rid of whistle uses. The area around the River Market doesn't have any crossings. Perhaps someone could chime in as to why there needs to be whistles in this area.

Granted, we know what we're signing up for when we live in these neighborhoods, but it seems like this is a simple change that could make the neighborhood more appealing.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: i helped a friend move in to the Market Station apartments this weekend.  she says they are currently at 6% occupancy.  there is still quite a bit of work to be done in the place, and crews are working hard.  while i was there, the cheery leasing agents were showing apartments to a few people.  

my friend's apartment is pretty nice, though small.  the bedroom, bathroom, and closet are decent-sized, but the actual living space, an open kitchen/living room space, is really small.  like, if you're sitting on the couch positioned along the wall opposite the kitchen island, youre only about four feet away from the island.  so it's like hanging out in a kitchen.  not bad though.  she has a small balcony as well, which affords a cool view of the river, broadway bridge, and train tracks.  bonus:  a train came screeching by at "blues brothers"-esque sound levels.  
hmm...the small factor is kinda a tough sell considering the thousands of vintage apartments scattered throughout the core leasing at half the price. RM seems like more of a place for someone that demands new construction and/or is straight outta op. nothing wrong with that.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

staubio wrote: Areas with at-grade crossings have been successful in getting rid of whistle uses. The area around the River Market doesn't have any crossings. Perhaps someone could chime in as to why there needs to be whistles in this area.
it wasn't a train whistle.  the train was just making this really loud screeching sound as it rounded the bend there.  it wasn't too loud when the windows were shut though.  
trailerkid wrote: hmm...the small factor is kinda a tough sell considering the thousands of vintage apartments scattered throughout the core leasing at half the price.
that's kind of what i thought.  i sent her probably 150 listings for cool, older (some rehabbed) apartments all over the city that were $350-600 and much larger.  the fact that she works a couple of blocks away was the clincher, and proximity to things like city market were a plus.  
trailerkid wrote: RM seems like more of a place for someone that demands new construction and/or is straight outta op.
:lol:
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

chrizow wrote: it wasn't a train whistle.  the train was just making this really loud screeching sound as it rounded the bend there.  it wasn't too loud when the windows were shut though.  

:lol:

I live next to Market Station.  It's weird that the trains are louder when they are moving slowly.  They also on occasion make a loud but brief rumble when coming to a complete stop as all the cars briefly slam together.  But after a little while you get used to it and you don't notice it as much.  And when you do notice it, it starts to actually become a peaceful sound.