Manhattan Condos 700 West 8th

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Manhattan Condos 700 West 8th

Post by moderne »

No, metal window panels.  They were already stopped a few weeks ago for  improper asbestos removal.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

zonk wrote: were they removing asbestos???
moderne wrote:   No, metal window panels.  They were already stopped a few weeks ago for  improper asbestos removal.

&&&&&
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

they have a website up and running.. anybody know the link?

I believe that they are having a grand opening party on the 28th I believe... I will research and alert.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

www.themanhattankc.com

Saturday, October 28th, 6pm to Midnight.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

"limosine service" as an amenity? that's just silly.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DaveKCMO wrote: "limosine service" as an amenity? that's just silly.
Whatever it takes to get people to buy condos in a college dorm ;).
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

They have painted the roof parapet black, to match Metropolitan.  They are now making terraces out of the 14th floor setback ledges by adding railings.  Might make those penthouse prices more worth it.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

DaveKCMO wrote: "limosine service" as an amenity? that's just silly.
a bit, but they are advertising on Mix 93, and going after the yuppie joco/northland clan... genius if you ask me, besides, how could you go wrong with a limo?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

What they are doing to the penthouse is going to blow away the Metropolitan.  In the Metropolitan they kept dated, shabby aluminum framed windows that had metal panels instead of glass in the top and bottom.  At the Manhattan they have been replacing them with black framed  floor to ceiling 12 foot  smoked glass. Makes it look like a tenement atop Metro.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

After seeing these units at the Saturday party, the have renamed this building appropriately.  Units look like something from NY.  Teeny, tiny.  Little efficiency kitchenettes, bedrooms that if you put a Queen size in it you would have wall to wall mattress.  You can get a studio on a lower floor on the east side for $80 grand.  A troubling thing is that they kept the old 35 year old elevators.  When tenants do have to replace those, that will be a huge expense.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote: A troubling thing is that they kept the old 35 year old elevators.  When tenants do have to replace those, that will be a huge expense.
you can modernize an elevator without replacing the car itself since elevators are quite reliable. the metropolitan didn't replace any of theirs, but they did modernize them. did they specify that none of the components would be replaced, or is that based solely on appearance?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

DaveKCMO wrote: you can modernize an elevator without replacing the car itself since elevators are quite reliable. the metropolitan didn't replace any of theirs, but they did modernize them. did they specify that none of the components would be replaced, or is that based solely on appearance?
I'm pretty sure Riverbend still uses very old elevator motors on the roof -- probably the original ones installed.  The cars are modern, obviously.  Elevators aren't as big of a deal as most people think.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Worked in the Riverbend building when it was still the Volker.  Those elevators are new.  When the bldg. was warehouse, the lifts were maintenance-monster freight cars of about 7 foot by 18 foot.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

loftguy wrote: Worked in the Riverbend building when it was still the Volker.  Those elevators are new.  When the bldg. was warehouse, the lifts were maintenance-monster freight cars of about 7 foot by 18 foot.
New including the infrastructure up top?  I've been up there and they look like very old electric motors.  The cars are obviously new but judging by the looks of those motors and the speed of the elevators, there is some old stuff afoot.  Interesting.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Staubio, are those motors on the roof operating?  There are a number of rehab buildings that left the elevator equipment on the roof as the cost and effort to take them off was extreme.

Many things are possible, but the difference in systems and controls, between the new and the old, makes it difficult for me to imagine a retrofit being feasible, or desired.  I'll have to get out the grappling hooks and take a look.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

loftguy wrote: Staubio, are those motors on the roof operating?  There are a number of rehab buildings that left the elevator equipment on the roof as the cost and effort to take them off was extreme.

Many things are possible, but the difference in systems and controls, between the new and the old, makes it difficult for me to imagine a retrofit being feasible, or desired.  I'll have to get out the grappling hooks and take a look.
Good question.  I assumed they were just because the motors are so loud and it doesn't look like there is room for any modern replacements up there.  Oh well, who knows.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

moderne wrote:   A troubling thing is that they kept the old 35 year old elevators.  When tenants do have to replace those, that will be a huge expense.
My friend was there Sat. night, and they said that the elevators are going to be replaced.  the Met kept the original one's but he said that the Manhattan will have new elevators in the next few months.. just fyi.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Tracking KC's Condo Craze

Abbott said the delay in getting started probably benefited his project.

“Things have moved forward downtown, which only helps,â€
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

One of these, some reporter on TV or radio is going to have a Freudian slip and refer to the Vista Del Rio as the Vanessa Del Rio.
drgath
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drgath »

I'm a first time buyer and I grabbed one of the units on the 15th floor to move into next month.  Yeah, some of the studios are small, but hey... it's a studio, what do you expect?  The two bedroom units are plenty big though, mine is going to be about 1,000 sq. feet.  The penthouse pool/lounge/bar is really going to be awesome so I'm pretty sure I'm never going to leave the building, hah.

This was pretty cool.... so my dad had to go to the airport, and since my parents are looking at buying one of the units to rent out, Matt sent the limo out to take my dad.  Hey, with the cost of a airport limo ride compared to buying a condo it totally makes business sense to do it, but it was just really nice of the guy too.  It's not a small limo either, this thing is huge!

About the elevators... I was told they will be replaced, they are just waiting until construction is a bit further along.