OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:09 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:01 pm I have relatives that live on Ghillam Road and they say hardly anybody uses the new cycle path there. I really hope that's not true or people just don't know about it. If nobody or very few people are using that really nice and long cycle path, then maybe there really is just no demand for such infrastructure in KC and that is why the city struggles so much building such infrastructure.
I see use every time I drive it. 2-3 times a week. It's still hot as balls. Most people don't know about it yet. The southern end is a closed off construction site.
Hopefully the main thing is that people just don' know about it yet. Weather really should not impact it much. It just should be very busy in really nice days, but most people that ride would still ride regardless.

I also hope the city maintains it well. Dedicated cycle tracks on the same plane as the lanes will quickly accumulate debris and glass and stuff from the driving lanes making the cycletrack unusable if it's not properly maintained. KCMO doesn't have a great history of maintaining things like this. The Grand Bike lanes were almost gone last summer when I was in KC. Actually all the pavement markings, crosswalks etc were barely visible along grand. Sorry, I notice stuff like that. Not being hard on KC or anything, but the city doesn't maintain that kind of stuff well at all.

Is it a parks and rec maintained path? I look forward to riding it next time I'm in town when it's fully open and people are using it.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

GRID wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:03 pm The Grand Bike lanes were almost gone last summer when I was in KC.
I turned into the bike lane last week despite knowing it was there. The green paint is much more visible still and in some places it’s all that is left.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Womens Soccer going to Riverside. Kills that theory. I wonder if this sports training center still happens or if it dies now. Not sure who the tenant would be otherwise.

I do like the idea of a soccer or futsal field at the River.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:03 pm Womens Soccer going to Riverside. Kills that theory. I wonder if this sports training center still happens or if it dies now. Not sure who the tenant would be otherwise.

Right? I wonder what that was about.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ility.html
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

gives them a big area to build out facilities and they would have easier access to the stadium where they play games. I wonder if there is a plan to build a Stadium in that area? There is land there in the surrounding area that is usable. I assume like a 7500-10k venue would fit. Maybe that is too big, I do not know what the attendance is for this women's soccer league. But I do know women's soccer is wildly popular,
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:05 pm gives them a big area to build out facilities and they would have easier access to the stadium where they play games. I wonder if there is a plan to build a Stadium in that area? There is land there in the surrounding area that is usable. I assume like a 7500-10k venue would fit. Maybe that is too big, I do not know what the attendance is for this women's soccer league. But I do know women's soccer is wildly popular,
Honestly I think they’d do better attracting people on the riverfront (not sure how I feel about it there though), downtown or NKC so it will connect with the streetcar in the future. I think a small stadium close to the breweries would work well in NKC and help drive more development
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I get it, would have been a neat venue for sure to have stadium and such in the Riverfront. I'm like you, not sure of the overall fit with everything else they would have around there and or if it is the best use of the land for that area. Where they are looking to build is a decent spot where they can do what they need. I think a stadium there, if feasible would do well. Plus the demographics of women soccer fans tend to be more suburban, especially with the amount of school aged girls who play club and soccer for HS , etc. If they built something out there they would be building it within their base for sure
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:19 pm I get it, would have been a neat venue for sure to have stadium and such in the Riverfront. I'm like you, not sure of the overall fit with everything else they would have around there and or if it is the best use of the land for that area. Where they are looking to build is a decent spot where they can do what they need. I think a stadium there, if feasible would do well. Plus the demographics of women soccer fans tend to be more suburban, especially with the amount of school aged girls who play club and soccer for HS , etc. If they built something out there they would be building it within their base for sure
I think NKC downtown would be better as it’s not so out of the way.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

True, could work there as well. Would need to tear down some stuff but not a big deal to build
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

What about Harlem, that could be a cool spot.
Or Burlington and tenth
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

CityScene reports that this kills the riverfront soccer training proposal that had been in the works.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:24 pm True, could work there as well. Would need to tear down some stuff but not a big deal to build
I don't think you'd have to tear anything down in NKC for one. Isn't this site large enough?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1425682 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

FangKC wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:03 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:24 pm True, could work there as well. Would need to tear down some stuff but not a big deal to build
I don't think you'd have to tear anything down in NKC for one. Isn't this site large enough?

Wow that site is huge! That would be perfect
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:03 pm Womens Soccer going to Riverside. Kills that theory. I wonder if this sports training center still happens or if it dies now. Not sure who the tenant would be otherwise.

Makes sense for a soccer field to be at a park, especially one that will be developed overtime. And soccer fields can be used for other sports beyond soccer, so might as well build one as a park amenity.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

FangKC wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:03 pm

I'm sure from a square footage standpoint it could work or be very close. Accessing the area may require some work, including working with tenants that surround the parcel. Used to be grain elevators and such over there so I'm sure there is some path to get there but I'm not sure looking at what surrounds it
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

There is a large development in the works just north of where this soccer practice facility would have gone.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kevin Collison is reporting a new project on parcel 12B.

$55 million project
250 apartments
Affordable units being worked out
Incentives sought
7-8 stories
275 parking spaces in garage

This project is indicated in maroon.

St. Louis Developer Pursuing $55M Riverfront Apartment Plan
A mid-rise apartment project is being pursued for the downtown riverfront by Lux Living, the St. Louis developer that’s also doing big residential projects in the Crossroads and Midtown areas.

Vic Alston of Lux Living said his firm is negotiating with Port KC to build an approximately 250-unit, seven- to eight-story project on a site controlled by the agency near Bar K and the CORE apartment project being built by Northpoint Development.
Alston said the preliminary plan calls for about 40 percent of the units to be studios, 40 percent one-bedroom and 20 percent, two-bedroom. Parking for about 275 vehicles would be underneath the apartments.
An architectural rendering of the proposed riverfront project was not available. Alston said it would be mostly brick with metal and glass, “similar to what we’re doing in the Crossroads.
Lux Living would like to begin construction on its development in mid-2022 with completion in about 18 months.
https://cityscenekc.com/st-louis-develo ... Ijg6tWAKRQ
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Ugh. 275 parking spaces for 250 units?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:44 pm Ugh. 275 parking spaces for 250 units?
300 beds, 275 parking spaces. Article doesn’t mention retail but good location for it
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Event parking at the riverfront. BarK needs like 75 spots by itself.

It will all get used