OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:03 pm I guess it makes sense with the rebranding to get the name out downtown since they're moving here.

Maybe both, announce a long term study/partnership. They made a big deal about having no new parking.
Design of SC to Isle of Capri was already announced. Just need to announce they are going to build it
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:14 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:03 pm I guess it makes sense with the rebranding to get the name out downtown since they're moving here.

Maybe both, announce a long term study/partnership. They made a big deal about having no new parking.
Design of SC to Isle of Capri was already announced. Just need to announce they are going to build it
And fund it, yeah? I guess no study needed, and the operating costs are quite low.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Video presentation on the new stadium.~30 minutes.

• All unannounced projects are 10+ floors
  • narrowing Berkley parkway
  • bike/ped facility and streetcar are coming, streetcar to bring fans to the stadium
  • Desire to raise the national profile of women's athletics and KC sports
  • Discussion with Core of Engineers on Hydro power, this stretch of river considered to be one of the best in MO. Lack of commercial tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcURz5lGeNA&t=1184s
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Progress on the Core apartment complex.
bones.25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bones.25 »

As someone who goes by this area almost daily it's great seeing it come to life after years of neglect. The thing they need more than anything is that bike/pedestrian flyover. As they get more people living down there you've got more people walking up and down the viaduct that connects it to RM and it's not a good situation right now, it's actually pretty scary how close walkers have to be to oncoming traffic. But it's exciting to see the changes and with the soccer stadium and everything else going on this will be fun one to watch.

Couldn't help but notice from that drone shot that the drifting problem keeps spreading. Funny how I don't notice that at streetlevel.

Great pictures by the way, thanks!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

4 story suburban apartment complexes are not what I was expecting from this development. Better than it was but seems like a missed opportunity.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:04 am 4 story suburban apartment complexes are not what I was expecting from this development. Better than it was but seems like a missed opportunity.
They’re trying to make half the riverfront this bad too with the suburban style. It looks awful but idk how to stop it.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

It looks fine, and honestly the only residential towers that have gone up in recent years are in P&L, amongst the other taller buildings and the Reverb place and maybe one other I can't think of the name in the cross roads. I know each of those rise up above the surrounding building. It will be nicer to see some others pop up over time.

However for what they are doing at the river front seems fine. Still can add taller structures over time. But I'm sure there is a cost factor to build things you can afford and what leases. At least things have a little different feel building to building. It could be like the West end of RM where all the buildings look the same, just the signage out front tells them apart. I for one think they are going to a continuing aesthetic of the RM to connect the whole area as one big "River Market/River Front area". I know there are a few proposed "towers" to go a little vertical in RM but overall I think it will all work well. Plus it will not longer be the vast dark void around the river. They will have lights, buildings, and activity. It should work out nicely and hopefully creep up the hill into the old eastern RM neighborhoods that was once a heavy Italian area. Most single family homes and older apartments until you hit the newer stuff by The Caddy Shack. Would be nice to see this whole area become a very nice neighborhood. Excited for it and the lower of highway that currently cuts it in 2
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Technically, this area is part of Columbus Park.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:40 pm Image

Which parcel is this going on?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:48 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:40 pm Image

Which parcel is this going on?
just south of the Grand street bridge. Just north of CORE
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Nice. I didn't think anything else substantial would go in that lot, so this is will really help densify the western end of the riverfront. Gives me some hope for the rest of the area.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Nice. And connected to a streetcar route?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

The massing of this area is going to be a good front door of sorts for the riverfront. This’ll make feel a lot less like leawood and more so the actually urban fabric of a downtown
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:00 pm Nice. And connected to a streetcar route?
The streetcar is in the first photo.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:58 pm The massing of this area is going to be a good front door of sorts for the riverfront. This’ll make feel a lot less like leawood and more so the actually urban fabric of a downtown
^Not so sure the area is in the territory of 'urban fabric' as botched up as the whole riverfront master plan has been but this building makes the most of it.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

earthling wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:02 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:58 pm The massing of this area is going to be a good front door of sorts for the riverfront. This’ll make feel a lot less like leawood and more so the actually urban fabric of a downtown
^Not so sure the area is in the territory of 'urban fabric' as botched up as the whole riverfront master plan has been but this building makes the most of it.
Well yes, obviously not the grid system by any means, but doesn’t feel near as isolated and low rise as suburban developments is what I was meaning
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Is that the LuxLiving project presumably? Posted earlier in this thread. Parcel 12B. I guess once the Katz deal was closed they let this Katz out of the bag.

FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:55 am Kevin Collison is reporting a new project on parcel 12B.

$55 million project
250 apartments
Affordable units being worked out
Incentives sought
7-8 stories
275 parking spaces in garage

This project is indicated in maroon.

St. Louis Developer Pursuing $55M Riverfront Apartment Plan
A mid-rise apartment project is being pursued for the downtown riverfront by Lux Living, the St. Louis developer that’s also doing big residential projects in the Crossroads and Midtown areas.

Vic Alston of Lux Living said his firm is negotiating with Port KC to build an approximately 250-unit, seven- to eight-story project on a site controlled by the agency near Bar K and the CORE apartment project being built by Northpoint Development.
Alston said the preliminary plan calls for about 40 percent of the units to be studios, 40 percent one-bedroom and 20 percent, two-bedroom. Parking for about 275 vehicles would be underneath the apartments.
An architectural rendering of the proposed riverfront project was not available. Alston said it would be mostly brick with metal and glass, “similar to what we’re doing in the Crossroads.
Lux Living would like to begin construction on its development in mid-2022 with completion in about 18 months.
https://cityscenekc.com/st-louis-develo ... Ijg6tWAKRQ

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:39 pm Is that the LuxLiving project presumably? Posted earlier in this thread. Parcel 12B. I guess once the Katz deal was closed they let this Katz out of the bag.

FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:55 am Kevin Collison is reporting a new project on parcel 12B.

$55 million project
250 apartments
Affordable units being worked out
Incentives sought
7-8 stories
275 parking spaces in garage

Lux Living would like to begin construction on its development in mid-2022 with completion in about 18 months.

Yeah KCBJ mentions it in this article about Katz
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -sale.html
Lux Living's other Kansas City multifamily efforts include an in-the-works redevelopment of a former Faultless Healthcare Linen site at 1923-1945 Broadway Blvd., and a mixed-use development in early planning at the Berkley Riverfront's Parcel 12B.