OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I imagine not much of a chance this will have any ground floor retail eh?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I aplaude the fact that they are building afordable housing. And I supose you have to keep the design modest to keep the budget down. But it does look like a new Tru or Springhill Suites. What do they call that, Cartoon Modern?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:32 am I imagine not much of a chance this will have any ground floor retail eh?
The training facilities are the groundfloor. I would imagine that a dog groomer will do extremely well there.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

normalthings wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:02 am The training facilities are the groundfloor. I would imagine that a dog groomer will do extremely well there.
Dog rumor.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:14 pm Rendering of the EPEC affordable housing project in this CityScene article.

Rents: "Plans call for eight, one-bedroom units, $295-$895 per month; 33 two-bed, $305-$1,058, and four, three-bed, $333-$1,430."

https://cityscenekc.com/affordable-apar ... o-berkley/

2 & 3 bedroom apartment for under $350 a month potentially? I hope they have a very strong property management group and will ensure those go to good families. That is a broad mix of rents for this project. I'm happy to see it, but with that much swing in whom you are appealing to from a leasing standpoint will require strong management to handle both ends of the spectrum.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:11 pm McBauhaus
this website needs a like button
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Bela Lugosi's Dead
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I know there is some movement on redevelopment of the Rock Island bridge in the West Bottoms, but could the same thing be done with the ASB bridge? Is it still used?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:02 pm I know there is some movement on redevelopment of the Rock Island bridge in the West Bottoms, but could the same thing be done with the ASB bridge? Is it still used?
No chance. It is very active.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:02 pm I know there is some movement on redevelopment of the Rock Island bridge in the West Bottoms, but could the same thing be done with the ASB bridge? Is it still used?
The upper level, which once carried road traffic and the interurban, is totally unused. That’s where Rabble wants to see the streetcar ran (very fun idea I think) but it sounds like the railway is pretty uncooperative on anyone touching their infrastructure. I’d love to see some New York “High Line” style walkways on the sides, where the roads were, and then the streetcar running down the center among the steel latticework!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:07 pm No chance. It is very active.
Ok, thanks. I figured any bridge not in use would be discussed for streetcar. I assume the black one next to Broadway bridge is also used?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:13 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:07 pm No chance. It is very active.
Ok, thanks. I figured any bridge not in use would be discussed for streetcar. I assume the black one next to Broadway bridge is also used?
Yes. I believe these bridges are of great strategic importance to the US logistics network. Critically important infrastructure that can’t really be messed with.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:21 pm
The upper level, which once carried road traffic and the interurban, is totally unused. That’s where Rabble wants to see the streetcar ran (very fun idea I think) but it sounds like the railway is pretty uncooperative on anyone touching their infrastructure. I’d love to see some New York “High Line” style walkways on the sides, where the roads were, and then the streetcar running down the center among the steel latticework!
A highline style park just on the bridge that doesn't need 0.75 miles of north approach seems doable without adding the streetcar. the model of spiral stairs + elevator that connects down to the riverfront. there's already the path under the bridge, so just build it somewhere near there

a "temporary" pedestrian level that's not legally protected and the railroad can impact with maintenance work maybe could get approved

that said, my ideal would be a brand new train + ped bridge that has/can have a connection directly to the riverfront on both ends to enable using the bridge for levy biking.

If we build a new bridge right it could be aligned to someday bring streetcar on Burlington and a commuter line on freight tracks over the river on the same bridge.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Was on a call Friday where this project was discussed. I found the description of the beer garden, bar/restaurant and live music facility upsetting. Especially when it was said the music venue would be an outdoor covered “plaza” with capacity up to 5000. So basically, a smaller “live” block in the power and light district.

Seems like a massive waste of city money to create a competitive space a few miles down the road. This is a small market and we don’t need to similar city backed projects fighting each other for revenue.

I certainly think a beer garden and some kind of outdoor stage or pavilion would be great for the area but them attempting to create a 5000 cap venue with national acts makes me nervous.

What downtown KC really needs is a 14-16k outdoor music venue to finally put the stamp on Sandstone. The riverfront would be perfect for this and doesn’t compete with any other downtown music venues.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:44 pm Was on a call Friday where this project was discussed. I found the description of the beer garden, bar/restaurant and live music facility upsetting. Especially when it was said the music venue would be an outdoor covered “plaza” with capacity up to 5000. So basically, a smaller “live” block in the power and light district.

Seems like a massive waste of city money to create a competitive space a few miles down the road. This is a small market and we don’t need to similar city backed projects fighting each other for revenue.

I certainly think a beer garden and some kind of outdoor stage or pavilion would be great for the area but them attempting to create a 5000 cap venue with national acts makes me nervous.

What downtown KC really needs is a 14-16k outdoor music venue to finally put the stamp on Sandstone. The riverfront would be perfect for this and doesn’t compete with any other downtown music venues.
I am not sure where they could fit a performance space for that many + parking and develop the rest of the rivefront.

Why not suggest that then? Haven't they tried reaching out to Cordish before?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I’m going to reach out and express my concerns and I’m sure Cordish will be placing some calls as well. I agree the space for a large amphitheater is challenging, especially when you factor in the parking needs. Just a wish of mine.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:42 pm I’m going to reach out and express my concerns and I’m sure Cordish will be placing some calls as well. I agree the space for a large amphitheater is challenging, especially when you factor in the parking needs. Just a wish of mine.
CMH Crossroads Parking Lot ampitheatre?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:44 pm Was on a call Friday where this project was discussed. I found the description of the beer garden, bar/restaurant and live music facility upsetting. Especially when it was said the music venue would be an outdoor covered “plaza” with capacity up to 5000. So basically, a smaller “live” block in the power and light district.

If Berkley, of all places, is a threat to the p&l, then p&l must be on the verge of total collapse
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A beer garden type space seems new and unique but yeah I don't think we need the same capacity covered space although theybwould be totally different crowds. Iwnould prefer a bigger space to rival sandstone as suggested but I'm sure the apartments down there would hate it just like river market used to hate city market concerts.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I’d rather see a large place like sandstone go in south of 18th and vine to help tie in the area if you put it down near 22nd shouldnt be so close to the residential that it is annoying