St. Louis company to renovate three buildings into lofts

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

St. Louis company to renovate three buildings into lofts

Post by WoodDraw »

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 126925.htm
The company is partnering with Michael Rainen to renovate two landmark warehouses in the Freight House District into housing, the 220,000-square-foot H.D. Lee Building at 20th and Wyandotte streets and a 165,000-square-foot building at 2117 Broadway. The two projects would add more than 240 lofts to the area.

The firm also plans to renovate the historic Argyle Building at 306 E. 12th St. into 100 market-rate apartments. Two restaurants are planned for the first floor of the 100-year-old building.
The article also says that they are looking at other properties now.  The ground level restaurants are good news and it sounds like they have a good reputation in St. Louis.  Any of our St. Louis members have comments on this company's work? 
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: St. Louis company to renovate three buildings into lofts

Post by ComandanteCero »

if these McGowans are the same McGowans who have been working on Wash Av, then i think these buildings will be in very good hands.  They've done a lot of great work in St. Louis in terms of rehabbing great old buildings into nice lofts.

edit: ok, read the article, they are.  Sounds good!  Some really interesting quotes in this article (looks like we could have a separate thread for each project):

[quote]“In the next three years, McGowan & Walsh will probably build close to 2,000 units in downtown Kansas City alone,â€
Last edited by ComandanteCero on Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

whoa, awesome! 
JivecitySTL
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by JivecitySTL »

The McGowans are great.  There are like 5 brothers in the McGowan Bros. Development Group.  They moved to St. Louis from rural Texas (I think it was Texas) in the late '80s and have been aggressively buying up buildings downtown ever since.  They are genuine, progressive and they think outside the box.  KC is lucky to have their investment.
You can't spell STYLE without STL.
www.stl-style.com
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I hope they start on the Argyle Building soon.  They've already owned it for three years without doing a damn thing. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... ily13.html
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

If they are truely seeking 2M sq. feet of space, that will obviously help keep the downtown pace going for a while (a Sasaki priority).  There may not be much downtown office/warehouse space left at the rate conversions are going.  The Chicago-based Western Auto developers are considering a larger portfolio as well.

Is this the same McGowan doing other KC projects such as the conversion of the Plaza Park Lane apts to a boutique hotel?  I don't recall the Walsh name being associated to it.

It's also good to see that we also now have developers doing new residential construction - George Birt, Cordish.  Need another major player or two for new tower construction and the continuing downtown momentum will be set.  Crown Center Properties have talked about another residential hirise project earlier this year but we haven't heard a peep since.  I'd love to see KC's new tallest be a mixed-use residential/office/hotel hi-rise, slightly taller than KC One Place.  The momentum is clearly there to pull it off.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

ignatius wrote:Is this the same McGowan doing other KC projects such as the conversion of the Plaza Park Lane apts to a boutique hotel?  I don't recall the Walsh name being associated to it.
Are you thinking of McCown, not McGowan?

http://mccowngordon.com

http://www.mcgowanwalsh.com
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

dangerboy wrote: Are you thinking of McCown, not McGowan?
Ah.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

this really is exciting news.  their projects in St. Louis are top-notch, and these buildings were just screaming for residential conversion.  a couple more restaurants added to the downtown scene doesn't hurt either. 

now, let's start filling in the gaps between Xroads and East Xroads.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

If these are the two freighthouse buildings I am thinking of, they are two of the biggest down there.  That should definitiely add some people to the streets.  Any word in their on their timetable?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

^The article says the three biggest buildings are those two and Stuart Lofts.  The article states that the HD Lee building construction would begin next sping.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

The Lee building at 20th and Wyandotte has been in the planning for lofts since at least 2002, if not earlier. Since they announced loft plans, the Stuart Hall building was converted, 1819 Baltimore was completed, the Hotel Monroe has started, and the Western Auto Building conversion began, and is now occupied, and the W lofts started and are nearing completion.  Its too bad it has taken someone from out of town to do this; at the same time, I'll belive it when I see the construction begin.  its damn frustrating to see Rainen talk about the conversion and then do nothing to get it started. Last year a big section of windows on one of the upper floorrs on the south side of the building fell in, letting all kinds of water inside. What do you want to bet that they'll ask for city financial assistance because the building has deteriorated?  

Sorry if I sound so negative about this building in particular, but I lived next to it for 3 years and listened to talk about the big plans, and nothing ever happened. And what parking they did have is now leased to Manny's.  
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
scartva
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by scartva »

I certainly hope all of this development actually occurs.  Since these building are right next to my loft, it will be nice to have all the new neighbors and restaurants!!  I wonder if this development will include anything with the old PCB building location.  It would be great if the turn it into much needed park space.  However, I bet they will just build a parking garage…… 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

^I thought a garage was always planned for the PCB building spot.  Hopefully it will be surrounded by streetfront retail as all garages should be, especially if getting tax breaks.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I would be willing to bet that they may be one of the partys bidding on the PCB site.  It sounds like they are definitely going to have to build a garage somewhere and unless Mannys is willing to part with one of their umpteen surface lots I don't know where else they are going to put it.  It sounds like pressure is mounting for a garage there.  I know when we first looked at Stuart Hall they indicated that the tennants were all clamoring for covered parking and I would think the same would be true of Safeway as it goes condo.  
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

tat2kc wrote:
Sorry if I sound so negative about this building in particular, but I lived next to it for 3 years and listened to talk about the big plans, and nothing ever happened. And what parking they did have is now leased to Manny's.  
i understand your skepticism, but i have faith in this company.  they have the capital and know-how to get it done.  i really don't think they would try to break into the booming KC market with two LARGE projects if they didn't have the capacity to pull it off.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

not to get too far off topic, but is there a reason why the large surface lots west of the Freighthouse and south of many of these buildings doesn't get turned into a large parking garage?  It seems like it would be pefectly located and suited to meet just about everyone's parking needs.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ComandanteCero wrote: not to get too far off topic, but is there a reason why the large surface lots west of the Freighthouse and south of many of these buildings doesn't get turned into a large parking garage?  It seems like it would be pefectly located and suited to meet just about everyone's parking needs.
i like that idea.  i'd like to see a megalithic, 15-level underground/surface garage that has enough parking for everyone in the urban core without their own condo-specific space.  it could be in its own little corner of the loop area, and the foot traffic generated by that garage alone could probably sustain some businesses nearby.  that would be a lot better than a few small lots or garages.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

ComandanteCero wrote: not to get too far off topic, but is there a reason why the large surface lots west of the Freighthouse and south of many of these buildings doesn't get turned into a large parking garage?  It seems like it would be pefectly located and suited to meet just about everyone's parking needs.
I can think of at lest a couple of obstacles (not because I necessarily think it is a horrible idea): 1) I believe that the surface lot in question is owned by a parking lot company with no direct connection to any of the lofts nearby; and 2) I would imagine that all of the folks that are moving into the South facing sides of freighthouse flats and stuart hall might not be happy about having their high-$ views of Union Station and Liberty Memorial blocked by a parking garage. 
Last edited by LenexatoKCMO on Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

chrizow wrote: whoa, awesome! 
I'm with you on that one.  This sounds like really great news to me.  I know that some are still skeptical and normally I would be somewhat too because I'm a "wait and see" kind of guy.  However, if their activity in St. Louis is any indicator of their tendency to back up their mouths then I'd say you can take this one to the bank.