Grass at Liberty Memorial?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Grass at Liberty Memorial?

Post by KansasCityCraka »

What's up with the gardeners at liberty memorial all of their plants and grass is dead. it use to be such a wonderfully green place in DT.

MC86
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Grass at Liberty Memorial?

Post by MC86 »

We need rain. :(
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

alot of it....
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I still think that that greensapce should be a formal french (Louis XIV) type of garden. It would be the icing on the cake, and prevent future concerts on the lawn.

Then we build a proper ampitheater over in Penn Valley park and tear down Sandstone. 40 concerts a summer downtown would be nice.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

shinatoo wrote: I still think that that greensapce should be a formal french (Louis XIV) type of garden. It would be the icing on the cake, and prevent future concerts on the lawn.

Then we build a proper ampitheater over in Penn Valley park and tear down Sandstone. 40 concerts a summer downtown would be nice.
and having concerts there on a regular basis would also ensure that there is always a whole lot of "grass" around the memorial.  :lol:
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

shinatoo wrote: I still think that that greensapce should be a formal french (Louis XIV) type of garden. It would be the icing on the cake, and prevent future concerts on the lawn.

You nailed it.  It is the trampling from the concerts that kills the grass.  Unless you re-sod after every event, the grass is going to be trashed until next season once the heat sets in.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I am more of the opnion that a war memorial is not a place for a festival. A little respect for our fallen brothers and sisters would be nice.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

shinatoo wrote: I am more of the opnion that a war memorial is not a place for a festival. A little respect for our fallen brothers and sisters would be nice.
Agreed, especially when there is plenty of other park space to use, although you can't beat the vistas and atmosphere of the front lawn.  Still, I wouldn't throw a party in a cemetary no matter the view, so a memorial should be no different.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I could definitely see limiting use of the memorial area itself to festivals centered around veteran oriented events - i.e the Fourth of July and Memorial Day.  I don't think there is anything disrespectful about the memorial day concert where they have fireworks and play patriotic symphony music - this seems entirely in keeping with the spirit of the place.  I wouldn't have a problem with them setting up a stage area for other festivals/events  focused on a different side of the park.  I definitely think there could be a bit more respect balanced with making good use of the parks attractive location for events.  Staging a metal band festival right on the steps of the memorial does seem to be in slightly bad taste to me. 
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

shinatoo wrote: I am more of the opnion that a war memorial is not a place for a festival. A little respect for our fallen brothers and sisters would be nice.
I'd agree.  I was joking with the whole "grass" comment.  As a veteran of Desert Storm and Somalia you can believe I understand the significance of the memorial.
gootsku
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by gootsku »

Not to sound insensitive, but if I was the one being honored by the memorial I personally  would appreciate the concerts being held at the site.  I'd think that the sheer physical size of the memorial would undoubtedly impress upon the concert-goers the importance of the memorial.  Moreover, I'd think that the concert promoter/ band playing would have a duty to convey the significance of the memorial during the event.  I don't mean for this to be a method of side-stepping the fact that the fallen soldiers should be honored.  Rather, if I were the one being honored, I wouldn't require the event to be solemn, and/or accompanied by patriotic music.  I agree that people should visit the memorial and reflect upon the significance by their own free will.  But if a rock concert would attract persons to the memorial and those attending even thought a second about the signifiance of the memorial I would have to think a veteran would be happy.
CrossroadsKid
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CrossroadsKid »

I'd have to agree with goots on this, but I also think he should be studying for the bar exam instead of enlightening us to this inner most thoughts on memorialization, but that is just a side observation.  I do like the idea of an amphitheater on the grounds of Penn Valley park, be it a smaller scale version though for more "intimate" shows.
gootsku
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by gootsku »

CrossroadsKid is absolutely correct in the fact that I should be studying.  Therefore, I will make one more comment.  I thought the new Power and Light District is going to have an amphitheater.
KC_Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Fan »

I couldn't agree more.  We go for walks in this area several times per week and we were literally AMAZED what destruction occured after the Rock Fest concert hosted by 98.9 the rock awhile back.

This was totally unacceptable, there are still heaps of mud on the walking paths and the grass is trashed on the east lawn approaching the memorial from the parkway heading north.  It doesn't appear like they are planning on any repairs until next spring.  What a shame.

:(
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KC_Fan wrote: I couldn't agree more.  We go for walks in this area several times per week and we were literally AMAZED what destruction occured after the Rock Fest concert hosted by 98.9 the rock awhile back.

This was totally unacceptable, there are still heaps of mud on the walking paths and the grass is trashed on the east lawn approaching the memorial from the parkway heading north.  It doesn't appear like they are planning on any repairs until next spring.  What a shame.

:(
Yeah Rockfest was the thing that really got me ticked off. I was at spiritfest there one year and there was nothing at all solem about it. It was when the memorial was closed and we hadn't funded the repairs yet. It really gave me that Gotham downward spiral of society vibe.

By the way I'm a total pacifist.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Put me in the "bad taste" group. I hate that they have concerts at the Memorial - especially the "face down in a pile of your own sick" type of shows like Rockfest.

If you guys think a shirtless, stoned outta his mind Nickelback fan is taking 1 second outta the day during Rockfest to pontificate on the fallen heroes the Memorial stands for yer livin' in a fantasy world.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

DiggityDawg wrote: Put me in the "bad taste" group. I hate that they have concerts at the Memorial - especially the "face down in a pile of your own sick" type of shows like Rockfest.

If you guys think a shirtless, stoned outta his mind Nickelback fan is taking 1 second outta the day during Rockfest to pontificate on the fallen heroes the Memorial stands for yer livin' in a fantasy world.
I agree.  You don't see Washington DC having rock concerts next to the WW2/Korean/Vietnam memorials.  If we want the Liberty Memorial to be considered one of the premier War memorials we might want to follow our Capital's lead.  But that's just my opinion :D
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

DiggityDawg wrote: Put me in the "bad taste" group. I hate that they have concerts at the Memorial - especially the "face down in a pile of your own sick" type of shows like Rockfest.

I don't think a Nickelback fan would have the mental capacity to think about the memorial when sober.  Their taste in music proves their shortcomings in intelligence.  :)