Help-Downtown Rental

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
gootsku
Strip mall
Strip mall

Help-Downtown Rental

Post by gootsku »

Alright guys,

I have pulled perhaps the biggest coup in history.  I have convinced my future roommate (who will be working at 435 and Midland) to move downtown/ rivermarket area.  I first convinced him to move to the plaza and then reasoned that downtown is just as long a drive.
I have been lurking on this board for a long time and incredibly excited about the move.  I have been in lawrence for 7 years and am ready to get the hell out.  I am tired of feeling creepy drinking with the 18 year olds.

Now I need advice.  I have already tried backpage.com, www.rent.com, and the kcstar.  I even searched past posts and could not find any with relevance.  So I figured I would ask the experts.

I am looking for a place downtown, rivermarket or midtown.  We would like a pretty nice place to rent.  We both are professionals and have decided that if the amenities are there, we would be willing to cough up the dough. 

Offstreet, secured parking is a must.  Fitness center, etc. would be a bonus.  I am scheduled to check out:  909 Walnut, Clubouse lofts, Library Lofts, and the Metropolitan.  We almost scored a 2 bedroom at the Western Auto building but were mere days late.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and I am also working downtown (actually crown center).  I am looking  forward to kcskyscraper get happy hours.

Thanks in advance. 
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Help-Downtown Rental

Post by ComandanteCero »

i would also check http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ they usually have some pretty great stuff.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

I've got 3 units for rent at 21 Ten, floors 9, 14 and 15.  2 bedrooms, around 1600 sq. ft.  This is a for sale building, not a rental building.  Units are brand new, never been lived in.  Includes all 21 Ten amenities.  Price should be around $2000/month.

PM me if you're interested.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

lofts....what's the bylaws about renting out units there...% or what?

Reading your post, 909 walnut immediately came to mind....the amenities will all be there.  I'll always push for the west side of the loop and New Quality Hill....ton of floor plans and good prices, especially on 2 bedrooms.  Library lofts would be worth checking out....most everything in the crossroads is for sale....could try the Stuart Hall lofts...whatever they are called now
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
gootsku
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by gootsku »

I signed my lease today.  I move into the Stuart house lofts Aug. 1.  I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their suggestions.  Specifically, I'd like to thank KCLofts for taking the time out of his day to show me a potential loft and answer general questions regarding downtown KC.

I am now a certifiable expert in renting in the downtown/ rivermarket, midtown area.  I swear I looked everywhere.

Observations:

1) There really aren't a ton of places to rent downtown.

2) Expect to pay $1 per square foot in rent.  (Not bad when including amenities)

3) Most space located near downtown is owned by fewer than 3 companies.

4) Finding a nice 2 bedroom in the river market area is impossible.

5) A two bedroom apartment is currently not compatible with the idea of "loft living."  I don't mean loft living in the literal sense.  Rather I am refering to exposed brick walls, concrete floors, etc.  If you are looking for a legitimate 2 bedroom (both with enclosed walls) with these amenities be prepared to sacrifice.  I really think there is a definite market for this.  When I was at Stuart, the lady showing us around stated that she had requested 2 enclosed rooms from the developer.  She said that many people were turned off by the fact that the 2nd bedroom was exposed.  I know that this fact had caused some buddies to opt for 909 when they really wanted something stylistically different. 

6) There is a real market for more rentals in general.  It seems that everything is condo.  Rentals are somewhat scarce.  I understand that this situation will improve, but most places I visited were between 85%-100% full.  That figure seems to indicate a need for more housing.  Not everyone is prepared to purchase a condo.  This is particularly true for recent college grads.

7) Renting at the Clubhouse could prove to be a steal.  Currently, they are offering a deal where 50% of your rent would eventually be directed towards the purchase of your unit upon condo conversion.  I think that this is worth considering.  The place has an amazing location relative to the new power and light district.

8) There are tons of bars and restaurants all over the city.  I swear in 2 weeks of looking I would discover a new place every day.

9) This may be a little off-topic, but while I was down in the river market area I noticed that the entire riverfront is underdeveloped.  I know that stadium location has been discussed ad naseum, but has this location been discussed.  I could imagine the rivermarket  as a mini-wrigleyville.

Last but not least, I am really excited about oving downtown.  Again, I am willing to answer any questions for people considing a rental in the downtown area.       
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Gootsku.  My girlfirend and I will be moving in a day ahead of you.  I glean from your posts that you are another KU Law alum as well.  I know we are excited - seems like a really nice building. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

congrats on the new pad. 

when i graduate next year (MU Law, whoop whoop), i may be testing the downtown rental market as well. 

luckily my needs and standards are pretty low.  all i need is a small studio.  no roaches and no crackheads is all i ask.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

gootsku wrote: 1) There really aren't a ton of places to rent downtown.
4) Finding a nice 2 bedroom in the river market area is impossible.
I assume this is because of high occupancy but do exist in quantities.  There are a couple great buildings near 3rd/Main that have nice 2 bedroom units.

Sounds like there is justification to begin building new residential buildings.

Congrats on the downtown flat!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

gootsku wrote: 5) A two bedroom apartment is currently not compatible with the idea of "loft living."  I don't mean loft living in the literal sense.  Rather I am refering to exposed brick walls, concrete floors, etc.  If you are looking for a legitimate 2 bedroom (both with enclosed walls) with these amenities be prepared to sacrifice.  I really think there is a definite market for this.  When I was at Stuart, the lady showing us around stated that she had requested 2 enclosed rooms from the developer.  She said that many people were turned off by the fact that the 2nd bedroom was exposed.  I know that this fact had caused some buddies to opt for 909 when they really wanted something stylistically different. 
I know what you mean about the lack of "true lofts" in the rental sector.  When we were searching we looked at most of the rental loft outfits downtown.  You show up at most of them and their "lofts" have some combination of apartment complex carpeting, low ceilings, and dry wall.  We had pretty well given up on finding a true loft that met our needs until we found Stuart Hall. 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Congratulations!    And I totally agree on the need for more rental development.   Most of my company's recent new hires want to live downtown but eventually give up and settle for midtown at best or sometimes even JoCo because they can't find anything to rent that's both affordable and not subject to income restriction requirements.  There's definitely an underserved market.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

The Safeway buildling has exposed brick, concrete and very old beat up wood floors, and 2 bedrooms that were both enclosed. it was the only building, when I moved in, that I thought was as close to a true loft feel. The only downside on my unit was that it faced west. And the entire western wall was glass, from about 3 feet from the floor all the way to the ceiling. It made for some rather pricey utility bills. But other than that, I would have purchased my unit had it been in a price I could afford.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
gootsku
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by gootsku »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I know what you mean about the lack of "true lofts" in the rental sector.  When we were searching we looked at most of the rental loft outfits downtown.  You show up at most of them and their "lofts" have some combination of apartment complex carpeting, low ceilings, and dry wall.  We had pretty well given up on finding a true loft that met our needs until we found Stuart Hall. 
Carpeting . . . hmmm.  That is hysterical.  That exact topic came up at least 5 times.  Soho West and South had some great deals and were close to having a loft feel.  Unfortunately, the floors were covered in carpeting.  The guy at Clubhouse Lofts explained that it was much more expensive to finish the concrete floors, than to simply lay carpeting.  Personally, I would have paid more for the units if the floors weren't carpeting.  Although, the explanations as to why the units lacked carpet were entertaining.  The lady at Soho West kindly explained that it was for liability reasons (slip and fall?).  I kind of looked at her strange and decided it best not press the issue.

It is great to know that others feel the same.  If only we had capital.  There is a real need for units similar to those at Safeway (where tat2 lives).  Given our experience, I bet we could design units that met current demand.  The problem is that most of these units are made with the thought of condo conversion down the line.

Anyway, I look forward to being neighbors.  Maybe we can grab a drink somewhere. :cheers:  (By the way, I don't consider myself an "emoticon" guy, but I feel a little celebration is in order).   
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

If you have a neighbor above you, you'll appreciate that their floor is carpeted. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Winter in KC--you'll want carpet or wood, concrete or tile means frigid footsies.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Goots, glad to hear you found something that will work for you.  Stuart Hall is a pretty cool building.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Winter in KC--you'll want carpet or wood, concrete or tile means frigid footsies.
That's why you teach your dog to fetch your slippers.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
CrossroadsKid
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CrossroadsKid »

I actually live in a place with concrete floors and it isn't half as bad as I thought.  In fact, the concrete hold a lot of heat so 1) it's usually not cold and 2)energy bills are kept to a minimum in winter b/c the concrete traps heat from the sun that is low in the southern sky (I face south, so if you faced north it's a whole different story) and radiates the heat all day and night.  In fact, eco-homes are almost exclusively built with a thermal trapping floor like concrete to do just what I am speaking of.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

I agree.  I've got concrete floors.  With a southern exposure and heat rising up from the unit below, I don't experience any discomfort in the winter.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

I enjoyed my concrete floors for a year, but they do tear up your feet somewhat.

And, the females complained often about them. 

Had to buy a bunch of slippers..
On to the Next One
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC Kropf wrote: I enjoyed my concrete floors for a year, but they do tear up your feet somewhat.

And, the females complained often about them. 

Had to buy a bunch of slippers..

Just so you don't use the same slippers for multiple females - I could see how they might not take that well. :)