OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut

Post by GRID »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:36 am Stumbled across this footage of that building getting imploded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMT-yfplAwg
KC has lost so many great buildings.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i do love the old clocks that were up there. they kind of look like the spiritual precursor to the JLC reverso tribute:

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I am the same. I am nostalgic and wish the old clocks were up there working--even though most people don't need clocks on buildings to know what time it is. I didn't live here when they still worked. Did they make a chime on the hour, or were they quiet clocks?
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:36 am Stumbled across this footage of that building getting imploded.

Do you know what year this might have been?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

tskev wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:16 am

demolish commercial building permit CPBD-200223433 was issued 1/7/2002

The address was 921 Walnut, once I found that the permit was easy to find.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

flyingember wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:01 pm
tskev wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:16 am

demolish commercial building permit CPBD-200223433 was issued 1/7/2002

The address was 921 Walnut, once I found that the permit was easy to find.
Ah thanks!
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

smh wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:58 pm Scooters appeared to be closed today and some furniture being moved out.
Spokes opened today

I *think* Scooter's closed on January 26, so that would be 46 days between their closing and Spokes opening.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Excellent that Spokes will be adding sidewalk seating to that corner. But would be even nicer if they were open later than 6:30 PM and/or made the windows a little more transparent. Walnut could use the increased activity, though I get Spokes is on an island there after dark.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:05 am Excellent that Spokes will be adding sidewalk seating to that corner. But would be even nicer if they were open later than 6:30 PM and/or made the windows a little more transparent. Walnut could use the increased activity, though I get Spokes is on an island there after dark.
I work across the street and have heard a few people already complain that it won't be a happy hour option because of their closing time. Hopefully there are enough people stopping by for a drink after work that they extend their hours a bit.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They will stay open later if it's busy at 630.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

seating on the sidewalk was out yesterday, appropriately sized/not disruptive. happy with that.

sounds like the worcester folks have not curried favor with 909 residents/staff. maybe running the maintenance team out of the building and letting issues go unaddressed while simultaneously handing out quotes on raising rents across the board was a suboptimal combination. who would have guessed!!

(obviously i live here—my unit's fine but my neighbors are um well they're leaving for what sound like very good reasons)
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Hey, at least Worcester eventually realized that the "not telling current residents much of anything" strategy wasn't working, and will be trying out the "Let's have a garden party happy hour! Come for the booze, stay for the pep talk about how awesome we are and definitely know what we're doing!" route on Friday.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Any updates on the bar they said would go in the lobby?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Per the “meet the new office staff” happy hour last month (which, unsurprisingly, turned into a “bitch about new ownership” event), Worcester has back off on that idea.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Bummer. I was looking forward to seeing the place
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

new renderings are up on the facebook page confirming the space will stay private. there are also rumors that worcester will stop providing security/doorman services. this is something like the fifth or sixth tenant near-revolt in about as many months. what a piece of shit property management company
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

If anyone here has any real-life connections to the principals at Worcester, they *really* need to know that their company is comically inept at communication (or worse, knows it and doesn't care). At the rate they're going, 909 will be a high-rise, modestly nicer version of SouthRidge Apartments in a year or two.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

Last edited by wahoowa on Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Bummer that the mgmt sucks. Are there building structural and/or infrastructure issues like elevators/HVAC? What is avg $/sqft? With rising rents downtown maybe a new owner will buy and invest more into building if not major $ to fix issues. Or is it simply poor mgmt?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

major building systems are probably fine, although complaints about maintenance line items from tenants are way up. unclear if that's an increase in occurrences of issues or just a decrease in response time. have seen some gnarly looking water damage photos in units since purchase.

they're investing into the building, and by that i mean spending money on a bunch of cosmetic "upgrades" that don't impact QOL. i do think they'll execute an exit strategy once they're done making their chip and joanna suburban garbage renovations. whether that's spin it off to a new property management company or sell them off as condos, who knows.