OFFICIAL - Hampton Inn (formerly Gumbel Building)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
smh
Supporter

Re: Gumble Building (Hampton Inn)

Post by smh »

swid wrote:I am as well.

If the Tiger Tail is (somehow) still open by the time the Hampton Inn opens, I'll be curious to see how(?) they'll market themselves to the hotel's guests.
Taco Tuesdays.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

atticus23 wrote:Seeing how awesome Oak Tower's former glory is depresses. I know there wasn't much thought to historic preservation in the past, but it is truly a shame that this building was "modernized" with the stucco cladding. Was there any real reason this was done? Such as the terra cotta falling off the building or something along those lines?
A good friend of mine was doing some research on the project and came across 15-20 years' worth of construction permits for repairing the terra cotta on the tower. The total repairs over the years came to over $175,000, in 1930's/1940's dollars. There was also some correspondence about the origin of the problem. It wasn't clear if the contractor or the terra cotta manufacturer supplied the anchors holding the facade to the building, but they were extremely defective.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chaglang wrote:
atticus23 wrote:Seeing how awesome Oak Tower's former glory is depresses. I know there wasn't much thought to historic preservation in the past, but it is truly a shame that this building was "modernized" with the stucco cladding. Was there any real reason this was done? Such as the terra cotta falling off the building or something along those lines?
A good friend of mine was doing some research on the project and came across 15-20 years' worth of construction permits for repairing the terra cotta on the tower. The total repairs over the years came to over $175,000, in 1930's/1940's dollars. There was also some correspondence about the origin of the problem. It wasn't clear if the contractor or the terra cotta manufacturer supplied the anchors holding the facade to the building, but they were extremely defective.
I had never heard that this problem was the cause of the decision to reface the building. It makes sense. For 30 years I have wondered why they would go to such great expense to 'modernize' the façade.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Barkett had a thing for "modernizing" facades. He was also responsible for doing something similar to the Palace Clothing Co at 12th & Grand.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

For 30 years I have wondered why they would go to such great expense to 'modernize' the façade.
Consider the time when this happened. The building was mostly if not entirely vacant. Had an image of "that old building". Making the inside of building more modern also meant making the outside of the building more modern. Just tried to change the image of the building.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Thanks chaglang! It makes sense as does akp's thoughts on the guy just wanting to change the image of the building. Nonetheless, it is a shame that such beautiful work was "modernized."
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

No problem. I was kind of relieved when I saw that. At least there appears to have been a reason behind it.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Architecural Hsitory of KC by Ehrlich seems to debate that the problems with cladding necessitanting the rape of the building.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

At the time Alexander Barkett had been stymied in his attempt to build of 52 story bank tower. this was a time in america wher main st usa was covering up period fadcades with aluminum 'modern" overlays. At this time SW Bell had decamped to 9th locust and 11th & Oak was vacant. After the Oak Towers stripping the bright white was painted on grayish off white in 1988. Then there was a proposal to modify the setbacks with post modern deco parapets and hanging gardens on the upper setbacks.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Oddly, this was posted today on the ‎Facebook page, Things and places we loved in Greater KC when we were much younger!

Apparently, in 1964, a small airplane hit the 28th floor of the Southwestern Bell Building (Oak Tower).

http://www3.gendisasters.com/missouri/1 ... ,-jan-1964
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

FangKC wrote:Oddly, this was posted today on the ‎Facebook page, Things and places we loved in Greater KC when we were much younger!

Apparently, in 1964, a small airplane hit the 28th floor of the Southwestern Bell Building (Oak Tower).

http://www3.gendisasters.com/missouri/1 ... ,-jan-1964
There is a LOT of detail about where the victims' bodies landed. Wow. That would be totally glossed over today.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I came across these imagines on the Jantsch Architects site.

http://jaikc.com/Residential/Gumbel.htm

This is an old image from when they were going to develop the Gumbel Building into condos. I sort of wish this had happened because they added new construction on that parking garage, or tore it out and started over.

taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

That parking garage has problems and will probably come down at some point.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote:That parking garage has problems and will probably come down at some point.
[-o<
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wish they would do it before the Gumbel Building becomes the Hampton Inn, and would do the new construction as well--either for additional hotel rooms, or a mixed use apartment/hotel development.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Pretty excited to watch this project. So much development has been occurring on the south side of the loop, it is nice to see an older building rehabbed in the north loop. Here is an update from last week. Hard to tell from the picture. but it appears most of the rooms have been framed, but still no sheetrock.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mgh7676 wrote:...it is nice to see an older building rehabbed in the north loop.
FTFY
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Hampton Inn should be open in June.

http://tinyurl.com/mz9va7l
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they really are taking their time with this one. the exterior restoration looks almost complete though.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I noticed today on Hampton Inn's website that they are accepting reservations for the downtown/financial district location from March 1, 2016 onward.