OFFICIAL - Hampton Inn (formerly Gumbel Building)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Hampton Inn (formerly Gumbel Building)

Post by DaveKCMO »

Looks like they're having a power or water issues?

longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:21 pm Looks like they're having a power or water issues?

Someone on /r/kansascity said water in the same thread about the apartments
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

re: OFFICIAL - Hampton Inn (formerly Gumbel Building)

Post by dukuboy1 »

Curious if anyone knows the status of what was the Hampton Inn on 8th & Walnut downtown. I know it's closed and I assume it was a COVID casualty, as it always seemed to have business in the few years it was open after the renovation. Just curious if it was going to re-open, be sold for development or what? I know buildings in and around the block from 8th-9th along Grand & Walnut have been in discussion for development. Just was not sure where this particular building stands. I'd figure since it had a reno done less than 5yrs ago it might be a good "turn key" development opportunity for someone.

Just curious. Thanks
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The hotel at 710 Admiral is converting to Holiday Inn. If they can drive traffic, this Hampton Inn site should be even better. I didnt realize it was closed. Thanks for bringing it up
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:53 pm Curious if anyone knows the status of what was the Hampton Inn on 8th & Walnut downtown. I know it's closed and I assume it was a COVID casualty, as it always seemed to have business in the few years it was open after the renovation. Just curious if it was going to re-open, be sold for development or what? I know buildings in and around the block from 8th-9th along Grand & Walnut have been in discussion for development. Just was not sure where this particular building stands. I'd figure since it had a reno done less than 5yrs ago it might be a good "turn key" development opportunity for someone.

Just curious. Thanks
Didn't they have a major mechanical issue during the big freeze? I seem to recall temporary HVAC setup for a long time (or maybe it was to clean up water damage from a pipe bursting).
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Not sure, I work at Commerce Bank and don't recall anything like that. But I've been WFH for about 18 months now, with the occasional onsite meeting. So I'm a little out of touch of what is happening down there. I plan to return to the office once Commerce gives us the green light to do so. We have about 30-40% back but the rest of us are waiting.

I just drove by the other day and it looked like it was shuttered. You can still find things on the website but the phone is disconnected and you can reserve rooms
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

For several months it was closed while it had huge inflatable tentacles hanging out of the windows and connecting to some portable structure. It looked like something from the movie Brazil. They've been gone for a few months but the sign says closed and people have been working in there.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Yeah, there was major water damage from burst pipes back in February; if memory serves me correctly, they had just come out of COVID-induced dormancy a month or two prior to that happening.

BTW, here's the ongoing thread for that building.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

swid wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:09 pm Yeah, there was major water damage from burst pipes back in February; if memory serves me correctly, they had just come out of COVID-induced dormancy a month or two prior to that happening.

BTW, here's the ongoing thread for that building.
Merged.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They were working hot and heavy on it for awhile and then everybody left and hasn't come back. Even have the metal studs back up for the rooms.

No idea what caused the pause. Material prices? Insurance fight? Just decided to wait until "normal"?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It could be something as simple as supply chain issues. They need something delivered before they proceed, and there's a delay and lag in production of whatever that is.

Doesn't that garage next door need replaced? It's too bad that some developer didn't have a project for the parcels the garage is on. They could have demolished that garage while the hotel was closed down.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Construction has kinda restarted. New construction equipment in lobby
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

What's the over/under on this hotel ever reopening?
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

gfenn11 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:51 am What's the over/under on this hotel ever reopening?
Without the World Cup, probably, but someone will grab it by then.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Look to be getting close on the Hampton.

Also the parking garage next door which has been a common homeless area kinda looks like it's being cleaned up and the old dive bar next to it (former Stanford's and stables before that) has the paper off the windows. No plans or permits for that lot though so maybe nothing to get excited about..