Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by Riverite »

Ahh that would make sense for the cap
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The only construction company I can really think of with the ability to develop something is JE Dunn. They’ve worked with Cordish on building the Light towers, so maybe Cordish is involved in some way but is trying to hide future intentions by working directly with their preferred KC builder.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chownow has been going on a big hiring spree during corona. Their office is near Reverb iirc but will likely pursue a new space assuming WFH does not completely take over.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

It appears that Time Equities of NYC bought out many of the holdings of Accardo Real Estate (2007 condo tower developer). TE now owns most of the Town Topic block and a big chunk of the block to the north. I think it would make sense for them to buy out the rest of the northern block as 1. Accardo continues to liquidate 2. Faultless is for sale
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Broadway has a long way to go, but if you got buildings on these sites, built 1650 Broadway, and completed the Hyatt House, it would sure be a start
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Broadway is actually a good street for office development because workers driving into downtown have several close entrance/exit points and wouldn't have to drive far after leaving the interstates.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Good point.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:21 pm Broadway is actually a good street for office development because workers driving into downtown have several close entrance/exit points and wouldn't have to drive far after leaving the interstates.
It’s one of the worst roads for car based development because the opposite is true

There’s one half diamond to/from the south into Joco in a weird spot off Pennway

From the north there’s an off ramp but no onramp back the other direction anywhere near. The NB on-ramp at Truman is dangerous with no merge or go south to a u-turn at 29th which doesnt scale well. Heading to 12th reaches the worst downtown traffic

There’s no ramp to get onto 670 WB into KCK, the best is the 29th u-turn

EB isn’t horrible but it’s the same ramp for everyone coming from the north

Only south into midtown is easy and entrance points are irrelevant there and there’s bus service via route 55
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Almost any location downtown has access issues. My point is that for some workers Broadway south of Truman is closer to interstate ramps than offices in other parts of downtown. Would your rather have all that interstate traffic sitting bumper to bumper heading to 10th and Main?

I'm perfectly aware of the ramp challenges downtown. I lived there for six years. I had a car, but I also walked places a lot, and drivers would often ask me for directions how to get out of downtown in various directions and I'd have to mentally calculate the best path out for them in my head before I sent them on their way.

And the horrors of rush hour traffic in Kansas City's downtown are nothing compared to many major cities.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Nara has closed after a 14 year run. Landlord and tenant where able to come to an agreement to end the lease early.

Does anyone know if the rest of the building has any active uses? I could see this getting wrapped up with the parcel to the north in a redevelopment project.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The whole block is Nicholson. There's three parcels to the north.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

That sucks, Nara was one if not the best Sushi place in the downtown area. I hope they can find another location as it sounds like the business was still wanting to run. I wonder if landlord wants to go residential? Also the rents in that area going up. Shame an original place like that got priced out. It’s a place that helped make the crossroads the crossroads before the boom. Maybe they can find life in East Crossroads by Troost or further South in mid town. Or plan ahead look for spot along street car line again but in mid town
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Where was it said Nara still wanted to run?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:24 am Nara has closed after a 14 year run. Landlord and tenant where able to come to an agreement to end the lease early.

Does anyone know if the rest of the building has any active uses? I could see this getting wrapped up with the parcel to the north in a redevelopment project.
2nd floor was Nara event space, 3rd floor is an office tenant (Super Dispatch, previously Neighborly).

The parcel to the north was already identified as a development, but I don't know what happened to that. Nicholson had acquired it from someone else.

The east side of the black on the other side of the alley was going to be a shared garage + office space that hasn't yet materialized.

Pretty sure Nara didn't close because of the rent...
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:37 am Where was it said Nara still wanted to run?
I haven’t seen anything saying there will be a second attempt
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Everything I've heard it's that they just wanted to shut it down which sucks.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That entire block is certainly prime for additional infill development being along the streetcar line and under control of one owner.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I've read a few details and it looks like the recent shut downs and such hit them a little harder and they were just ready to call it a run. The restaurant business is hard, long hours, lots of work. If that spark fizzles...

So I get it. Hopefully someone local will look to fill that void and be able to achieve the same level, if not better, of success
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It might be better if the block gets redeveloped before anything reopens in that building. Imagine starting a new restaurant there only to have new buildings being constructed all around your business.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:56 am It might be better if the block gets redeveloped before anything reopens in that building. Imagine starting a new restaurant there only to have new buildings being constructed all around your business.
Will the owner of the land somehow have more money by not leasing the building again?

Why would they need to imagine? Ask Affaire a few blocks to the south how that is. It's not much different from opening a new restaurant.