Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

langosta wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:00 pm Image
I think you're links are broken
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Riverite wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:01 pm
langosta wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:00 pm Image
I think you're links are broken
It should show now
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is disappointing to not see any plans for all those empty lots along streetcar line through Xroads after running for 3+ years.

And look at the lot size of Church of Resurrection (6) relative to the building. And I think they have another lot across street. If they are targeting members outside downtown, maybe they should move out of downtown. They don't need all the parking if targeting just the area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:06 pm Is disappointing to not see any plans for all those empty lots along streetcar line through Xroads after running for 3+ years.
Single ownership. The owner has plans that aren't public. It's been very slow to move forward. Step one was the Hampton Inn.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:34 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:06 pm Is disappointing to not see any plans for all those empty lots along streetcar line through Xroads after running for 3+ years.
Single ownership. The owner has plans that aren't public. It's been very slow to move forward. Step one was the Hampton Inn.
Most of the parking lots that exist, ~20 of them, are part of the same parcel as a building. This tells us it's that building's parking.

A lease that is always renewed with use of the parking lot or is owner occupied will take years, if not decades, to develop.

Three years is nothing on the timescale of building out downtown. I would expect that in 20 years there's still surface lots along it. Remember that many of our downtown lots are 100 years old. They're more historic than most of the buildings.

Case in point, Adams/Wabash in Chicago has an El stop and a surface lot next to each other. There's 12 stories on parking in a garage across the street.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That is why arguing for tearing down a building -- without a financed replacement -- is always a gamble. The parcel may sit empty for decades. Even when development seems to be healthy, an economic downturn can throw it into paralysis for a long time. This is something to be considered, especially in Kansas City, because we don't have multiple Fortune 500 headquarters here.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

There's a pending tenant finish permit for 6 apartments in the building at 1523 Oak.

Streetview
Permit (FYI - there's nothing interesting in the permit)

KCDowntown
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Modern Society Adds Stylish Retail Option to Crossroads

https://cityscenekc.com/modern-society- ... rossroads/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

FangKC wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:27 am Broadway Deli Plans to Pile on the Pastrami in the Crossroads
In a match made in sandwich heaven, the soon-to-open Broadway Deli is bringing the piled-on-thick, genuine Chicago flavor of Manny’s, one of America’s great Jewish delicatessens, to the Crossroads Arts District.

The new deli, which plans to open in late April, is a collaborative venture between Bill Fromm, an entrepreneur who founded Barkley advertising and co-founded Service Management Group, KC Hopps and Manny’s Cafeteria & Delicatessen.
Fromm was sitting at a table in the new deli space at 2101 Broadway. The building at the foot of the Broadway viaduct was once occupied by Pezzettino Italian Deli & Market.

https://cityscenekc.com/broadway-deli-p ... rossroads/
They are closing and they are saying lack of parking is to blame. I dunno about that. I thought it was pretty bad. The sandwiches were very small for what u paid and the food wasn't that great to begin with. We will never get a true Jewish deli in the city
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Competition from Milwaukee deli perhaps?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:23 pm Competition from Milwaukee deli perhaps?
Haha.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:08 pmThey are closing and they are saying lack of parking is to blame. I dunno about that. I thought it was pretty bad. The sandwiches were very small for what u paid and the food wasn't that great to begin with. We will never get a true Jewish deli in the city
What!? The one time I made it down there, it was freaking amazing. The sandwiches were decidedly not Katz's deli sized or anything, but the food was top notch.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Too bad. That said I never went. It was not due to parking.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:08 pm
FangKC wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:27 am Broadway Deli Plans to Pile on the Pastrami in the Crossroads
In a match made in sandwich heaven, the soon-to-open Broadway Deli is bringing the piled-on-thick, genuine Chicago flavor of Manny’s, one of America’s great Jewish delicatessens, to the Crossroads Arts District.

The new deli, which plans to open in late April, is a collaborative venture between Bill Fromm, an entrepreneur who founded Barkley advertising and co-founded Service Management Group, KC Hopps and Manny’s Cafeteria & Delicatessen.
Fromm was sitting at a table in the new deli space at 2101 Broadway. The building at the foot of the Broadway viaduct was once occupied by Pezzettino Italian Deli & Market.

https://cityscenekc.com/broadway-deli-p ... rossroads/
The sandwiches were very small for what u paid and the food wasn't that great to begin with.
Agreed. I visited shortly after it opened. I don't really remember anything from the experience other than feeling a bit cheated.
KCKev2
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCKev2 »

Sorry to see it go. Food was delicious, but I always had it delivered precisely because I didn't want to deal with lack of parking.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I really liked their sandwiches and, to be honest, they might be right about parking on this one. I wanted to pick up a quick sandwich a couple times but couldn’t find a place to park. They should have held their two street spots for 5 minute parking or pick up customers only.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

They had a taxpayer funded parking garage a block away that had free parking for customers. If parking was their problem, we might as well just give up and sell this city for parts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah validate parking in the garage. If that was too far away they knew what they were getting when they signed the lease