Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by grovester »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:58 pm
grovester wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:51 pm Agreed, but frankly, eliminating the art portion from what's going on now would make the current situation worse.
Who said you would eliminate the art portion, and why would you do that?
Bad choice of words, meant eliminating the gallery openings.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:55 pm Just let it naturally evolve. We don't need to get rid of art or food or anything. If the people responsible for organizing the supporting infrastructure need more money, they should let us know so we can come up with finding solutions.
We need $7,000 a month for off-duty police officers. We accept Venmo.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:08 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:55 pm Just let it naturally evolve. We don't need to get rid of art or food or anything. If the people responsible for organizing the supporting infrastructure need more money, they should let us know so we can come up with finding solutions.
It kind of sounds like FF is in a weird place between block party and full blown festival. Big enough to require real security, restrooms, and trash collection but too small to cover those services.
Last edited by langosta on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Honestly I'm leaning towards breaking it up but I'm not even sure how you do it at this point.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:59 pm Honestly I'm leaning towards breaking it up but I'm not even sure how you do it at this point.
In the past week, a handful of Kansas Citians have been shot to death. Yet, it is only the 1 shooting in downtown that has garnered much media attention. We have a problem but its not with First Fridays.

The kids will go somewhere. Whether that is Zona Rosa, the Plaza, Oak Park Mall, or their neighborhood park. The FF shooting is the most recent example of a long line of shootings taking place where our young citizens choose to gather. We aren't going to stop the shootings or the violence by installing curfews or closing FF early. Our kids will still get shot - just in different neighborhoods. It is only by investing in our children's education from their earliest years on that I think we can begin to fix this problem.

I agree that the event has changed. I notice that most people seem to mill about aimlessly. I too have noticed the change in crowds that takes place around 9:30 - 10PM. But is that a bad thing? Art galleries seem stuck in the past and showcase a limited scope of mediums. Crowds downtown means people are discovering what urban life in KC has to offer. 99.99% of the late night - non bar age- crowds go about without committing crimes.

What if First Friday's (the party) moved? Maybe to the riverfront?
Last edited by langosta on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

My feelings aren't at all changed.by the events last Friday.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

langosta wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:15 pm

In the past week, a handful of Kansas Citians have been shot to death. Yet, it is only the 1 shooting in downtown that has garnered much media attention. We have a problem but its not with First Fridays..........It is only by investing in our children's education from their earliest years on that I think we can begin to fix this problem.
Absolutely. This is a systemic issue that security or curfews can only go so far to help. We're very good at ignoring problems until they're in our backyard and it doesn't have to be that way.

As for moving the party, I don't think that would solve anything, and it's pretty unrealistic. The party is tied to the neighborhood.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:43 pm
langosta wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:15 pm

In the past week, a handful of Kansas Citians have been shot to death. Yet, it is only the 1 shooting in downtown that has garnered much media attention. We have a problem but its not with First Fridays..........It is only by investing in our children's education from their earliest years on that I think we can begin to fix this problem.
Absolutely. This is a systemic issue that security or curfews can only go so far to help. We're very good at ignoring problems until they're in our backyard and it doesn't have to be that way.

As for moving the party, I don't think that would solve anything, and it's pretty unrealistic. The party is tied to the neighborhood.
I don't think it does either. Just throwing it out there.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Thanks for the last few posts. Wringing hands over what's wrong with FF and thinking about changing or cancelling it over last week's event is completely the wrong approach. I don't think added security is even the answer. The problem/problems that led to the shooting have nothing to do with FF. They were brought there by the people that fired the shots and wherever those people go, the propensity for that violence goes with them.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:08 pm
Sounds like a better use of funds than the gun buy back program that's being floated around.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:08 pm We need $7,000 a month for off-duty police officers. We accept Venmo.
I can get the Hell's Angels for $5,000 + beer.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yikes, Altamont Fest!
Last edited by earthling on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

taxi wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:07 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:08 pm We need $7,000 a month for off-duty police officers. We accept Venmo.
I can get the Hell's Angels for $5,000 + beer.
If you think that much beer will cost you under $2000.....
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Streetcar grille and bar is soft opened. Looked like a pretty generic bar menu but holy crap they got a Costco deal on the TV's. That could save them for crossroaders who want sports.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

When Picklemans opens, does Pirate Burger take the lead for longest time to open a restaurant ever?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

When Picklemans opens, does Pirate Burger take the lead for longest time to open a restaurant ever?
Assume you're referring to Pirate's Bone at 20th and Main? It's my understanding that they only closed their prior shop on 59th street a few months ago (I went there late spring at some point), and were still putting together financing for the new location.

They have years worth of delays and excitement-turned-frustration before they can be spoken of in the same breath as Pickleman's downtown...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:19 pm
Assume you're referring to Pirate's Bone at 20th and Main? It's my understanding that they only closed their prior shop on 59th street a few months ago (I went there late spring at some point), and were still putting together financing for the new location.

They have years worth of delays and excitement-turned-frustration before they can be spoken of in the same breath as Pickleman's downtown...
Yes, Pirates Bone. How could I forget such a catchy name. I’m not sure if they’re burning up any excitement really. Just seems strange to kick out a tenant that was at least open for business for one that looks to be taking their sweet time getting going. Perhaps, that’s why I was reminded of Picklemans.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah pirate bone could open in 2021 and still beat picklemans
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:39 pm Yeah pirate bone could open in 2021 and still beat picklemans
In time for the Strata lunch crowds!