Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:12 pm Nimble Brewing Company - 1735 Oak

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... aa728eb3b5
Building owned by the Surface family, who also rent to Border and Double Shift. I guess that explains their Brewers Row parking lot renovation.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

Going in above the old YJ's space in the former art studio(s) - see bottom of the page for a link to the instagram account with additional details & blueprints:
https://www.novacancykc.com/
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

no vacancy is a curious name choice
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

For a second the description sounded like it could be a hostel but sounds like it leans toward an AirBNB. Downtown could use a hostel or some form of cheapish beds for rent, cheaper than a downtown AirBNB room. Can get an AirBNB room for as low as $30 in midtown but not downtown.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:47 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:22 pm I believe I heard that Goodwill is staying and has renovation plans.
They will not be renovating. The choices are sell and move or stay in the building as-is. But, the sale discussions are very, very preliminary if they materialize at all. Even the discussion is a good sign for that area and the future of East Crossroads.
Goodwill Selling Strategic East Crossroads Property on 18th Street
Goodwill is selling its former office, training and warehouse facility at 18th and Campbell, opening a strategic redevelopment opportunity between the East Crossroads and 18th & Vine Jazz District.
The four-story, 78,000 square-foot building being offered for sale originally was built in 1923 and had an addition completed in 1977. No price has been determined.
https://cityscenekc.com/goodwill-sellin ... th-street/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Looks like another Ramen shop going in near 15th/Grand in old Thai restaurant spot.
https://cityscenekc.com/ma-ma-ramen-lat ... ary-block/

Have been in S Florida, noting what's hot down here in terms of restaurant trends. KC is keeping up with the foodie hall thing (Parlour is well above avg and Iron District is unique), plant-based restaurants of course hot now, mocktails are in and many places come up with mixed bowls. Nothing that stands out but one fish that I like in Key West - hogfish. Not seeing anything that KC is lacking but downtown could use a good quality Indian restaurant and a char-bowl counter within a foodie hall.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes on the Indian restaurant.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Has anyone heard of the people who own the Crossroads KC outdoor music venue opening a new music venue within the crossroads? I keep hearing rumors but haven't seen anything solid.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:36 pm Has anyone heard of the people who own the Crossroads KC outdoor music venue opening a new music venue within the crossroads? I keep hearing rumors but haven't seen anything solid.
Yes. Rumor is that it would move to 20th & Vine. With residential moving into East Crossroads, it's inevitable. Here's a clue:

http://fox4kc.com/2020/01/27/neighbors- ... ne-street/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes. 2000 vine is the target location right now
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Not sure how I feel about moving the Crossroads music venue. That stage along with Grinders was basically the main driver for all of the activity/development in East Cross roads. I’d love for 18th Street over time Vine and Jazz District to be a vibrant corridor. However going South on Vine from 18th St is rough. Rough in terms buildings, sidewalks, etc. I mean there is a Motorcycle Club venue, then a bunch of vacant run down buildings and empty lots. There is opportunity but it’s going to take a lot because you have to connect to Jazz District seamlessly to East Crossroads first then extend it South to 2000 Vine, IMO.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

There are lots of redevelopment plans for that area. It may not make sense now, but it could help drive the redevelopment in that area.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

What’s the main catalyst behind moving the venue? I know they’ve received growing noise complaints over the years but I’m sure there’s other reasons.

When it comes to outdoor music venues, it’s not a great one in modern times but has its simplistic charms. Feels like a true backyard concert with porta johns a beer shack etc. I’d just hate to see them forced out since they’ve been there so long.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

That's very valuable property now, might just be a financial decision.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The ruins vibe of Workhouse Castle will become a great small concert venue. Hopefully it won't be damaged though.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:41 am That's very valuable property now, might just be a financial decision.
This is true and to be honest, most concert revenue isn't made off ticket sales, it's the concessions, vip upgrades etc. Current location is likely a struggle to really generate revenue.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

2000 vine is still battling cpc last i knew.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

No one is being forced out. This is all financial.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:39 pm
gfenn11 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:32 pm More news and drama over the partial building collapse- Was it legal to have tenants? The city says NO.

https://fox4kc.com/2018/10/22/crossroad ... displaced/
It appears the owner of the building that collapsed on the NE corner of 18th and Locust is attempting to save it.

Reconstruction of the damaged portion of the building on the NE corner of 18th and Locust.

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

If this had happened anytime before this past decade, this building would be gone. Glad we finally have the momentum to save buildings.