Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by grovester »

I don't get this "giving up an urban event" thing.

It will revert to what it was 5 years ago when it was a huge success.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Art is like jazz, people feel they should like it but most really don’t. First Fridays isn’t about art and never has been. Same with the Plaza art fair. The art is just an excuse for what people really want, an opportunity to be part of a community and have an experience in an interesting environment and be with friends. FF pulling back to just focusing on art again and eliminating what it’s turned into will slowly kill off the size and vibrancy of the event.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FF has become a staple KC cultural event beyond the galleries and should be sustained but the changes happening won't cut it back too much I'd think. And they can continue to make adjustments in either direction to balance manageability/public participation. But maybe more city help is needed, such as KCPD patrol that doesn't need to be separately hired.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:07 am Art is like jazz, people feel they should like it but most really don’t. First Fridays isn’t about art and never has been. Same with the Plaza art fair. The art is just an excuse for what people really want, an opportunity to be part of a community and have an experience in an interesting environment and be with friends. FF pulling back to just focusing on art again and eliminating what it’s turned into will slowly kill off the size and vibrancy of the event.
Agree with this, other than I think people will still show up.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:07 am Art is like jazz, people feel they should like it but most really don’t. First Fridays isn’t about art and never has been. Same with the Plaza art fair. The art is just an excuse for what people really want, an opportunity to be part of a community and have an experience in an interesting environment and be with friends. FF pulling back to just focusing on art again and eliminating what it’s turned into will slowly kill off the size and vibrancy of the event.
"..an opportunity to be part of a community and have an experience in an interesting environment and be with friends..."

This will still happen.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

So quite predictably, the food trucks are just moving right outside the festival grounds to the east.

So there will still be the same problems with more open streets and less regulation.

This is the problem with this nimby bs. These decisions need to me made at higher level and not some neighborhood meeting of grumpy people. This was very poorly handled and communicated.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

What if First Friday's moved around?

For example: June at 18th and Vine, July in the Crossroads, August on 39th Street, etc.

Moving the event around would (1) reduce the burdens of hosting on a single neighborhood (2) show suburbanites areas of the city they likely wouldn't visit otherwise (3) spread the positive economic/social benefit to galleries and business across our urban core.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:07 pm So quite predictably, the food trucks are just moving right outside the festival grounds to the east.

So there will still be the same problems with more open streets and less regulation.

This is the problem with this nimby bs. These decisions need to me made at higher level and not some neighborhood meeting of grumpy people. This was very poorly handled and communicated.
You do realize the loss of insurance was a major factor, right, coupled with unsustainable costs?
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

normalthings wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:47 am What if First Friday's moved around?

For example: June at 18th and Vine, July in the Crossroads, August on 39th Street, etc.

Moving the event around would (1) reduce the burdens of hosting on a single neighborhood (2) show suburbanites areas of the city they likely wouldn't visit otherwise (3) spread the positive economic/social benefit to galleries and business across our urban core.
What is 'First Fridays' anyway?

If it's a gallery walk, keep it where the most galleries are. (To me FF is will always be about the art and the Crossroads).

If it's a festival with food trucks and street vendors, move it to some other day and rename it. Host it on Second Fridays or something. That way it could move to different neighborhoods every month...that would be a cool idea. But it would need new branding, a social media page to keep people posted, etc. It would need to be totally separated from FF.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:19 am
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:07 pm So quite predictably, the food trucks are just moving right outside the festival grounds to the east.

You do realize the loss of insurance was a major factor, right, coupled with unsustainable costs?
Sure, although I think there was some boiled up anger among a select group of people that were happy to use this opportunity to go after the food trucks and vendors.

Anyway, all the problems will still exist was my point. The crossroads complains all the time but where are their expense reports and news?

It just seems like a group no longer capable of running an event of its size. The city needs to get involved and provide proper policing and proper communication.
Last edited by WoodDraw on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Deleted accidental post
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I don’t want to sound callous, because the murder that caused all this knee-jerking is tragic, and should horrify and anger people. But it seems like a lot of overreacting. How many people have attended First Fridays over the course of it’s history? How many of them were killed there? Are food trucks and people who like to be part of a social scene but don’t care about art really the problem? Is there even a real problem? I’m not sure one high-profile shooting is statistically any reason to run around freaking out.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^I doubt it's a knee jerk reaction. Based on Dave's comments, I suspect Xroads Assoc has been wanting to trim back FF due to costs/trash etc before the incident and this incident gives them another reason to take action.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

So, not a knee-jerk reaction, just an excuse. Not sure that’s better.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

We'll be going tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how the changes play out. I suspect it will still have a good vibe and should be good weather. They can always make adjustments over time.

Crown Center has their chalk walk festival this weekend but starting Sat. Too bad not starting Friday as it might help disperse crowds.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Let's be honest, ff hasn't been about art for a long time. Even in the early days that event was soaked in wine.

Perhaps it's better to move to the east crossroads for the food and drinks and let the west be more whatever.

I've started to see first Friday stuff all over downtown. It's inevitable that it's going to expand around the downtown area.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I bet the majority of people who normally show up to wander around won't even know that changes were coming.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

One thing I think could help a loitering crowd just loitering looking for something to do (idle hands are the devil's workshop) is publish a monthly what this is to do and see and where. Right now people show up and basically mill about.

Let people know where the galleries are. What special performances are scheduled.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Maybe have framed sheet of paper outside each gallery or on door with a QR code that says "Scan with phone for First Friday Gallery and Event Guide". Less costly than printing and doesn't add trash. Site would just need monthly updates before FF.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Even electronically produced, hosted through visitkc app. Something. Too much "where do I go" standing around