Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by shinatoo »

Maybe it's time to let First Friday be what it is and have a second monthly event that is more gallery centric. Events evolve, FF is a great event I wouldn't want to see change. Start again.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^That's a good idea. There have been some invitation only crawls in the past at times - or something along those lines. They tended to be secondary events for buyers who are on artist email lists. I recall being invited the day after FF in past. Probably still goes on to varying degrees. But a less publicly known or even underground actual 'gallery crawl' on say Third Fridays would be a good idea if not already happening, with a guide that also shows which artists are in biz spaces. Would bring back an artist specific focus.

What seems to have changed most though is the daily artist living hangout that Xroads used to be, centered around YJ's and also Grinder's on E end 10+ years ago as Midtownkid pointed out. It was raw, edgy and significant then, transitioned into a manicured culture of $12 cocktails. Obviously the rent rise across the board means artists generally don't live there to same degree, including their hangouts disappearing or changing to cater to a different crowd. It's the natural evolution of art districts.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:39 pm Maybe it's time to let First Friday be what it is and have a second monthly event that is more gallery centric. Events evolve, FF is a great event I wouldn't want to see change. Start again.
So who pays for and organizes that? Everyone needs to remember that the neighborhood structure isn't like Westport or Plaza with a CID and consolidated property ownership that makes these things easy. Right now it's all volunteer and temporary staff (including off-duty PD) paid for by food truck and street vendor fees. NTDF grant covers port-a-potties and trash cans for maybe three months.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:13 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:47 pm Maybe the tension is more is this still an art gallery night or has it transformed into something more that we should just enjoy?

How many people go to the plaza art fair just to walk around, have drinks, listen to music, and eat food?

When people ask me a resource to guide them where to go for galleries I'm at a loss. I usually just tell them go wander around and follow crowds.

Seems the galleries should get together and work on some communication if we want this to be focused on them. I'd love that. Now it's just a big food truck party with bunch of people setting up tables in parking lots and on sidewalks trying to hawk whatever they can.
shinatoo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:39 pm Maybe it's time to let First Friday be what it is and have a second monthly event that is more gallery centric. Events evolve, FF is a great event I wouldn't want to see change. Start again.
I agree with these mostly. People ask me a lot "We're going to first fridays! what should we do?" And I never really have an answer. Not surprising that everyone kind of heads to the food and drinks area.

I say embrace it. It's a fun night. I enjoy first fridays just like i enjoy the city market on saturday mornings and power and light for world cup soccer games. Not things I want to do every day, but it's become an important part of the city.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:14 pm
So who pays for and organizes that? Everyone needs to remember that the neighborhood structure isn't like Westport or Plaza with a CID and consolidated property ownership that makes these things easy. Right now it's all volunteer and temporary staff (including off-duty PD) paid for by food truck and street vendor fees. NTDF grant covers port-a-potties and trash cans for maybe three months.
I mean didn't you just answer your own question?

Are they making enough in fees to cover cost, or do they need more money?

The city should be paying for police. Downtown relies far too heavily on privately paid security and the city basically doesn't patrol. It's a big event, just police it.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I guess what I'm saying is I don't want it to be organized. Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people put in a lot of free time to make it happen.

But Kansas City lacks much of a downtown street culture and it's one thing I miss from a lot of cities I've lived it. Being able to just meet your friends, stand out on the street, and eat and drink, and roam around. I don't want it to turn into the plaza art fair. I just want it to be an open, fun night for everyone.

It is one day a month, and mostly only a few months of the year. The city should be able to police it within their budget.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:13 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:47 pm Maybe the tension is more is this still an art gallery night or has it transformed into something more that we should just enjoy?

How many people go to the plaza art fair just to walk around, have drinks, listen to music, and eat food?

When people ask me a resource to guide them where to go for galleries I'm at a loss. I usually just tell them go wander around and follow crowds.

Seems the galleries should get together and work on some communication if we want this to be focused on them. I'd love that. Now it's just a big food truck party with bunch of people setting up tables in parking lots and on sidewalks trying to hawk whatever they can.
I agree. None of the people I know going to FF are going to look at art or purchase art. They're going to "party", walk around and may take in some art here and there, but never intend to buy. It's still a great event, but not even remotely the same as what it was originally intended to be.

Hopefully one day when the cap is done to bridge the crossroads and PNL, a massive street/art/entertainment festival will happen on FF's. From the Crossroads all the way to Rivermarket.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

i still think pedestrianizing a street through the plaza Spanish style would be a big help. The same with the cap if it's ever done. Pave over the road and put up umbrellas and chairs and landscaping.

Give people a daily place where they can go and be outside and listen to music and drink and eat with no cars. We lack public spaces that are fun so I think people think of these events as novelties.

That's an argument for a different thread though.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Rochester Brewing Serving Coffee, Beer on Tap Later This Month
Rochester Brewing and Coffee Roasting has the coffee part of its name going at 2129 Washington St. and plans to start pouring beer by the end of the month.
https://cityscenekc.com/rochester-brewi ... his-month/
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:58 pm I know this conversation keeps getting trashed because of racists, so please just go somewhere else if you want to be that person because I really want an answer.

What's the general feeling in the crossroads? I'd really hate to see the event shut down early. I hope they don't change too much from the one event.
It has changed alot. used to be all about art, past 5+ years its been a little about art and more of a street party, and this past year it's been over ran with children. I don't think i've seen a fight at FF all the years i've went until this year. Hopefully the city acts swiftly and installs the curfew in the Crossroads. More police and private security are needed too and it might be time to visit the idea of pulling some of the street DJ's.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:14 pm
Who paid for it and organized it when it first started? Start it small again, like it was originally. Maybe Crossroads has changed enough that it's not the right location for what FF was originally. My point being is that it would be very difficult to change FF back into what it was even 10 years ago. So if you want that type of event, maybe it's time to start fresh and let FF be what it has become.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Agree there could be a way to bring buyers and art enthusiasts to artists and keep it lower profile. Could start with mailing lists to past buyers that's open to public but not marketed or openly pushed. Encourage streetside artists to participate. You'd have the balance of attracting mostly buyers but still attracting light enthusiasts not on mailing list who are there for the art. It would hit local media and bring some public attention but probably would take a while to build up to large crowds (and many will stick to known FF anyway because they specifically go for the large crowd vibe). Once the crowds of secondary event are higher than organizers want (or a good chunk not there for the art), switch to another weekend, put out the mailing lists again and let whatever happen happen. It's closer to being back to basics but wouldn't expect wine/cheese in galleries like the early years.

Would be nice if some philanthropists would buy up a couple spaces for incubators like the early years (like across street from old YJs). I don't think there are many if any left that allows starting artists to actually create art down there. Could be wrong maybe some still there, I've been out of the loop for a while.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:02 am Who paid for it and organized it when it first started? Start it small again, like it was originally. Maybe Crossroads has changed enough that it's not the right location for what FF was originally. My point being is that it would be very difficult to change FF back into what it was even 10 years ago. So if you want that type of event, maybe it's time to start fresh and let FF be what it has become.
I welcome your ideas for reducing the food trucks and street vendors that precipitated the need for more organization and traffic control. AFAIK we can't just tell them all to scram so we can go back to a quiet gallery walk.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

How about a blanket ban on vending food from vehicles on public streets? Make it something allowable by invitation only, so the brewery/distillery/gallery / whatever without a kitchen can invite a specific food truck vendor for their special events, to be parked in front of their building. Also allowed off-street where zoning allows, for full-time rotating food truck collections like Little Piggy, etc.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:23 am
shinatoo wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:02 am Who paid for it and organized it when it first started? Start it small again, like it was originally. Maybe Crossroads has changed enough that it's not the right location for what FF was originally. My point being is that it would be very difficult to change FF back into what it was even 10 years ago. So if you want that type of event, maybe it's time to start fresh and let FF be what it has become.
I welcome your ideas for reducing the food trucks and street vendors that precipitated the need for more organization and traffic control. AFAIK we can't just tell them all to scram so we can go back to a quiet gallery walk.
I'm not sure why we are having trouble communicating here, but that's exactly what I'm saying you should NOT do.

I'm saying.

1. Leave FF exactly the way it is and let it continue to evolve into whatever the interested parties want it to evolve into. I think it's a great event for Kansas City and really brings the city together. Even though it's not much of a gallery crawl anymore.

2. If there is a group that wants an arts/art gallery event like what FF was originally then they should pick a day, not FF, maybe last Friday, third Friday, and start that event.

We are not going to be able to undo what FF has become. Nor should we.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Agreed, but frankly, eliminating the art portion from what's going on now would make the current situation worse.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Just let it naturally evolve. We don't need to get rid of art or food or anything. If the people responsible for organizing the supporting infrastructure need more money, they should let us know so we can come up with finding solutions.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

grovester wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:51 pm Agreed, but frankly, eliminating the art portion from what's going on now would make the current situation worse.
Who said you would eliminate the art portion, and why would you do that?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Just to clarify we are on same page, what is suggested is leaving FF as is with arts and a second low profile but still public monthly event intended to specifically attract art buyers and enthusiasts.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:58 pm
grovester wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:51 pm Agreed, but frankly, eliminating the art portion from what's going on now would make the current situation worse.
Who said you would eliminate the art portion, and why would you do that?
The galleries are pretty frustrated right now. Some of them have adjusted their FF hours as a result (or chosen a different night to debut exhibits).