Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by KCMax »

rxlexi wrote:   A couple of comments re: xroads -

That new DST "Sustainable" park is actually quite cool, and provides some really sweet views of the city to the north and south (south, particularly).  However, I have never seen another person in it, and I feel like I never will.  Beyond school field trips or something, who is going to use and enjoy this urban garden?  Still a unique new asset in the xroads.

I think my favorite "under-utilized" chunk of the area is the old film row strip on 18th immediately west of YJ's/Birdies et al.  I LOVE these stout little deco brick buildings and the potential streetscape down there, especially with the PAC rising just behind.  This strip is yet another example of the xroads taking a loooong time to blossom...I would have thought it would be filled with neat stuff and restored buildings years ago, but instead we've seen little fits and starts on McGee and the east Xroads and even Grand and Oak.  Film Row WILL kick ass someday.  How cool would a motion picture museum/electronic media gallery be here?
YES! I really had no idea about our film history until recently when I got a chance to visit some of these old buildings. They are outstanding buildings and I would love to see that area become a more vibrant area.

I also wonder if it would be a good idea to have a restaurant row in that area. It would serve mostly the PAC crowds, but its still close enough to get convention goers, Music Hall patrons, even SC patrons, and other out-of-towners (and of course Crossroads and downtown residents). I kinda think they should just close that stretch of 17th and make it a plaza area, especially if the DST garden remains. You'd have a nice walkalble area that might better connect the PAC with the surrounding areas, especially if they turn into any kind of restaurant area. Otherwise, I'm afraid we're going to have an awesome PAC that people simply drive in from the suburbs, park their cars in the nice garage, watch their show, and leave without any interaction with downtown.

Also, anyone ever been to the Webster House? Is it only for little old socialite ladies or would I actually enjoy a lunch there?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

max, I have only been to Webster House for happy hour, but it is a GREAT happy hour, and highly recommended.  Super-cheap, very good food (I had a burger and truffle fries as well as a cocktail that escapes me now, for like $10).  A big surprise.

I'm not sure what their usual crowd looks like, but judging from the meticulous, antiquey school-house vibe it's probably more a ladies-that-lunch place.  Again, I am not sure, however. 

That place is certainly starting to make for an interesting contrast, architecturally, with the PAC.  I just want to see all of those surrounding lots and fine deco buildigns rehabbed a la the Vitagraph/Symphony building Helzberg got a hold of. 
are we spinning free?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Does anyone know what happened with Hudson Home? They are no longer located above Retro Inferno, but there were vague references on their facebook page about a "new space" back in September.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

trailerkid wrote: Does anyone know what happened with Hudson Home? They are no longer located above Retro Inferno, but there were vague references on their facebook page about a "new space" back in September.
They are no longer operating a retail location.  They are still offering sales to the trade.  I believe the new office is at 17th & Jefferson.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

2 different sources on Yelp: Nica's Cafe owners saying it's bound for the Crossroads. No ideas on where, but Old Lulu's space on SW BLVD would be great for them. Same block as Grinders would also be good or maybe former Sarah's on Grand? This type of business will be a welcome addition as it fills a niche for downtown as a casual, breakfast and lunch-geared, quasi hip cafe.

It's also significant because it has a significant, grassroots SoJoCo following which will likely make the trek downtown.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

I think Sarahs is still open. And from what I heard (rumor) LuLUs may do breakfast.  More places, more choices, more people..:-)
P&L Free since 2008
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

elextendo wrote: I think Sarahs is still open. And from what I heard (rumor) LuLUs may do breakfast.  More places, more choices, more people..:-)
Wait...what? Sarah's on Grand?

Is there anything in the Pi Gallery now?
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Pi gallery was bought and has a photo studio and gallery/ one3 studios run by Jeff Mullkin best neighbors the block has ever had.
P&L Free since 2008
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

elextendo wrote: Pi gallery was bought and has a photo studio and gallery/ one3 studios run by Jeff Mullkin best neighbors the block has ever had.
Good to hear!

http://www.419e18th.com/
http://www.one3studios.com/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

black bamboo is moving to sw blvd, between blue gallery and hammerpress. word is that the drop may move into the old black bamboo space.

as mentioned in the noodle thread, lulu's is open in their new space. the old lulu's is being filled by another thai restaurant.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: black bamboo is moving to sw blvd, between blue gallery and hammerpress. word is that the drop may move into the old black bamboo space.

as mentioned in the noodle thread, lulu's is open in their new space. the old lulu's is being filled by another thai restaurant.
oh wow. the Drop would be awesome in the Xroads. i think it's kind of an island over there on 31st.
urbangent
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by urbangent »

This miscellaneous Crossroads News may be a good time to introduce myself.  I am co-owner of method clothier and have been an avid fan of this forum for years (even back when it was called KCskyscrapers).  I would like to say thanks to all of those here on this forum because without folks like you, Kansas City would be a drab midwestern town.  Instead, it is full of fun, funky individuals and neighborhoods that can hold a candle to the likes of any around the globe.  I look forward to sharing with you all that method will strive to do to be a part of the great Crossroads neighborhood and I look forward to hearing positive news on the growth of the Crossroads.  Cheers.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

i too have heard the same location (old Black Bamboo), but i've heard that it's actually going to be a 2nd location, not a move. Here's hoping. I really like Martini Corner, though obviously it is struggling. If The Drop was gone, I'd never really make it to Tower Tavern or Velvet Dog, either...
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

welcome to method folk! def a business bringing something new to downtown.
ColumbusParkian wrote: i too have heard the same location (old Black Bamboo), but i've heard that it's actually going to be a 2nd location, not a move. Here's hoping. I really like Martini Corner, though obviously it is struggling. If The Drop was gone, I'd never really make it to Tower Tavern or Velvet Dog, either...
cosign. 31st/Martini Corner losing The Drop to the Xroads would be +1 -1. having a well respected spot like the The Drop operate a new Xroads operation and keep the existing location going would be ideal.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

urbangent wrote: This miscellaneous Crossroads News may be a good time to introduce myself.  I am co-owner of method clothier and have been an avid fan of this forum for years (even back when it was called KCskyscrapers).  I would like to say thanks to all of those here on this forum because without folks like you, Kansas City would be a drab midwestern town.  Instead, it is full of fun, funky individuals and neighborhoods that can hold a candle to the likes of any around the globe.  I look forward to sharing with you all that method will strive to do to be a part of the great Crossroads neighborhood and I look forward to hearing positive news on the growth of the Crossroads.  Cheers.
Glad to add another positive pro-KC voice!
urbangent
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by urbangent »

Thank you.  I should add that we always use Black Bamboo candles in the store.  They have a great selection!  A brief conversation I had with the owner of Black Bamboo a couple of weeks ago was informative.  He stated that their new space would actually be larger than their current one.  Good news to see a Crossroads business thrive, expand, and continue to invest in the neighborhood.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Two Thai restaurants within walking distance of each other?

Nice!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

urbangent wrote: Thank you.  I should add that we always use Black Bamboo candles in the store.  They have a great selection!  A brief conversation I had with the owner of Black Bamboo a couple of weeks ago was informative.  He stated that their new space would actually be larger than their current one.  Good news to see a Crossroads business thrive, expand, and continue to invest in the neighborhood.
Wow. that's good to hear they're expanding. it seems like the existing Black Bamboo space is pretty big.
urbangent
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by urbangent »

Sorry if this is not the right thread.  I attempted to create a separate thread, but to no avail.  In any event, next Friday, January 14th, method will be hosting the book release party of "Out Of Touch," written by Brandon Tietz.  Brandon is an up and coming author who was born, raised, and is currently living in Kansas City.  He is loosely associated with Chuck Palahniuk, author of Fight Club. 

Trying not to give to much away, Out Of Touch's main character, Aidin, is a young, wealthy, Mission Hills scenester who lives the bottle service/drug abuse life style (one club he frequently attends, Hush, is unapologetically the real life Blonde).  Aidin's abusive lifestyle results in him losing  all physical sensation.  The book takes you through Aidin's recovery with some unsuspecting turns.  In my opinion, it's a great fictional read and Brandon does a good job of using Kansas City as a character herself (as Anne Rice often does with her beloved New Orleans).

The festivities start at 7. 1529 Grand Blvd. Hope to see some of you guys there. Cheers!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Truman Medical Center to open mental health facility in Crossroads
Truman Medical Center plans to open a community mental health facility in the heart of the Crossroads Arts District that will employ 200 people and be visited by about 300 clients daily.

Renovation work is under way on the center, which will occupy the former Custom Color building at 300 W. 19th Terrace. Seeking to consolidate operations, the hospital signed a 12-year lease for the 60,000-square-foot building several months ago and expects to open it this summer.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag