Old Film Row plan

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Old Film Row plan

Post by dangerboy »

From the City Planning Department, conceptual plans for the Old Film Row area of The Crossroads (18th and Wyandotte). So far just ideas for urban planning, historic preservation and interpretation, etc.

http://www.kcmo.org/planning.nsf/plnpre ... endocument

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Old Film Row plan

Post by moderne »

I like it. Screen off those surface lots. Its even got a ho next to the stop sign, just like the real Hollywood.
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Old Film Row plan

Post by K.C.Highrise »

Why hasn't this got more attention. For K.C. to become a great city again we need to embrace our history and make it a unique and dynamic place to live/ vist. I am all for this! :D
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Old Film Row plan

Post by paisstat »

I think this would be a waste of time and money right now. Putting up signs and markers will not make a neighborhood. The city needs to capitalize on the growth of the crossroads and invest money in restoring buildings and encouraging new construction. And as far as those parking lot screens are concerned, I think that is also a terrible idea. That would all but eliminate the chance of new construction for these sites.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Old Film Row plan

Post by trailerkid »

Crossroads home to movie industry history
Who Knew?
By KATE BEEM
Special to The Star

In the shadow of the rising downtown entertainment district lies a piece of Kansas City's past that lured big-time Hollywood names to town in the heyday of the movies.

Soon, those who frequent this quadrant of the Crossroads district south of downtown will be able to tell they are somewhere special, thanks to the work of city planners and a group of business owners and residents of the district.

Running roughly from Central to Baltimore streets between 17th and 19th streets is what boosters call Old Film Row. Inside the little area are 15 buildings built during the 1920s and 1930s by big film studios, ranging from MGM to Universal Pictures to Warner Bros.

In those days, most cities contained “film rowsâ€
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Old Film Row plan

Post by Thrillcekr »

You know seeing that picture with that Hollywood style star on the sidewalk gives me another idea for that area. Maybe they should construct something somewhere in that area with a list of famous Kansas Citians. Not necessarily a walk but maybe something marble wth a brass plaque. I'm sure there would be plenty of good ideas out there about how to do something like that.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Old Film Row plan

Post by dangerboy »

Thrillcekr wrote:You know seeing that picture with that Hollywood style star on the sidewalk gives me another idea for that area. Maybe they should construct something somewhere in that area with a list of famous Kansas Citians. Not necessarily a walk but maybe something marble wth a brass plaque. I'm sure there would be plenty of good ideas out there about how to do something like that.
Have you seen the Walk of Stars? It's Walk of Fame knockoff in Barney Allis Plaza, with stars for local sports heros. It's not much, but it's a start and could be expanded to other fields of noteriaty.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Old Film Row plan

Post by FangKC »

I think it's a good idea overall. Creating a unique identity for those blocks will make them more desirable for attracting tenants and retail like restaurants and bars, i.e. "located in the Crossroads on/near Old Film Row."

The area is already being renovated organically without a lot of City support. Hopefully by creating a historic district, the City follow through on repairing the sidewalks and curbs.

Generally in most cities, creating a historic district causes the value of the buildings within the district to rise faster than they would without it. It also can result in higher rents paid by tenants to landlords, which will encourage additional renovations of neighboring buildings.
There is no fifth destination.