One Kansas City Place

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Jhawkman02
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

One Kansas City Place

Post by Jhawkman02 »

I just noticed this the other day, or maybe I am blind and it has been there all the time, but there is now a red, blue and white lights around the top of the building. When did this go up? I really like it.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

One Kansas City Place

Post by paisstat »

Those lights have been there for as long as I can remember, but since last week they look brighter, much brighter in fact. I'm not sure if they changed the bulbs or the covers or what. Either way, the red, white and blue would be fine for the 4th of July, but not year round, They should be changed to all red for valentines day, green for st patricks day, green and red for christmas, rainbow for gay pride, etc... Having them glow red, white and blue year round makes the city look very unsophisticated.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

One Kansas City Place

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not sure about unsophisticated but I would like to see them change more often. They used to change them on a regular basis....red & yellow during Chiefs season, changed them to the color of the Big12 football teams in 2000. Originally they were all white then since 9/11 they have been red white and blue.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

One Kansas City Place

Post by staubio »

Well, keep in mind that that the major tenant for 1KCP is Bank of America. The colors are their corporate colors just as much as they are a patriotic theme.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

One Kansas City Place

Post by AllThingsKC »

staubio wrote:Well, keep in mind that that the major tenant for 1KCP is Bank of America. The colors are their corporate colors just as much as they are a patriotic theme.
Good point. But, I still miss the red and yellow for the Chiefs or Blue and white for the Royals.
KC is the way to be!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

One Kansas City Place

Post by FangKC »

Yes, the lights are much brighter. I can see them from my windows at night, and they are much, much brighter than they have been since I've lived downtown. The change occurred about three weeks ago. I love the lights on 1KCP, Transamerica, and Commerce Bank especially when it's foggy at night.

I was driving south down H-169 the other night and the lights on top of 1KCP created this effect where it looked like a spaceship had landed on the top of the building.
There is no fifth destination.
KCghettoboi
Strip mall
Strip mall

One Kansas City Place

Post by KCghettoboi »

I would like to see the lights in neon yellow.

I would be nice if they also lit the sides of One KC Place up at night? Maybe in green?
www.outlawstoughcrowd.com/phpbb

La región de la ciudad de Kansas crecerá y prosperará excedente los años que vienen, y se convertirá encendido del mejor del cercano oeste
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

One Kansas City Place

Post by FangKC »

The upper setback is lit up at night with white lights shooting upward to light the top section. The floodlights are on the corners.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

One Kansas City Place

Post by Tosspot »

Has anyone besides myself observed what an abominable piece of crap One KC Place is on it's north end on 12th Street? The architects were obviously going for a dramatic skyline addition, but didn't bother to consider the street-level scene-- typical of the eighties.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

One Kansas City Place

Post by FangKC »

Doesn't it look like some kind of air shaft coming up from the garage?
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

One Kansas City Place

Post by KansasCityCraka »

what are you guys talking about? I don't see anything wrong. If you can snap a photo please.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

One Kansas City Place

Post by Long »

Tosspot wrote:Has anyone besides myself observed what an abominable piece of crap One KC Place is on it's north end on 12th Street? The architects were obviously going for a dramatic skyline addition, but didn't bother to consider the street-level scene-- typical of the eighties.

Try the north side of City Center Square sometime. If you think One KCP is bad. . . .

It would be nice to see One KCP, City Center, Transamerica and 1201 Walnut reworked at street level. That would go a long ways toward improving the streetscapes-- a lot more than putting in landscaping, benches and nice lamp posts.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

One Kansas City Place

Post by Critical_Mass »

Not to mention the Double Tree Hotel. It is criminal how it treats the street on it's north face.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

One Kansas City Place

Post by staubio »

...and the east side of the Marriot, or most of Bartle.

There are tons of examples.
shinatoo
Ambassador

One Kansas City Place

Post by shinatoo »

Has there been a thred on how horrable and tacky lighting display on the south side of the Marriot is?

However I did kind of not hate it during the Big 12 Tourney.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

One Kansas City Place

Post by tat2kc »

Yep, there was a thread on the lighting, but I think most people like it! As for the street level atmosphere of the downtown buildings, yes it sucks. I think that there are many many retail and food places downtown that people simply don't know about because they are turned inward primarily to serve the towers. Downtown would appear to be much more vibrant if the street levels of the downtown buildings were reconfigured to allow for a more inviting scene, with seating and signage and glass that is clear so you can see some activity inside. Hell, there was a story in todays's business section, Cityscape, about a jeweler that has been in business for 60 years downtown, and they've just moved from the second floor of the Bryant building to a space at 10th and baltimore. Without some word of mouth, or this article in the Star, I would have never known it was there! How many other retail establishments downtown are suffering because of the poor layout of the street levels of this buildings.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

One Kansas City Place

Post by BVC »

If there are lessons learned about the streetscape disasters, then oh well. Luckily there aren't that many buildings downtown with these issues as a result of the suburban booms of the 70's, 80's, and 90's.

Again, I think the lessons have been learned and we'll see our first example with streetscape considerations in the new H&R Block mini-tower...I hope. The 00's and beyond are the urban core's time...again, I hope.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

One Kansas City Place

Post by Maitre D »

paisstat wrote:....They should be changed to all red for valentines day, green for st patricks day, green and red for christmas, rainbow for gay pride, etc... Having them glow red, white and blue year round makes the city look very unsophisticated.
AHAHHAHAHHAHAHA!

Oh, OH MY GOD!!!! My sides are splittin' !!!

BWAAAAA_HAAAAA! Seriuosly dude, thanks. I needed the laugh. That nutty idea would go over like a pregnant pole-vaulter.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

One Kansas City Place

Post by dangerboy »

Town Pavilion tried to fix the streetscape problem in the late 1990s and failed. They opened holes on the ground level at Main Street for several stores... Bagel & Bagel, a deli, a travel agent, and a juice cafe. All of them folded within 3 years. All within a block of the four biggest office buildings in the city.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

One Kansas City Place

Post by Gladstoner »

pittsburghparoyal wrote:
paisstat wrote:....They should be changed to all red for valentines day, green for st patricks day, green and red for christmas, rainbow for gay pride, etc... Having them glow red, white and blue year round makes the city look very unsophisticated.
AHAHHAHAHHAHAHA!

Oh, OH MY GOD!!!! My sides are splittin' !!!

BWAAAAA_HAAAAA! Seriuosly dude, thanks. I needed the laugh. That nutty idea would go over like a pregnant pole-vaulter.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the thought that crossed my mind when I read that was how a powder blue on 1KCP would be nice for the Hades Iceskating Festival.
A fool and your money are soon united.