Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I thought they were going to try bypass Missouri and just get it all from private fundings and the Feds?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:32 pm I thought they were going to try bypass Missouri and just get it all from private fundings and the Feds?
RAISE grants are decided at the highest levels of federal government -- Sec. Buttigieg and President Biden. Look at the winning planning projects for clues on why we didn't win. Remember that our application was not to build, just to plan.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:02 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:32 pm I thought they were going to try bypass Missouri and just get it all from private fundings and the Feds?
RAISE grants are decided at the highest levels of federal government -- Sec. Buttigieg and President Biden. Look at the winning planning projects for clues on why we didn't win. Remember that our application was not to build, just to plan.
Do we have any recourse for this?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It’s also worth noting that it was only for $2.4 million to plan.

I know this is really confusing, but I think people are getting a bunch of different transportation programs confused.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Hopefully, Dave will explain all of it.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:40 pm Hopefully, Dave will explain all of it.
I'm just wondering if there are other parts of the newly minted infrastructure bill we can get money for the cap at.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:01 pm
FangKC wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:40 pm Hopefully, Dave will explain all of it.
I'm just wondering if there are other parts of the newly minted infrastructure bill we can get money for the cap at.
It literally was signed a day or two ago. There are plenty of opportunities to get funding, through both federal and Missouri funds.

This was an application made for a specific program to get funds to study long ago.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

None of this changes the fact that it still needs to be designed and coordinated with MoDOT, regardless of the new funding opportunities. Again, the only thing that exists now is a concept and cost estimate.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:42 pm None of this changes the fact that it still needs to be designed and coordinated with MoDOT, regardless of the new funding opportunities. Again, the only thing that exists now is a concept and cost estimate.
How are we gonna get it designed?

At this point someone should just put up and do the designs atleast.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Today's 'The Daily' podcast is relevant for this conversation:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/23/podc ... ckage.html
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Still, Moncke said he is hopeful that the new federal infrastructure bill can support the project, which has been estimated as a $160 million investment.

"The private sector has already responded. ... We've raised the money we need privately," he said, though he did not specify sources. "We really just need the public side of it, so (the infrastructure bill) is huge. This is a game-changer."

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... rowth.html
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:47 pm
Still, Moncke said he is hopeful that the new federal infrastructure bill can support the project, which has been estimated as a $160 million investment.

"The private sector has already responded. ... We've raised the money we need privately," he said, though he did not specify sources. "We really just need the public side of it, so (the infrastructure bill) is huge. This is a game-changer."

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... rowth.html
How long until they've spent all the infrastructure funds? Does it take a couple years?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the spending is spread out over 10 years is it not?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

You guys really think we're going to see a dime from the "Infrastructure" bill for this? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess that's what happens when you only read the name of the bill, not the content. GL.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

im2kull wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:41 pm You guys really think we're going to see a dime from the "Infrastructure" bill for this? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess that's what happens when you only read the name of the bill, not the content. GL.
I mean, yeah, maybe. There is a part of the bill they could draw from for this that has $1 bil.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Rumors ramping up that there’s a big infrastructure announcement coming soon from the city. Hoping this includes news about the cap.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:26 am Rumors ramping up that there’s a big infrastructure announcement coming soon from the city. Hoping this includes news about the cap.
Perhaps tied to the unveiling of the next KCMO budget? That usually happens in early February.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:03 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:26 am Rumors ramping up that there’s a big infrastructure announcement coming soon from the city. Hoping this includes news about the cap.
Perhaps tied to the unveiling of the next KCMO budget? That usually happens in early February.
Likely, I think there was a budget meeting today. I was shocked to learn recently that KC needs over 1 billion in sidewalk repairs alone.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:04 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:03 pm
Likely, I think there was a budget meeting today. I was shocked to learn recently that KC needs over 1 billion in sidewalk repairs alone.
Would they announce the cap at the budget meeting in February or sometime before that?