Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by Riverite »

dnweava wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:34 pm So I've been working on building KC in the game Cities Skylines. Here is my before and after removing the north loop and building a park over the south and east loop highways.

https://i.imgur.com/VL4ruuh.jpg

Would love to see this for a pedestrianized main street
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

What is the engineering for this going to be like? Its not like just some I beams slotted into the current retaining walls. Will they have to take out the current retaining walls? The weight this thing will have to carry is tremendous. Not just the structure, but all the earth for plantings, all the adornments. baubles and pavilions. And may have to at times carry the load of half a million people celebrating a Super Bowl. Kansas City has a poor record of maintaining parks on top of structures such as Barney Allis and City Hall.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:50 pm What is the engineering for this going to be like? Its not like just some I beams slotted into the current retaining walls. Will they have to take out the current retaining walls? The weight this thing will have to carry is tremendous. Not just the structure, but all the earth for plantings, all the adornments. baubles and pavilions. And may have to at times carry the load of half a million people celebrating a Super Bowl. Kansas City has a poor record of maintaining parks on top of structures such as Barney Allis and City Hall.
The bridges have a set of columns in the retaining wall and a set in the highway median.

Fire protection and ventilation are what I assume are tricky this this build. You also have clearance issues west of Baltimore.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:50 pm What is the engineering for this going to be like? Its not like just some I beams slotted into the current retaining walls. Will they have to take out the current retaining walls? The weight this thing will have to carry is tremendous. Not just the structure, but all the earth for plantings, all the adornments. baubles and pavilions. And may have to at times carry the load of half a million people celebrating a Super Bowl. Kansas City has a poor record of maintaining parks on top of structures such as Barney Allis and City Hall.
The main structure is a bridge, not much more complex than that.
For ventilation tunnel ventilation is well known and 3-4 bocks is nothing. Probably not necessary given the short length or can be done mostly passive with ventilation towers and fans at a few spots.

There's photos available showing one being built so you can see the process.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/modot/cams
Look for CityArchRiver, click on the date in the upper left. Go back to May 2014 to see the foundation work and work forward a week or two at a time. The support structure and beams were built by July 2014

The finished design with path and plantings was done around Nov 2015

They followed the same method to build the new Main St Bridge and the streetcar is 78,000 pounds empty. With 150 people add another 30,000 or so.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

dnweava wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:34 pm So I've been working on building KC in the game Cities Skylines. Here is my before and after removing the north loop and building a park over the south and east loop highways.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40548501/th ... heir-ideas
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FWIW- we talked about earlier on here that this project was hinging on federal infrastructure bill passing.

Good news- House just passed the $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill and it's on its way to be signed by Pres. Biden. The money may be in there?

P.S.- they're going to proceed on the reconciliation bill (part 2) now.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Does reconciliation have anything related to transit or highway removal? I thought most of the juice is in the infra bill
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:16 pm Does reconciliation have anything related to transit or highway removal? I thought most of the juice is in the infra bill
I had heard that they might add more highway removal money in reconciliation. They had $20 bil originally, but it got stripped down to $1 bil by the GOP. So, now they might be able to restore a good chunk of that.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

FangKC wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:09 pm

https://www.fastcompany.com/40548501/th ... heir-ideas
That is so cool. Hope you share with us again when you have created your vision of DT KC!
Any way to convince you to drop the stadium around my old stomping grounds at 17th and Washington?
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCKev wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:18 pm Any way to convince you to drop the stadium around my old stomping grounds at 17th and Washington?
Have you met the Westside? :roll:

Back to the topic at hand: https://cityscenekc.com/mayor-bullish-a ... -proposal/
Lucas said the strong local support, along with the willingness from the private sector to contribute to the project, is helping make the city’s case in Washington.

The Downtown Council, which is leading the effort, has established a steering committee and has met with federal, state and local officials including Sen. Roy Blunt, Gov. Mike Parson and Jackson County Executive Frank White.

The mayor also said the plan has support from the Heavy Constructors Association of Kansas City.

Lucas said the Cordish Co. and the owners of the new Loews Convention Hotel are willing to invest in the project. A South Loop deck and park would greatly benefit both the hotel and the apartment buildings developed by Cordish.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This thing is as good as done. Let's start programming it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:55 am This thing is as good as done. Let's start programming it.
Except that it's not. There's no design for construction, only a concept. The RAISE grant would fund the needed work to advance to construction. Given the complexity and the number of partners (MoDOT, in particular) I wouldn't expect one shovel to turn for at least two years.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I stand by what I said. Too many interested parties for this not to happen.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:09 am I stand by what I said. Too many interested parties for this not to happen.
Are there press releases showing these parties?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:09 am I stand by what I said. Too many interested parties for this not to happen.
Article seemed to say Lucas thinks design and construction funds will happen this year
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that it will happen, just that it's way too early to program a space that hasn't been designed or funded for construction.

I also don't think this is the most obvious KC candidate for the Reconnecting Communities program (that would be US-71, which clearly divided a community of color and is currently generating an abnormal amount of roadway injuries and fatalities). Remember that these are competitive programs.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

If this gets federal infrastructure funds I can see Republicans using it against Democrats. Bill was marketed as rebuilding crumbling roads and failing bridges. This project is something new and not a necessary transportation need. Could be called pork barrel and benefiting big business.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:12 pm
I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that it will happen, just that it's way too early to program a space that hasn't been designed or funded for construction.

I also don't think this is the most obvious KC candidate for the Reconnecting Communities program (that would be US-71, which clearly divided a community of color and is currently generating an abnormal amount of roadway injuries and fatalities). Remember that these are competitive programs.
That was more in jest for message board fodder. More fun than thinking about funding.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:12 pm

Has there been any 71 study? Trying to picture how that would work. I agree with you though.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:16 pm If this gets federal infrastructure funds I can see Republicans using it against Democrats. Bill was marketed as rebuilding crumbling roads and failing bridges. This project is something new and not a necessary transportation need. Could be called pork barrel and benefiting big business.
Bill can be used for new capacity so if it was really about maintenance they could have blocked that.