Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by dukuboy1 »

Eon Blue wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:28 pm
Walker wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:29 pm Image

Doesn't look like anyone pointed this out. Loews is showing a covered skywalk headed north over the park to what appears to be an elevator shaft. Looks like it would connect to the existing tube that leads in from the convention center
Why does everybody hate Walnut? :(
I like Walnut, but I'm biased as my office is located along that street :) However I have not been there for months but excited to get back down there. I agree that Walnut needs to stay an open street through the freeway cap park. Make it a street to be able to block off for events but otherwise leave open. I mean they just redid it in the River Market. I think it will be a key connector for sure for Crossroads to River Market, just like Main
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:54 am
smh wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:41 am Also the crisscross paths are just absolute shit design. People want to walk, and they'd love to walk through greenspace, but they want to walk where they're going generally speaking, and the odds of it being along a fucking helix is quite unlikely. JUST GIVE ME A STRAIGHT FUCKING PATH.

ahem. merry christmas to all.
Isn't that the point of the sidewalks that line the park?
Touche. I just suppose it would be nice to be able to stroll to my destination without having to be on the curb with cars. But point taken.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Also, not sure we've discussed the approach to Wyandotte. This would be an excellent piece of public space. Great for sitting and watching people, sledding in winter, acting as the seating for movies. Tons of opportunity and very little park level infrastructure required. Just a nice hill and some steps I suppose. (And the substructure to hold it up over the highway....)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I really like the Wyandotte to Baltimore block and the opportunities a sloping space would provide.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Can someone explain why we need both North and South Truman Rd?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:36 pm Can someone explain why we need both North and South Truman Rd?
Both are one way streets. Not enough funds to combine them into a single road.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:38 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:36 pm Can someone explain why we need both North and South Truman Rd?
So millions will be spent decking the highway and we can't find a miniscule fraction to change a road to two way? I'd much rather the redundant road space be used to expand the park.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah it would take a little work on the west side assuming you use the southern leg to turn it into two way but it's not insurmountable. Definitely should be part of the discussion.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:41 pm
normalthings wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:38 pm
So millions will be spent decking the highway and we can't find a miniscule fraction to change a road to two way? I'd much rather the redundant road space be used to expand the park.
Iirc, condensing it down into a single road would require (1) a new bridge to connect the on/off ramps by Bartle hall and (2) extra strong deck to support part of the new road.

This rendering from the 2009 study shows this. In the back there is a crossover bridge from the 670 exit ramp to Truman road north. The east traffic flow would be above 670 on a portion of the deck

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's assuming we need all those ramps under battle which I think needs challenged.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

The offramp from 35 already has to stop at Broadway. Why do we have to flow traffic north at Baltimore with some sweeping curve? Also, I believe the idea was that you could use the land under S Truman to build and that selling it would fund part of the construction of the decking. It would face the new park and probably would bring a good return.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:58 am The offramp from 35 already has to stop at Broadway. Why do we have to flow traffic north at Baltimore with some sweeping curve? Also, I believe the idea was that you could use the land under S Truman to build and that selling it would fund part of the construction of the decking. It would face the new park and probably would bring a good return.
KC land just isn’t that valuable. You’d get a million or so per block. Not worth it if you have to upgrade the deck and/or build the sweeping curve. I assume the sweeping curve is being required by MODOT whos permission is needed to build the park.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:15 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:58 am The offramp from 35 already has to stop at Broadway. Why do we have to flow traffic north at Baltimore with some sweeping curve? Also, I believe the idea was that you could use the land under S Truman to build and that selling it would fund part of the construction of the decking. It would face the new park and probably would bring a good return.
KC land just isn’t that valuable. You’d get a million or so per block. Not worth it if you have to upgrade the deck and/or build the sweeping curve. I assume the sweeping curve is being required by MODOT whos permission is needed to build the park.
14th and Wyandotte listed for $7.4M (not that they'll get that), but these lots would be facing the park, directly on the streetcar line and between Crossroads and DT. Not sure I could imagine a better location. Even if you just got $10M for the three lots, that would be enough to pay for consolidating Truman and would give a better feel for the park. Retail would be available directly to the park instead of being on an island.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:12 pm New renderings. Much higher resolution versions here: https://www.ojb.com/project/kansas-city-deck-park

I wanted to bump these up. These renderings show in good detail what is being discussed.

1. Small and large dog runs with what appears to be a small building between the two. This is the public dog run proposal.
2. Pavilion with green space
3. Many trees for shade and ham-mocking
4. Spaces for food trucks and seating for patrons
5. Signature kids playground
6. Permanent covered areas for shaded dinning.
7. Food & beverage or retails spaces
8. Water features.
9. Art, sculptures, pretty landscapes, etc
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:16 pm
I wanted to bump these up. These renderings show in good detail what is being discussed.

1. Small and large dog runs with what appears to be a small building between the two. This is the public dog run proposal.
2. Pavilion with green space
3. Many trees for shade and ham-mocking
4. Spaces for food trucks and seating for patrons
5. Signature kids playground
6. Permanent covered areas for shaded dinning.
7. Food & beverage or retails spaces
8. Water features.
9. Art, sculptures, pretty landscapes, etc
Build it! Also let's build the east end in such a way that we can add onto it as needed (like when East Village finally appears).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A "bean" level of public art would be perfect here.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Would love to see renderings with the actual buildings adjoining shown. Its hard to get a sense of scale and how a 4 block long mall would appear with buildings walling it in.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

looks awesome, and I would love to have some kind of "art attraction" like The Bean in that area. The renderings do give it a Millennium Park feel. I also like the terraced elevations as you move up toward the convention hall. Overall it is awesome and could be a real statement point for downtown.

Curious that they don't have Walnut going through, but I guess you have to adjust some of those things. As long as they make some improvements and such along Truman road it should not be a big deal.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Re: the discussion going on in the Two Light thread, dog park or no the whole thing is just gonna be covered in dog poop anyways
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I’m pro dog park, I just want it all open to everyone. If cordish wants to offer it as an amenity to their residents and other people pay a monthly fee, I’m completely fine with that.

I just don’t want this to become cordish park.