Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by WoodDraw »

I hate the idea of a cordish only area and won't support it.

I could get behind cordish offering it for free to their residents and the city charging a fee to everyone else.

I know it's semantics, but I think it's important.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:03 pm I hate the idea of a cordish only area and won't support it.

I could get behind cordish offering it for free to their residents and the city charging a fee to everyone else.

What's the issue?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If Cordish wants to pay for it all then they can do what they wish with it but if city funds are also used they can't just do what they please with it. That's my stance.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:38 pm If Cordish wants to pay for it all then they can do what they wish with it but if city funds are also used they can't just do what they please with it. That's my stance.
What's the difference if the city pays for it all and than sells 2 acres back to Cordish? If Cordish puts in 50+ million or is the largest shareholder in this project, it doesn't seem unreasonable to allow them a few acres or less utilize for a resident only dog park. Cordish has to maintain that dog park, so it makes no sense for it to be public.

From my understanding, this project will not happen without Cordish money.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

If Cordish were to pay for it all, there would have to be some revenue generating aspects. Like a Bar-K type dog park open to everyone for a day/season pass. I don't think anyone wants to see a nice park built and it be occupied by 2 or 3 business.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I'd think having a brand new park directly across from their properties would be valuable enough but what do I know
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:42 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:38 pm If Cordish wants to pay for it all then they can do what they wish with it but if city funds are also used they can't just do what they please with it. That's my stance.
What's the difference if the city pays for it all and than sells 2 acres back to Cordish? If Cordish puts in 50+ million or is the largest shareholder in this project, it doesn't seem unreasonable to allow them a few acres or less utilize for a resident only dog park. Cordish has to maintain that dog park, so it makes no sense for it to be public.

I'm up for listening to proposals. I just think if city funds are going into it (my tax money) then it has to have a public availability aspect to it. Just like any other civic space it would be sometimes closed off for private events with permitting.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:48 pm If Cordish were to pay for it all, there would have to be some revenue generating aspects. Like a Bar-K type dog park open to everyone for a day/season pass. I don't think anyone wants to see a nice park built and it be occupied by 2 or 3 business.
Bar-K lacks a doggy day-care. Something like that could do extremely well here.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:53 pm

I'm up for listening to proposals. I just think if city funds are going into it (my tax money) then it has to have a public availability aspect to it. Just like any other civic space it would be sometimes closed off for private events with permitting.
What I envisioned from DColeKC's remarks is Cordish will fund 1/3 of the project in exchange for a corner being dedicated to a private dog park. Don't they already have one on the MoDot ROW that would become part of the park? The vast majority of the space open to all with a small private section seems like an amazing deal when the alternative is no space for anyone.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:52 pm I'd think having a brand new park directly across from their properties would be valuable enough but what do I know
I completely agree but how much value does that add? If they put in $50 million, what's the instant return? It's not like they need anymore incentives to get people to rent units. As a current Two Light resident, I'd be upset losing our private dog park. As a downtown resident, I'd rather not have dogs shitting all over the park. Cordish will insist on maintaining it to prevent it from neglect.

I like the concept of 95% of it being open to the public with the exception of special permitted events. I do think some events that take place on Grand can be moved there, like say Beer Fest but not all of them. Many of those festivals are designed to bring people down to spend money at the districts tenants. The park would be too disconnected to eliminate all events on Grand.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:56 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:53 pm

What I envisioned from DColeKC's remarks is Cordish will fund 1/3 of the project in exchange for a corner being dedicated to a private dog park. Don't they already have one on the MoDot ROW that would become part of the park? The vast majority of the space open to all with a small private section seems like an amazing deal when the alternative is no space for anyone.
Agreed. That sounds reasonable especially given the aspect of making space where there is none now like you stated.

Would be nice if it was big enough to allow for some public use of that dog park like bar-k is now with memberships given there really isn't much like that in this part of downtown but I don't own a dog so I don't have a dog in this fight :lol:
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

If we're letting Cordish have private property here, I think there's probably a higher use than a dog park. How about a small restaurant, like the Bryant Park Grill in NYC?

Ideally, even if Cordish contributes to funding the park, there wouldn't be a private element. If there absolutely HAS to be a private element to pull this off, whatever. I can live with it. But if there's a way to make it all public, we absolutely need to pursue it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:06 pm Ideally, even if Cordish contributes to funding the park, there wouldn't be a private element. If there absolutely HAS to be a private element to pull this off, whatever. I can live with it. But if there's a way to make it all public, we absolutely need to pursue it.
The current KCMO leadership will not pursue a 100% publically funded project.

Cordish is providing funding and giving up their existing dog park. I don't see the problem with it being replaced by a new one.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:22 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:03 pm I hate the idea of a cordish only area and won't support it.

What's the issue?
For me, it's just the principle of it. I don't think there should be a private area for only one light.

Offer it to the residents for free and charge everyone else and I'm fine with it. But I don't think there should be private amenities in that important of an area in our city.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

If we can get a concrete confirmation that the addition of this loop cap would reduce closures of Grand, I'd be more amenable to converting Walnut to a pedestrian and bike-only path through the park (and maybe farther).
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i'm picturing florence's santarosa bistrot opposite two light: nice little airy place to grab a snack, a drink, or a meal that spills out onto a big green area with a dog run. potentially a convertible indoor/outdoor space so can play more like a walk up counter to enjoy around the park when it's nice out or for events, and then a canopy for shade/ enclosure for cold to permit year round use.

can't embed because google maps, but:

park in the background
indoor/outdoor
converted to pure outdoor

of all the places my wife has fainted—and there are many!!—this is my favorite one for the loop cap. please feel free to forward this great idea to the cordish people.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Eon Blue wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:59 pm If we can get a concrete confirmation that the addition of this loop cap would reduce closures of Grand, I'd be more amenable to converting Walnut to a pedestrian and bike-only path through the park (and maybe farther).
I have not heard this and will not believe it until it is codified in ordinance.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Eon Blue wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:59 pm If we can get a concrete confirmation that the addition of this loop cap would reduce closures of Grand, I'd be more amenable to converting Walnut to a pedestrian and bike-only path through the park (and maybe farther).
Even with a park, there will always be a need to close grand. Obviously for every T-Mobile Center event but also 3-5 times a year for events and festivals. It’s worth it for the minor inconvenience.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Minor is a relative term
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:31 am Minor is a relative term
Festivals on grand drive revenue (Tax dollars), bring people downtown and enhance urban living. I don’t feel sorry for motorists needing to spend 2 more minutes in their cars to get where they’re going. I don’t feel bad for few bus riders on saturdays either. I’m biased because I know all those people who put on the events on Grand and their intention is good.