Screenland Theater?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
scooterj
Ambassador

Screenland Theater?

Post by scooterj »

Anyone have any info on this? According to their web site it's opening in June at 1656 Washington.

http://www.screenlandkc.com/
Last edited by scooterj on Fri May 07, 2004 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Screenland Theater?

Post by KCPowercat »

I thought it was already open. It's west of I-35....I thought they used it more for special events than actual movies. Don't really know any more info, just know of it.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Screenland Theater?

Post by staubio »

Website says it is "Coming June 2004" so perhaps this is the re-emergence of something that has been there. It looks like it will indeed be a movie theater.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Screenland Theater?

Post by KCLofts »

The building used to be a cold storage facility. It was converted to office space a year or two ago and they have been working on the theatre since then.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Screenland Theater?

Post by carfreekc »

Looks like it was open for the KC Jubilee a couple of weeks ago, although I didn't make it over there for any of the screenings.

http://www.kcjubilee.org/2004Jubilee/ju ... hedule.php

I was kind of hoping someone had gone to one of those and could tell us what the theatre was like.
Screenland
Surface Lot

Screenland

Post by Screenland »

I was just directed to this discussion by a friend of mine. You are all correct. Screenand is indeed an Event Center, Movie Theatre and a former Ice House. The theatre is a 150 seat motion picture theatre that is capable of running both 35mm film and digital video projection. We did host the Filmmaker's Jubilee in April and we have been running some films in preparation of a June opening. We will feature films that are not getting play in the Kansas City market, as well as festival films and some classics. We will operate Thursday through Sunday, though we will be renting the facility to private groups on occasion. We can seat 300 for dinner and have held events for over 500 people. Our website, Screenland.com will be fully functional later this month. You can visit it now and join our movie e-mail list. We are located one block west of 17th and Broadway, in downtown Kansas City.

Butch Rigby
Owner, Screenland
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Screenland Theater?

Post by KCPowercat »

added to the downtown directory....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Screenland Theater?

Post by trailerkid »

This will be a great asset to have such a venue close to the Convention Center/Tourist District as well as the Crossroads Arts District. I hope the plan is on indie movies...and please some offbeat stuff that isn't in mass distribution. It's always neat to open up the NY Times and see all the ads for foreign and indie movies that never even make it to the Midwest-- we need to change that.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Screenland Theater?

Post by staubio »

Screenland is hosting an event for Arts Alive. Here are the details I was sent from a teammate of mine on the MARC Bicycle Commuter Challenge:
I am on the board of Arts Alive and I am promoting the Arts Alive fundraiser on June 5th. It is called Artrageous and will be held at Screenland at 16th and Washington. The cost is only $30 and it includes food from local venues such as D'Bronx, Potpie and Webster House, drinks and cool live performances including Rah Booty, the performance art cheerleading squad from The Kansas City Art Institute. There will also be an auction of specially interpreted Mona Lisas created by different Kansas City visual artists. It will be a cool event and pretty cheap.

Arts Alive is an organization that promotes the visual and performing arts in Greater Kansas City. For a nominal fee, the group meets for food and drink, then attends a play or dance performance, listen to a symphony or an artist talk about his/her work, take a tour through a gallery collection or whatever is on the current month's agenda.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Screenland Theater?

Post by trailerkid »

Support Screenland!!!!

Screenland is opening on Friday, July 2 for movie business. The Polish film Big Animal ( http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:210836~C )will be the premiere movie showing. Also on tap: Evil Dead 2, Trailer Trash, and Bus 174.

More info on times here: http://www.screenland.com/theatre/index.htm

Screenland is a major step forward for downtown and an example of what we need.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Screenland Theater?

Post by trailerkid »

"Shaolin Soccer" begins today...positive review by Butler today in the Star on page E3
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Screenland Theater?

Post by chrizow »

Shaolin Soccer is absurdly amazing. you can rent it on DVD. it's a cult classic. think "Ladybugs" (the soccer movie) mixed with cartoonish kung fu action. truly a sight to behold.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Screenland Theater?

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Somebody wanna go check out Shaolin Soccer this weekend?
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Screenland Theater?

Post by Brooksider »

Monday night they are showing "Outfoxed; Rupert Murdoch's War On Journalism" at 7.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Screenland Theater?

Post by trailerkid »

Screenland, the little theater that can

By ROBERT W. BUTLER
The Kansas City Star

Former actress Carolyn Wheeler lived for years in the moviegoer's mecca of New York City. But on a recent afternoon she emerged from the small Screenland Theatre at 17th and Washington and declared she'd never seen anything like it — not even in the Big Apple.

“Fantastic. Just fantastic,â€
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Screenland Theater?

Post by MidWestSider »

Drink beer. Eat pizza. Watch the UFC pay-per-view event like never before: in HD on a 27 foot screen!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

screenland crossroads is under new management. the building hasn't changed hands, just the operations.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: screenland crossroads is under new management. the building hasn't changed hands, just the operations.
This isn't Butch's operation anymore?
rokhok
Pad site
Pad site

Post by rokhok »

DaveKCMO wrote: screenland crossroads is under new management. the building hasn't changed hands, just the operations.
Do we know why?  I was thinking about having an event there later this year but if things aren't stable.. I will look elsewhere...

Any more details?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

rokhok wrote: Do we know why?  I was thinking about having an event there later this year but if things aren't stable.. I will look elsewhere...

Any more details?
http://www.kcconfidential.com/?p=15539
As for what to expect, ?As far as the theater goes, nothing is going to change,? Matthews says. ?I?m basically franchising it from Butch, so the name will remain the same.?
http://www.kcconfidential.com/?p=15546
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag