Fantasy Retrofits: Barney Allis Plaza

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Fantasy Retrofits: Barney Allis Plaza

Post by FangKC »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:14 am I'm tired of the garage base - tenants above model. We need to be wrapping garages in usable building space so you don't see them and life is at street level. (Fang that may have been what you meant as Power & Light apartments are like this?)
Yes. Something similar. P&L Apartments are also on about the same-sized parcel.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0986698 ... 8192?hl=en
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I'm having trouble finding what was decided to do with BAP - which version was chosen that would result in the loss of 700+ parking spaces?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I'm having trouble finding what was decided to do with BAP - which version was chosen that would result in the loss of 700+ parking spaces?
Don't believe a plan for BAP has been selected yet. There were several ideas presented by ULI but to the best of my knowledge nothing is officially moving forward.

I assume if the garage deal is completed, it would then open up options for lower cost potential BAP plans...
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I wasn't aware that a final decision had been made, either, but this news report says that the redesign will 'eliminate most of the parking beneath the square.' It wouldn't be the first time that a station mis-reported something...

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/kc ... d-broadway
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I believe as well that the decision is that an underground rebuild is too expensive, beyond that no specific usage of the square has moved forward.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes that was the justification that redoing underground parking is way more expensive than doing a garage and then less underground parking at BAP
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

Re 1200 Broadway: KC Southern rep spoke up in Business Session to say they have an interest in a partnership w/ City to build more than parking there.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

bspecht wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:37 pm Re 1200 Broadway: KC Southern rep spoke up in Business Session to say they have an interest in a partnership w/ City to build more than parking there.
Which means they’re going to ask the city to build the parking for a new building. But you’ll get public access on the weekend!!!!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:47 pm
bspecht wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:37 pm Re 1200 Broadway: KC Southern rep spoke up in Business Session to say they have an interest in a partnership w/ City to build more than parking there.
Which means they’re going to ask the city to build the parking for a new building. But you’ll get public access on the weekend!!!!
That did seem like the preferred option by the council last time around. I wonder if they will build a new tower for themselves and lease out their old one.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Isn't Kansas City Southern also still occupying space in 114 W. 11th Street (NE corner 11th & Wyandotte)? Maybe they want to move everyone out of that building and consolidate into one main building.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Public Garage Plan Revived at 12th & Broadway, Land Deal Back Before Council
A plan to build a city parking garage at 12th and Broadway that was narrowly defeated last month by the Kansas City Council has been resurrected with apparently enough votes now to be approved.
Councilman Eric Bunch, who has introduced a resolution calling for the garage to at least be part of a mixed-use development, believes the purchase ordinance sponsored by Councilwoman Kathryn Shields could be approved by the full Council as early as Thursday.
In a briefing to the City Finance Committee last month, Russ Johnson, chief capital projects officer for the city, estimated the cost of completely rebuilding Barney Allis Plaza and its underground garage at $60- to $70 million.

Johnson said the cost of rebuilding the Barney Allis garage could be reduced substantially if much of the replacement parking was shifted to the proposed conventional garage at 12th and Broadway.

He told the committee in November that a 500-space garage would cost an estimated $21 million.
A smaller, possibly 300-space garage beneath Barney Allis Plaza would reduce the cost of its roof, although the city does still plan to renovate the outdated Plaza itself.
Read more at:

https://cityscenekc.com/public-garage-p ... e-council/
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

h/t: SMH
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:25 pm Isn't Kansas City Southern also still occupying space in 114 W. 11th Street (NE corner 11th & Wyandotte)? Maybe they want to move everyone out of that building and consolidate into one main building.
Their current building will be coming up on 20 years old? It’s time for significant refresh anyways.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

12th and Broadway seems like a perfect fit for a public garage. I don't see much else really working there. Who would want to live across from a massive convention center? Office space will likely go up near the P&L etc, a hotel would work, but the convention center needs a visible garage nearby and that is the best spot to put one. It's good the city got the land.

I also don't really see typical neighborhood urban ground floor retail really working there either. You just don't have enough regular sidewalk activity there. Could wrap up a mcdonalds and quik trip with the garage (hiding the QT with pumps inside the first level of the garage and even having a drive through inside the garage for the McDonalds which could then be a street facing retail from the sidewalk making it better than just a bare garage. I have seen this done in urban areas and it works really well giving an urban area amenities they need without the baggage that typically comes with them (gas station, convenience store, fast food restaurant.) This would serve downtowners and people visiting the convention center well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So if we build a garage there, there will be a lot of pedestrian traffic (in addition to all the new housing blocks west that have next to no retail) and ground level retail would work great.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:18 pm So if we build a garage there, there will be a lot of pedestrian traffic (in addition to all the new housing blocks west that have next to no retail) and ground level retail would work great.
I guess that's true, it's pretty under retailed to the west of there with a lot of residential. City has to do something besides throw up a massive bare bones parking structure there. I was just giving the QT/Fast food idea as an option that seems to work well. Gotta do something corner at 12th and Broadway especially.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think that's a great idea
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

You put an entrance on the SE and NW corner that go straight up to 2 and put retail on the rest of the first floor. It's a farily simple design, Two Light is designed this way
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

GRID wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:05 pm Who would want to live across from a massive convention center?
You could ask would want to live across from the sprint center and yet there's an apartment building across the street
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I guess this testimony basically saved the deal. Warren Erdman!