Fantasy Retrofits: Barney Allis Plaza

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Fantasy Retrofits: Barney Allis Plaza

Post by missingkc »

Yes, the big, empty lot.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

There was a proposal to put a Hilton 800-1000 room on that lot in the early nineties.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

There was a second building at this location as part of the original bid package for the KCS HQ. Not a twin but about the same size.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I thought I remembered something like that, Moderne. And, if I remember correctly, the family had no interest in selling. Of course, that was a long time ago. Perhaps they'll be receptive, now.

Also, if the city acquires the land and decides to build a parking deck, is there a way they could seek a developer to add additional use - office or residential - and offer use of the deck as an incentive?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

One would hope the City would consider some mixed use component. A street-grade restaurant on the corner would be nice. There are several hundred new residents west of Broadway in the new apartment communities. KCS, HNTB, Turner Construction, Americo, and DST employees might like a new eatery in the neighborhood. You'd also get some possible business from the Folly, Music Hall, and on Sundays from nearby churches.

New build would allow infrastructure for a kitchen, whereas many of the older spaces downtown weren't designed to easily adapt for that.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:51 pm One would hope the City would consider some mixed use component. A street-grade restaurant on the corner would be nice. There are several hundred new residents west of Broadway in the new apartment communities. KCS, HNTB, Turner Construction, Americo, and DST employees might like a new eatery in the neighborhood. You'd also get some possible business from the Folly, Music Hall, and on Sundays from nearby churches.

New build would allow infrastructure for a kitchen, whereas many of the older spaces downtown weren't designed to easily adapt for that.
There is no reason to build a standalone garage, even if it includes a minor retail component. As you stated, this should be a mixed-use project including office, and perhaps residential. We can't let them build another Wolf garage.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Actually the Hyatt House atop a garage makes more sense at 12th and Broadway than at 9th and Broadway, then add some apartments on top of that. There would be some good views.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

FangKC wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:58 pm Actually the Hyatt House atop a garage makes more sense at 12th and Broadway than at 9th and Broadway, then add some apartments on top of that. There would be some good views.
I still like the 9th and broadway location. It will have a more unique set of views
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I couldn't watch it all but Hall and Shields were both pushing back in the 12th and Broadway land purchase for a cheap garage. That have me a little bit of faith.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kevin Collison reports the Council has rejected the proposal to purchase the 12th & Broadway lot to build a parking garage.

https://twitter.com/kckansascity/status ... 33153?s=20
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:10 am Kevin Collison reports the Council has rejected the proposal to purchase the 12th & Broadway lot to build a parking garage.

Lucas is right, there are much higher purposes that this lot could be used for.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Great to hear.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:53 am
FangKC wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:10 am Kevin Collison reports the Council has rejected the proposal to purchase the 12th & Broadway lot to build a parking garage.

Lucas is right, there are much higher purposes that this lot could be used for.
This is back but a new resolution requiring mixed use.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If they could put a garage in, and a few floors of residential (like the new Power & LIght Apartments), with two or three small retail spaces and a small lobby, I'd be happy.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I'm tired of the garage base - tenants above model. We need to be wrapping garages in usable building space so you don't see them and life is at street level. (Fang that may have been what you meant as Power & Light apartments are like this?)
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Agreed, for the City to be building the project and be so hyped on affordable housing, at a minimum they could add a small amount of housing above the space.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:14 am I'm tired of the garage base - tenants above model. We need to be wrapping garages in usable building space so you don't see them and life is at street level. (Fang that may have been what you meant as Power & Light apartments are like this?)
How do you propose this is accomplished? Buildings like 1 and 2 light have retail and office on the ground levels. 2,3 and 4 will feature retail or office on the ground level followed by a parking garage, then residential. To wrap an entire parking garage with useable building space, you’d more than double the height of the parking garage. These buildings are also built on smaller footprints which would make for nearly worthless parking garages. The Two Light garage is already very tight.

The next best option is obviously underground garages but not only are they expensive, that means you also end up with much shorter buildings.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:22 pm
Midtownkid wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:14 am I'm tired of the garage base - tenants above model. We need to be wrapping garages in usable building space so you don't see them and life is at street level. (Fang that may have been what you meant as Power & Light apartments are like this?)
How do you propose this is accomplished? Buildings like 1 and 2 light have retail and office on the ground levels. 2,3 and 4 will feature retail or office on the ground level followed by a parking garage, then residential. To wrap an entire parking garage with useable building space, you’d more than double the height of the parking garage. These buildings are also built on smaller footprints which would make for nearly worthless parking garages. The Two Light garage is already very tight.

The next best option is obviously underground garages but not only are they expensive, that means you also end up with much shorter buildings.
Single loaded corridor with units that aren't very deep, but long. May not make sense to do that on a small lot.

If it's not feasible, would be nice if the garage's screening looked more like the rest of the building and less like a screen in front of a garage. City Hall's parking garage did a descent job of this.

First preference would be underground parking! The use of a parking podium as a way to make a building taller is not a thrill to me.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I don’t understand why the city is involved in purchasing and developing this garage space. I know that it reduces the required parking on the BAP retrofit, but why can’t a private developer do this? It was said the city is getting a sweetheart deal, but I know that people don’t just give deals to the city for no reason. Shields pushing this hard. Sounds shady.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

She was against it hard last time around. Someone got paid.