Aladdin--boutique hotel by Holiday Inn

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Aladdin--boutique hotel by Holiday Inn

Post by AllThingsKC »

I think it still looks ok.  It's another sign I can see from my apartment at night!
KC is the way to be!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

PumpkinStalker wrote:   You can't even hardly see the Hotel Aladdin on the side!
there is a LARGE vertically-oriented ALADDIN sign that goes down the west side of the building as well.  each letter is probably three feet tall.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

chrizow wrote: there is a LARGE vertically-oriented ALADDIN sign that goes down the west side of the building as well.  each letter is probably three feet tall.
I think I vaguely remember that.  Hold on...it's coming to me...yep, I remember now, I was the one that snapped the picture and posted it here!

I'm just simply saying, I would prefer a more covert Holiday Inn sign.  Let the gorgeous sign down the front have all the glory.  No sharing!  Put Holiday Inn on the less prominent south side.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I think I vaguely remember that.  Hold on...it's coming to me...yep, I remember now, I was the one that snapped the picture and posted it here!
right you are...i thought the photo posted above (of the smaller A sign and HI sign) represented the only Aladdin sign you had seen.  i didn't see your photo of the vertical sign.

it seems odd to me to have three different signs for the same hotel, but hey whatever...at least "Aladdin" appears to be beating "Holiday Inn" 2:1.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

chrizow wrote: right you are...i thought the photo posted above (of the smaller A sign and HI sign) represented the only Aladdin sign you had seen.  i didn't see your photo of the vertical sign.

it seems odd to me to have three different signs for the same hotel, but hey whatever...at least "Aladdin" appears to be beating "Holiday Inn" 2:1.
:D

True.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

My fave buliding in all of KC.  What a great & timeless design.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

a friend of mine already has his holiday party booked here.

is the restaurant open?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

DaveKCMO wrote: a friend of mine already has his holiday party booked here.

is the restaurant open?
It wasn't Saturday when I wandered in to snap pictures.  Electricians and others were running around doing finishing work.  The spikey lights in my pictures of the restaurant are awesome.  The pics don't do justice.  I wouldn't want to bump my head into one, they're likely to prickle your head to death.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Historic Kansas City Foundation hosted their bi-anual awards ceremony here tonight.  Here a few pics of the inside.

greentara
Pad site
Pad site

Post by greentara »

Shiny!! Gorgeous fixtures, lobby, room..but oy, that carpet in the banquet room is awfully gaudy.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

greentara wrote: Shiny!! Gorgeous fixtures, lobby, room..but oy, that carpet in the banquet room is awfully gaudy.
Completely agree.  Since I'm a preservation oriented KC fanatic, I would have preferred a little more attention to recreating it's original architecture.  The carpet is awful for this place.  Awesome carpet in general, just awful in this setting.  The lobby is incredible and I can't wait for the mezzanine level martini bar to open.  I'll be there frequently after work.  The rooms are about 1/4 the size of new hotel rooms.  No room for a couch even!  Just a bed, chair, desk, bathroom.  According to lore, the rooftop ballroom actually was built as a pool, which didn't last long before it was turned into a ballroom.

And by the way, a lady...last name English...that is a higher up on the management chain there and has worked on three other historic hotels turned boutique would like anyone with stories or history to go talk to her.  She's working on a hotel history.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the martini loft is still not open? i get a different answer every time i ask... next week, next monday, next friday.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Had a little "staycation" in the loop last night. Stayed at the Aladdin, dinner at Savoy, breakfast at Reserve. The Aladdin needs a makeover, since it's clearly still using all of the furnishings from the 2007 renovation (and the window AC units).
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Terra cotta damage has been stabilized with.....something

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:00 pm Terra cotta damage has been stabilized with.....something

caned spray foam
mykn

Post by mykn »

That's going to be fun to remove
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Nasty fix. It was cheap but it is disgusting looking.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

According to Trip Advisor, the hotel is "temporarily" closed until December 30th. It's also no longer on the property list for IHG hotels in KC. Is this property under renovation or is this an extended closure due to corona? Reviews on google appear to be mostly positive (averages out to be 4 star) so I don't assume it closed due to bad reviews from people. The last review on the property is from a month ago.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... souri.html
https://www.ihg.com/destinations/us/en/ ... ity-hotels
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:54 pm According to Trip Advisor, the hotel is "temporarily" closed until December 30th. It's also no longer on the property list for IHG hotels in KC. Is this property under renovation or is this an extended closure due to corona? Reviews on google appear to be mostly positive (averages out to be 4 star) so I don't assume it closed due to bad reviews from people. The last review on the property is from a month ago.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... souri.html
https://www.ihg.com/destinations/us/en/ ... ity-hotels
Unbookable for all dates including next year on all booking websites (Expedia, Hotels.Com,etc)