Hotels downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Hotels downtown

Post by FangKC »

JerseyGuy wrote:FANGKC, where did you live in NYC? I worked there for about five years and lived in the Chelsea area for 1 year before moving out.

You are right about the fact that the Jets stadium will be helpful to the area and hopefully they will extend the 7 line to the Javits Convention Center. I personally don’t like the area that much since I worked a few blocks away for the last two years I was in NYC.
I lived in Manhattan from 1992-2002. I lived in three different apartments: first in the East Village on E. 11th between First and Avenue A; secondly at E. 13th & Second; and finally on the Upper East Side at E. 70th and York Ave. I lived in the apartment on the Upper East Side the longest (6 years); however, I enjoyed living in the East Village more.

The main problem with that area around Javits stems from the fact that it borders the western edge of the garment district, and still remains fairly industrial in feel. In addition, there are the labryinth of entrances and exits to both the Lincoln Tunnel and the Port Authority Bus Terminal between Ninth and Tenth Avenues that create a sort of concrete octopus in that area--breaking up blocks into unusable and unattractive parcels. I seem to recall that there is an old railroad track that runs between Javits and the garment district that used to serve the industries in that area. Some of it is below grade, but not covered.

That area has never been very residential either; however, with the demand for housing in Manhattan, I imagine that neighborhood will eventually be completely redeveloped. With the rebirth of 42nd Street, and development moving westward, this is a distinct possibility. I think the area will also improve once the greenbelt along the Westside Highway is finished.

Are there still plans being discussed to move Madison Square Garden to a new facility next to the new Jets Stadium? I recall Guiliani proposed that.
There is no fifth destination.
JerseyGuy
Pad site
Pad site

Hotels downtown

Post by JerseyGuy »

Are there still plans being discussed to move Madison Square Garden to a new facility next to the new Jets Stadium? I recall Guiliani proposed that.
This is the first I have heard about this. I am not sure if there is even the desire to do that among the residents, especially since they don't want to have the Jets stadium built there. It's not a bad idea, since the Garden is hideous looking, which they built after tearing down a very nice and historic looking Penn Station I might add.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Hotels downtown

Post by FangKC »

Losing the old Penn Station was a huge loss for NYC. What replaced it is nothing short of a cultural crime. I think it's funny that they are now going to move Penn Station across the street to the old Post Office building--an older and more classic structure. So much for modernism. I'm glad they are moving Penn station though, because at least the old Post Office looks like a train station.
There is no fifth destination.
JerseyGuy
Pad site
Pad site

Hotels downtown

Post by JerseyGuy »

I totally forgot about them converting the Post Office into the "new" Penn station. That was fantastic news when I heard it. Last I heard, it was going to take them about five years to complete the project, but I am not sure if they started it as of yet. It will be nice to see when it's done.

Getting back to downtown KC hotels. Do you know if Jury is going to refurbish the Hotel President to look like they way it was back in it's prime?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Hotels downtown

Post by KCPowercat »

Getting back to downtown KC hotels. Do you know if Jury is going to refurbish the Hotel President to look like they way it was back in it's prime?
I know they were going to rehab the old drum room and all the old party places but not sure the overall design would be like it was in the 40's/50's.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Hotels downtown

Post by trailerkid »

Am I the only one concerned you can book any hotel downtown (Westin, Phillips, Hyatt) often for under $100 on weekends?

We stayed at Crown Center after taking Amtrak to Chicago and got a room at the Hyatt for $72-- under $100 for the Westin a month ago and still going that rate.I've gotta think these rates reflect an overall lack of demand in downtown properties. It seems like the Marriott + Crown Plaza + Prez have been holding pretty steady with their rates, but is this not a reason for concern as these now empty rooms generate additional revenue at restaurants and retail? The Hyatt was advertising Sprint Center tourism big time in the property-- which seems a little desparate. Is the CVB still actively pursuing conventions and leisure travel to the city or have they given up? 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

here's what i've paid for weekend hotels in the last year:

- hilton chicago, 3/20-22/09 ($70/night)
- hyatt regency st. louis, 12/6-7/08 ($45/night)
- hilton omaha, 11/15-16/08 ($45/night)
- marriott los angeles downtown, 9/21-22/08 ($70/night)
- marriott des moines, 7/26-27/08 ($60/night)
- millennium hotel st. louis, 6/21-22/08 ($49/night)
- hyatt regency chicago, 5/9-11/08 ($80/night)
- hyatt regency milwaukee, 5/8-9/08 ($55/night)

so i'm not personally concerned.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: here's what i've paid for weekend hotels in the last year:

- hilton chicago, 3/20-22/09 ($70/night)
- hyatt regency st. louis, 12/6-7/08 ($45/night)
- hilton omaha, 11/15-16/08 ($45/night)
- marriott los angeles downtown, 9/21-22/08 ($70/night)
- marriott des moines, 7/26-27/08 ($60/night)
- millennium hotel st. louis, 6/21-22/08 ($49/night)
- hyatt regency chicago, 5/9-11/08 ($80/night)
- hyatt regency milwaukee, 5/8-9/08 ($55/night)

so i'm not personally concerned.
do you think those rates are common?

i'm talking about rates from yahoo travel or the way most people get the rate-- from the hotel itself.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Exactly - that is pretty par for the course in US cities to have significantly cheaper weekend rates than weekday rates, unless you are talking about Vegas.  Most of these hotels were built for business travel - weekend tourist business is mostly afterthought/gravy. 
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I'm not too concerned, either - cheap prices are everywhere, especially on the weekends.  I've been looking at rates in downtown SF for around $90 at really nice 4-star places and as low as $135 in Manhattan.  And check out betterbidding.com and you can see the winning bids that people bid for hotels on Priceline.com throughout the county.  It's a great time to travel and stay somewhere nice on the cheap!
teclis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by teclis »

About three weeks ago my wife and I were in town for a job interview. We stayed at the President and our room was $145 for a friday night. With taxes and parking it came to $185. That's about what I expected to pay for a room in a hotel like the President. It was just a normal, although very nice, room.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

trailerkid wrote: Am I the only one concerned you can book any hotel downtown (Westin, Phillips, Hyatt) often for under $100 on weekends?

We stayed at Crown Center after taking Amtrak to Chicago and got a room at the Hyatt for $72-- under $100 for the Westin a month ago and still going that rate.I've gotta think these rates reflect an overall lack of demand in downtown properties. It seems like the Marriott + Crown Plaza + Prez have been holding pretty steady with their rates, but is this not a reason for concern as these now empty rooms generate additional revenue at restaurants and retail? The Hyatt was advertising Sprint Center tourism big time in the property-- which seems a little desparate. Is the CVB still actively pursuing conventions and leisure travel to the city or have they given up? 
Very common on weekends.  Some hotels boost rates on busy nights like NYE to not have party groups but mostly rates dive on non business travel days.

You think those are bad and show a lack of demand, try and book your standard suburban hotel, probably get rates half that cost.

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Dave...did you use Priceline to get those rates?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

NDTeve wrote: Dave...did you use Priceline to get those rates?
mostly, yes. i also use hotwire since their selection sometimes differs. i definitely use betterbidding.com before each transaction.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: mostly, yes. i also use hotwire since their selection sometimes differs. i definitely use betterbidding.com before each transaction.
you could probably book hotels for a living with those rates you found.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

The hotel/travel slump has brought prices down everywhere. Even travelocity has really good rates. Although Priceline still gets you the best deal. To see what the going rate is for each city, go to biddingfortravel.com  The deals will shock you!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Downtowner wrote: The hotel/travel slump has brought prices down everywhere. Even travelocity has really good rates. Although Priceline still gets you the best deal. To see what the going rate is for each city, go to biddingfortravel.com   The deals will shock you!
Thanks for the tips on bidding davekcmo and others. I really am shocked by some of the rates all over the country.

It does put KC in perspective. $99 at Westin Crown Center isn't bad compared to some other deals to be had. I will still argue that it seems Hotel Phillips seems particularly desperate.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Priceline gets me the best price, but since you do not know the name of the hotel until you book it, I keep getting Holiday Inns which I hate because kids stay free and there is always running and shouting up and down the corridors.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Phillips will always have a tough time not being backed by a national chain.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Phillips will always have a tough time not being backed by a national chain.
I'm not a hotel insider, but they seem to have one of the better reputations in this area-- almost upscale? 

It was my understanding the "best" hotels in this region are the Intercontinental on the Plaza, Westin Crown Center + Hotel Phillips according to AAA. Personally, I might prefer the Hyatt (much better lobby + more polished service in my experiences) over the Westin but they seem pretty similar. I've never been into a room at the Phillips, but I haven't heard very glowing reviews.