Folly Theater

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Folly Theater

Post by FangKC »

Folly Theater lands $2M donation from Sunderland Foundation
The Sunderland Foundation pledged $2 million for the effort by the Folly, which the family foundation has been “a generous supporter of” since the theater reopened in 1981, according to a release. The latest donation — the single largest in the Folly’s history — will address efforts to gussy up C. Stephen Metzler Hall.

The renovation will replace all seats with “wider and more comfortable options” and reduce capacity from 1,078 people to 1,006, according to the release. It also will replace carpet, the stage curtain, box seat drapes and entry curtains; renovate the mezzanine lobby and restrooms; and upgrade dressing rooms and backstage areas.
Phase II anticipates starting in early July and wrapping up in October, the release says. The theater will close during the Phase II work.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2021-11-19
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Folly Theater

Post by beautyfromashes »

The renovation will replace all seats with “wider and more comfortable options”...
Kansas City has been eating too much BBQ.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The seating at the Folly really is tight, both width of seats and legroom. I am not a large person and I am uncomfortable there, especially up in the balcony. It has to be a painful experience for someone large or over 6 foot.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's the same for the permanent seats at the Midland Theater. Certain sections of The Midland have the "historic" seats, and they were built for humans who were much smaller than we are today. The last time I saw a concert there my knees were pressed against the back of the seat in front of me. It was painful for me. I didn't enjoy the concert, and wouldn't sit in that section again. I think it's up in the balcony.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation really has to grant some type of waiver that allows for replacement of seats in these historic theaters because it really is unhealthy to force people to sit that way.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

moderne wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:53 am The seating at the Folly really is tight, both width of seats and legroom. I am not a large person and I am uncomfortable there, especially up in the balcony. It has to be a painful experience for someone large or over 6 foot.
Confirmed
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Folly Theater, Kansas City’s ‘Grand Lady of 12th Street,’ reopening after $4.2 million renovation
The Folly Theater added 1,005 new seats that are 2 inches wider than the previous seating that are part of the $4.2 million renovation.
Starting in 2018, the theater had to replace an aging HVAC system on its last legs. The first floor lobbies and Shareholders Lounge got a refresh, but workers had to wait until this July — closing down the theater during that time — to tackle the rest of the public spaces, including new carpeting and curtains, brass handrails and hardwood floors.

“What I love telling people is, ‘This is not your father’s Folly Theater anymore,’” Williams says.

Beyond the aesthetics, Truman says new technology has been built into the more-than-century-old space, including Wi-Fi, data ports, video cameras, live-streaming services and other audio/visual equipment for both performers and audience members.

“We like to say we are Kansas City's only remaining 19th century theater, but we have 21st century comfort amenities,” Truman says. “We have new seats that the hand rails won't fall off and the backs will stay in place.”
https://www.kcur.org/news/2022-10-15/fo ... renovation
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FangKC wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:33 am Folly Theater, Kansas City’s ‘Grand Lady of 12th Street,’ reopening after $4.2 million renovation
The Folly Theater added 1,005 new seats that are 2 inches wider than the previous seating that are part of the $4.2 million renovation.
Starting in 2018, the theater had to replace an aging HVAC system on its last legs. The first floor lobbies and Shareholders Lounge got a refresh, but workers had to wait until this July — closing down the theater during that time — to tackle the rest of the public spaces, including new carpeting and curtains, brass handrails and hardwood floors.

“What I love telling people is, ‘This is not your father’s Folly Theater anymore,’” Williams says.

Beyond the aesthetics, Truman says new technology has been built into the more-than-century-old space, including Wi-Fi, data ports, video cameras, live-streaming services and other audio/visual equipment for both performers and audience members.

“We like to say we are Kansas City's only remaining 19th century theater, but we have 21st century comfort amenities,” Truman says. “We have new seats that the hand rails won't fall off and the backs will stay in place.”
https://www.kcur.org/news/2022-10-15/fo ... renovation
So they’re saying Americans have gotten fatter basically..
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I mean…. Not wrong. Especially in KC…
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I barely fit in those seats when I was a skinny 18-year-old.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The problem was not so much the width of the seats as the lack of leg room. Painful for anyone with more than 24" inseam. Was that addressed?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I would think that would take structural changes. Had the same issues at the Lyric.

36" inseam here.