Urban Target

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Urban Target

Post by dnweava »

earthling wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:57 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:49 pm Tesla space iirc
Yes Amazon in Plaza Tesla space but unclear if 4 Star, Bookstore or Go store. And could just be a temp Popup store for holidays. Not sure if Amazon stores pay attention to what the neighborhood needs (and doesn't need) like many City Targets do.

Downtown could use all Amazon store concepts given how light with retail, in addition to urban Target. Plaza would benefit most from Go store but betting it will be 4 Star.
The Tesla space is becoming a 4 star
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Downtown Pittsburgh apparently close to getting a 22K sqft store with a CVS counter within the store. Looks like they want some dedicated parking, hard to tell if a key to site selection but wouldn't be surprising...

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/d ... 2111180167

Again for context, DT Cosentino's is about 35K sqft.

Brought this up in another thread about CVS closing nearly 10% of stores... might make sense for Target to convert DTKC CVS store to urban Target with just a CVS counter. How many sqft is the DTKC CVS store, seems to be on the lower end of their range but still doable.
Last edited by earthling on Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

earthling wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:32 pm Downtown Pittsburgh apparently close to getting a 22K sqft store with a CVS counter within the store. Looks like they want some dedicated parking, hard to tell if a key to site selection but wouldn't be surprising...

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/d ... 2111180167

Again for context, DT Cosentino's is about 35K sqft.

Brought this up in another thread about CVS closing nearly 10% of stores... might make sense for Target to convert DTKC CVS store to urban Target with just a CVS counter. How many sqft is the DTKC CVS store.
St Louis..Pittsburgh...why does Target hate us lol. We should've had this in like 2018.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^It's in the works for KC. Sounds like they're just trying to find the right location or maybe waiting for one of the residential projects in pipeline to actually happen, which they can base in. The Pittsburgh and STL site selections give some key insight.

BTW, found that DTKC CVS is 14K sqft. It's in Target's city store range but is small. My guess is they go with Crown Center or Midtown, but apparently they are still rolling out smaller stores that could work in CBD.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:39 pm BTW, found that DTKC CVS is 14K sqft. It's in Target's city store range but is small.
What about the basement?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

From what I remember the basement was 75% of the main floor. I'm sure the other 25% was storage
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

What’s that basement even up to these days?

I’m guessing target would like access to parking directly through the store.

How big is spectrum station? (I’m not recommending kicking kids out don’t worry).

I wonder if commerce wouldn’t be up for a rethink and renovations of their ground levels.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:43 pm
earthling wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:39 pm BTW, found that DTKC CVS is 14K sqft. It's in Target's city store range but is small.
What about the basement?
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:45 pm From what I remember the basement was 75% of the main floor. I'm sure the other 25% was storage

^So about 24K sqft total two floors if the case, about same as PIT store.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

MAC also said they have added a few parking spots in their Armour/Main project and will have 40K sqft commercial space. A bit odd to make that kind of adjustment when unit count also decreased so wonder if that's about accommodating Target?

Also for context, Chicago Wicker Park Target is about 13K sqft, River North store about 17K sqft.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Midtown Detroit also getting a 32K sqft Target. The MAC Armour/Main project with 40K sqft sure sounds like a potential possibility, especially given the odd parking change.

https://www.mlive.com/business/2021/10/ ... troit.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm surprised about the Armour/Main possibility. I would have thought it is too close to the Ward Parkway store, and would only eat into current customers there.

I'm also surprised that the Freighthouse Podium Project at 21st and Main isn't in the running.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Armour/Main about halfway between DT/Plaza especially from streetcar perspective makes it a realistic choice. And urban Targets tend to be TOD oriented but sounds like they want a few parking spots. I think the Plaza is too close to WP location and too far away from DT but not Armour. It's a Goldilocks spot. But if CVS closes downtown store, could see Target seriously considering stepping in there as well with CVS just operating the pharmacy counter.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Wouldn't be surprising if the CVS announcement changes the dynamics of Target site selection going forward or vice versa. Such as CVS potentially closing 39th/Main location if operating out of nearby Target, though would lose drivethru for better/worse.

Freighthouse project seems plausible too.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Could it be possible that Target really wants to hit the market. Do a small store in the current downtown CVS location, with limited items etc. Basically looking to service the residents of downtown, River Market, and tourists/business travelers. Then build more of a standard retail store, with more options and such at the Main/Armor location? Depending on the size it could really be a big anchor for midtown. There is a COSTCO just up the street that services a lot of same residents, different store & goods but it could show Target that it works
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I was thinking something similar but more like 2-3 urban format Targets as city core population grows. The CVS announcement of closures especially could be an opportunity to do more small format Targets in many markets.

Am waiting for that announcement from somewhere in the country that Target takes over an urban CVS lease. Not saying it will happen but am almost expecting it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

How big is the Chinatown Food market in the River Market? It's several levels, right?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Some other tidbits..
Target Corp. opened on Oct. 24 a new 30,000-square-foot store at 250 E. Lancaster Ave. in Wynnewood. It will employ 60 people. It is the ninth small-format store for Target in the Philadelphia area, where it has a total of 45 locations employing nearly 8,000 people.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:51 pm How big is the Chinatown Food market in the River Market? It's several levels, right?
21,896 sq. feet, 3-levels above ground, one below.
Last edited by FangKC on Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

A small store recently opened in Madison about 15K sqft, two levels.

https://madison.com/wsj/business/watch- ... o%20levels.

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Ft Collins store also recently opens..
"The new Fort Collins location is about 45,000 square feet and employs 80 people. The store includes a CVS Pharmacy and a Starbucks."

https://www.reporterherald.com/2021/11/ ... t-collins/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Behold The Tiny Target:Why Small Stores Are A Big Deal For The Retailer’s Future
https://www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2021 ... ts-future/
As far as the small stores are concerned, Target said they are far less formulaic than the large boxes it operates across the country, noting that each is unique and tailored to meet the hyper-local needs of a particular neighborhood or demographic. Because these smaller spaces cover a lot less ground, Target said its teams actually have to be “extra efficient” when planning how to stock the shelves.

“We do plenty of research to understand the surrounding community and its needs,” the company’s plan states. “So a small-format [store] located near a bustling tourist shopping destination might have a vastly different assortment than another store just six blocks away, located in a residential area with lots of families with kids and babies.”
I don't know if Amazon 4-Star does hyper-local research to select product line but they probably should if not.

Back to CVS closure announcement, can imagine in the long run for KC's city core that Target has a 3-4 stores in urban core meeting needs by district with CVS operating a pharmacy counter and closing most urban locations, leaving a couple full CVS on outskirts with a drivethru.