Kindler Hotel (1110 Grand)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Kindler Hotel (1110 Grand)

Post by flyingember »

I have photos of the inside somewhere. It was in super rough shape and very 1960s and 70s on the interior.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Wonder when the balustrade on top disappeared?
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

I’d say when they added the additional floors.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Major KC Fan wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:17 am I’d say when they added the additional floors.
Nope:

Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Wow! I’d say reproduce them for the rehab.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

cardium wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:16 pm Zaina has a sign up saying they are moving to Crown Center.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ption.html
Hammersmith
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Hammersmith »

I spoke to the guy in Zaina the other day. He said that their plan is to use the larger kitchen space they'll have to focus more on dining in rather than just take out, and expand the menu. Best of luck to them, Zaina rocks and deserves a better space.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

June 1 start submitted according to....
https://www.construction.com/projects/d ... renovation
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Project is green-lighted and ready to go now after being in limbo for 2 years, according to KCBJ.
At the time, Castaneda said he was determining whether such a project was feasible.

The answer is yes, pending coming city approvals. A $24 million proposal would see the historic structure undergo a gut rehabilitation into the Kindler Hotel at the Borel Building, with 35 rooms composed mostly of suites. The hotel's main floor would house Boitano's Lounge, with a piano bar and food service managed by Brian Boitano, an Olympic gold medal figure skater and Food Network host. The building previously housed Mediterranean restaurant Zaina

The first project to say the World Cup helped tip the decision towards pulling the trigger:
Castaneda said multiple factors contribute to his interest in Downtown as a home for his second Kindler Hotel — including the nearby Kansas City Power & Light District; a prospective new ballpark for the Kansas City Royals; and the region's recent selection to host 2026 FIFA World Cup games.

"That's not the reason you build a hotel long term, but it's definitely a spark," he said of the World Cup's coming hospitality benefits.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... grand.html
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:02 pm
35 rooms
"That's not the reason you build a hotel long term, but it's definitely a spark," he said of the World Cup's coming hospitality benefits.
[/quote]

all you need to know
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:12 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:02 pm
35 rooms

all you need to know
So, it's a spark?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

35 rooms is irrelevant in our drive to grow convention, events, and tourism. It’s not helpful for business travel either.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:46 pm 35 rooms is irrelevant
I see you often say many projects/acquisitions KC makes are irrelevant. But bit by bit all these projects add up to alot over time.

It's important to take any little piece we can get- this space is gonna have a much better ground floor retail space as well. Do we even have any neatly tucked away hotels like this?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:51 pm
I see you often say many projects/acquisitions KC makes are irrelevant. But bit by bit all these projects add up to alot over time.

It's important to take any little piece we can get- this space is gonna have a much better ground floor retail space as well.
It’s 35 hotel rooms. 1,000 35 room hotels still = 0 committable rooms.

There are crumbs and then there are Lego blocks. Hotel Bravo is a Lego piece, Loews another piece, the airport another piece.

It’s likely I under exaggerate the importance of some projects but only because you over exaggerate them into the stratosphere.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:53 pm

It's important to take any little piece we can get- this space is gonna have a much better ground floor retail space as well.

There are crumbs and then there are Lego blocks. Hotel Bravo is a Lego piece, Loews another piece, the airport another piece.

It’s likely I under exaggerate the importance of some projects but only because you over exaggerate them into the stratosphere.
Don't know what the exaggeration was or anything else I've exaggerated (except the Royals crossroads site) but I agree with you on Hotel Bravo. I fought for it on here and most of the board freaked out about it. Should've been more support for it.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:51 pm It's important to take any little piece we can get- this space is gonna have a much better ground floor retail space as well. Do we even have any neatly tucked away hotels like this?
Right across the street is the Ambassador hotel with 113 rooms even after an expansion to that many. Before it had 43 rooms.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

normalthings wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:53 pm

I don't think you can over exaggerate the importance the small hotels are making for downtown street life. The Crossroads, 21C, both Hotel Indigos, Hotel KC, and the Ambassador have not only added rooms and improved buildings, but have also made the streets outside their doors safer and a lot more lively. Add to this a potential hotel in the Palace department store, old Federal Reserve, Rialto building and now the Kindler, this adds up to a nice "Lego block".

I thought the Hotel Bravo was dead.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I obtained a document today pertaining to this project. It includes some renderings. The copper facade will be restored. 20 of the 35 rooms will be two Queen suites, 10 will be King suites, and 5 will be King Executive suites. Boitano's Lounge, on the first floor, will be able to hold 50 people. The Cadeava Board Room, the hotel's meeting space, will be 442sf. Other amenities include a small fitness center, concierge services, valet service and guest laundry.

Other details are provided in the document, but I won't post them here. Mostly financing, projections, loan payoff periods, and other things relevant for investors and so on.

Looks like they're going for a modern-deco vibe.
Last edited by Chris Stritzel on Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I likey. Especially the windows down to the floor. And maybe I'm wrong but the lounge area comes across as a blurred modern take on art deco or some kind of fusion to such a past era.
Last edited by earthling on Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

earthling wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:32 pm I likey. Especially the windows down to the floor.
It sort of reminds me of a hotel on Michigan Avenue in Chicago called the Hotel Julian, but just a little bit. That one had extra floors added on top to add capacity. Modern deco is the style, so it makes sense you get that feel of the lounge.